Maptun problems: (EDIT: Maptun comes through!) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2004, 08:49 AM   #1
Trollerator
Elder

Maptun problems: (EDIT: Maptun comes through!)

Well, stage 1 maptun chip is not working properly.

The car bucks back and forth when under hard acceleration.

when I really get on the gas, the car totally starts to take off like a rocket, the boost guage flies all the way over to the end of the red, and it feels like a rocket is attached to the car...and then it does this stop-go-stop-go thing like it's either hitting a fuel cut out or maybe hitting some sort of dead spots. it will accelerate like mad and then "hiccup", it just loses all power and "bucks" and then begins to accelerate again and then "bucks" again... it keeps doing this until I let off the gas. it will do this in any/all gears, as long as i give it some gas, reagrdles of whether i hit kick down button or not, as long as it is hard acceleration... normal city driving seems fine! this feels very scary when you are trying to pass someone on the highway! I also fear for the mechanical components of the car, it does not soound or feel healthy when this happens!

I was told to check if i have platinum plugs and if so to swap them for NKG BCPR7ES, and also that maybe my DI is not good enough for uprated ECU's, something may be wrong with it. But my car only has 16000 miles and works fine and boost right up to the red and even dips into the red a tiny bit when I put the stock ECU back in, so are either of these options (new plugs, new DI) worth a shot or is it more likely to be a problem with the software?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2004, 09:57 AM   #2
SAABeginner

check the plugs, and just replace em. its good to replace them about every 10 thousand miles, if not more. then, are you running a mbc? if so, that could be the problem, try returning it to stock. it definitely seems like youre hitting a feul cut.

Hope the problem gets solved soon, sounds like its gonna be fun with that ecu.

-Frank
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-29-2004, 10:01 AM   #3
Trollerator
Elder

car is totally STOCK, no MBC or anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan

Old 06-29-2004, 11:12 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

This might be a long shot....I don't think a stage 1 program should boost all the way to the end of the red....my BSR stage 1 doesnt and my Chipcenter stage 1 didnt either. Maybe you got a stage 3 program accidentally and it is too much for the stock hardware to handle. I've no experience with Maptun programming so I could be wrong.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:50 AM   #5

Honestly, I'd call maptun - or the distributor you bought from. They will probably have a much better handle on troubleshooting chip related problems than we will.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:53 AM   #6
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaamottomaax
This might be a long shot....I don't think a stage 1 program should boost all the way to the end of the red....my BSR stage 1 doesnt and my Chipcenter stage 1 didnt either. Maybe you got a stage 3 program accidentally and it is too much for the stock hardware to handle. I've no experience with Maptun programming so I could be wrong.
I actually thought that right away. i didn't think it should boost so far... I suggested that it might be the wrong stage and they insist they put the right program on there. it says stage 1 on the outside, but that doesn't mean anything...

This is really disappointing, because this is the second time they F**ed up. First time they didn't ask for the code for TWICE and the car would not start with the new ECU because it wasn't programmed with the immobiliser code. Maptun didn't notice and let the transaction go through like that.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 06-29-2004, 12:01 PM   #7
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver found
Honestly, I'd call maptun - or the distributor you bought from. They will probably have a much better handle on troubleshooting chip related problems than we will.
Hey, give me some credit, here.

that was the FIRST thing I did, it's just that I am getting more excuses from them than solutions or real answers. everything they suggest as a possible fix costs money, and i already spent 1300 dollars on this chip plus 60 dollars to ship it back after they F** up the first time. And all these fixes they suggest come with the "I cannot guarantee this will fix it" clause....

I want to see if anyone here has any knowledge that might help me make my desicion. I mean, if putting different plugs in is not gonna work, I want to know before I spend the money on plugs, torque wrenches and various greases and goos....

I called the distributor who then called maptun. they seem to think their software is fine and the correct stage, but this is not the first time they messed up my order, so i don't know how confident they really can be about that statement... they also told me SQR also has the same problems when I threatened to take my business there instead. Does that sound true, has anyone heard any SQR horror stories?

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 06-29-2004, 12:37 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

jeeez... that's definitely gonna make me hold up on my maptun purchase.. i was gonna go for a stage 3 or 4 chip with my mods i currently have done.. but if this shit's gonna fuck up then i dunno.. let me know how this thing turns out
Old 06-29-2004, 01:26 PM   #9
ERP

Send a message via AIM to ERP
It sounds like uncontrolled boost and you are spiking to fuel cut. I don’t think it is a software problem, but a hardware failure that is keeping the Maptun software from correctly controlling boost. My guess is the BPC solenoid is not functioning correctly. You should try swapping in another one. Or to just make your Saab more drivable connect the boost pressure hose directly to the wastegate. You will only get base boost but you wont have to worry about fuel cut.

Question; at 50% throttle do you only hit mid boost pressures or will it spike to fuel cut? I do not think that plugs or the DI is causing the problem.
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
Old 06-29-2004, 01:32 PM   #10
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERP
My guess is the BPC solenoid is not functioning correctly. You should try swapping in another one. Or to just make your Saab more drivable connect the boost pressure hose directly to the wastegate. .
ERP, is that Ok to do for a T-7? (re wiring the hoses like that?)

If I only had a Saab buddy nearby to me who cold help me with this and let me borrow some parts for a test run.... I gotta now go hunting for parts I may or may not need, just to try this out? Man, this is turning into such a freaking project! this is just my luck.

Quote:
You will only get base boost but you wont have to worry about fuel cut.
sorry, I am still a turbo newbie. What does that mean, that bascially the chip will not really be increasing boost? twhy not just go back to stock ECU?

