Maptun problems: (EDIT: Maptun comes through!) - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2004, 06:31 AM   #21
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I'm going to have to disagree at least in the T7 scenario. The ability to break down and reprogram a T7 ECU is no small feat and the companies that offer these reprogrammed ECU's have people on board with skills held by maybe 20 people worldwide. Ideally these cars should be recalibrated with every piece of hardware added which involves many many hours of tuning and dyno time. Unfortunately this is not readily available here in the US so we make do with generric programs designed with certain hardware in mind. These cars are extremely complex and the cost paid is not because of the nameplate. Compare prices of Saab performance parts with Audi or MB performance parts and you will be suprised how inexpensive these parts really are.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2004, 08:23 AM   #22
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Im going to have to disagree as well.

ECU reprogramming is not easy task. Like Xaa was saying there's few people that know how to properly tune the 3 dimensional fuel maps of ECUs w/o causing severe damage to an engine.

These ECU upgrades that Maptun, Abbott, SQR, and other companies sell are basically plug and play so that the Average Joe could acquire it without spending more and more money having their car constantly tuned by a someone who knows the system.

The EFI system you have is great for people who know how to tune, and know what the best timing and fueling is for different RPMs, but limited people know this. The good thing is that with Maptun (I'm not sure about other companies), you can upgraded stages for only $100.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-02-2004, 09:52 AM   #23
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via ICQ to bollman Send a message via AIM to bollman
I´d like to see you make a good tuning for a T7 engine xaa! Bypassing the whole ECU and getting control over the DI, MAP, MAF, knock-sensors and so on