Quote:
Question; at 50% throttle do you only hit mid boost pressures or will it spike to fuel cut? I do not think that plugs or the DI is causing the problem.
at lower than full throttle the car seemed to drive just fine.
[/quote]

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 06-29-2004, 01:44 PM   #11
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERP
My guess is the BPC solenoid is not functioning correctly. You should try swapping in another one...
wow. holy crap, i called the dealer anf they want $263.75 for one.

I think that is a bit much since I don't even know if that is the problem.

anyone know where I can find the part number so i can look to see if there is any good deals on a used one or something?

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 06-29-2004, 02:08 PM   #12
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
If your reffering to the APC solenoid, I believe the Part number is 7485576.

Im really sorry to hear about this. There have been many other success stories with Maptun, so maybe its just hardware issues. Have you had boost problems prior to the ECU...cause if so the ECU would only magnify those problems.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Old 06-29-2004, 03:31 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

That APC solenoid is expensive. I've had two fail, but both times failed to base boost. Not uncommon for it to fail to WOT. Might be worth a quick swap with your buddys valve. Maybe a five minute job.

On another note I've had problems with SQR ECU's. Three tries now and it's still not right. First try was a stage III and the second two on custom guesstimate Stage IV+. Can't really fault them for the stage IV's since the have never seen the car. Everyone makes mistakes, try and find if you have hardware failures.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:26 PM   #14

Check out Goldwing for used Saab parts. 800-saab-137 The BPC does sound like a logical reason...they are known to fail. If the car runs fine with the stock ECU I would bet it's the software. Tough call having to buy parts with blind hope. Did you send in your core? The PPC is pretty slick. If you have had numerous problems I would send it back personally.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:12 AM   #15

If it's the BPC as all you guys suggest, then why isn't it failing for the stock program as well? Seems to me like if it was stuck one way or the other (i.e. stuck open and you're only getting base boost or stuck shut and you're getting uncontrolled boost) it would be stuck no matter what chip was in there.

What psi is the fuel cutoff? That's what it sounds like to me too but I can't imagine why the chip would be letting you hit it.

Do you have a real boost gauge or just the one in the dash?

And sorry about my comment earlier. I should have assumed that you'd think of that!
Old 06-30-2004, 07:27 AM   #16
Trollerator
Elder

this just sucks. I am a bit cooler headed now after having some time to think about this, and consider the possibility it may be hardware related. part of why i went with maptun is i have trolled saablink, saabcentral, saacscene, tsn, and never heard anything bad, only AWESOME maptun stories.

this seems to be just my luck. yesterday on my lunch break a giant pigeion took a shit from about 50 feet in the air and it landed on my foot, right in between the two straps on my birks, so it actully hit my foot and not the sandals. that is my luck the last few days. my girlfriend informed me that that bird pooping on me thing is supposed to mean GOOD luck.

so, no I don'y have a real boost guage, just stock.

I have no saab buddies close by to swap parts with. (does anybody got a free day this weekend who doesn't live too far, and wouldn't mind lending some 9-3 SE parts for 30 minutes or so for a test drive with the maptun ecu? have saab, will drive...) hopefully i will get some good news today and be able to find some of these parts cheap....

this is gonna be tough to sort out but I want to give it a shot, because if it works, I can tell this software will kick some serious ass...

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 06-30-2004, 09:04 AM   #17
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
I think there's some folks around your neck of the woods. If i was closer, then I'd roll up there.

Man that pigeon story was hilarious though...I didn't know it was good luck either lol.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Old 07-01-2004, 11:43 PM   #18
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via ICQ to bollman Send a message via AIM to bollman
The solenoid for a T7 is not that expensive! Here in Sweden, it´s about $50! The T5 solenoid on the other hand is verrry expensive, like the price you´ve got.
Hitting fuel cut off is not good for the car, don´t do that often!

Disconnecting the APC (solenoid) is good way to test that the WG is working correctly. With the valve disconnected you should see a little boost, but not more than a little bit into the yellow area on the stock gauge. If you get more than that, your WG may have problems.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:45 PM   #19
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via ICQ to bollman Send a message via AIM to bollman
And oh, if you´re not too good with cars, finding the APC is easy. Just locate your turbo, follow the smaller hoses that connect to it. The will come together at a plastic thingie with a wire coming into it. The wire is detachable. Voila!
Old 07-02-2004, 06:02 AM   #20
TSLMember

I hate to put in my two cents but, I believe the whole upgrading Ecu's or Power modules, is a big waste of time and money. All I know is that someone out there is getting rich off you guys. The cost of upgrades, and doing more then once becomes expensive.
A poor excuess for not doing job right first time.
I strongly recommend a stand alone EFI system. I have had good luck with SDSEFI. For around a $1000 you can have full control of tuning too your needs. Plus you can get kits that include ignition coil packs, with hall sensor pick up, letting you get rid of distributor if equipped. Also there systems don't need a Laptop to tune,they give you a hand held LCD programmer.(which also acts as theft device, by removing and takeing with you cant start car). I think the best feature for us Turbo owners is Anti-lag Programming. Ignition timing is retarded and fuel supply incresed under high manifold vacunm conditions. The fuel is forced to burn in the exhaust system which keeps turbine spooled up to some degree during closed throttle conditions. I love Flames shoting out exhaust
Although not a "bolt on" I think the cost over long term is definatly worth it.
But then again I'm against all the companies who sell obsorbently high priced parts, because of the name plate on car. Or maybe its the fact that some of the parts these supposed tuner shops sell are made out of house, but meanwhile back at the Skunk works in my basement I'm doing the work that they can not do. I have been cursed

Go Swift, Go Safe, Go Saab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in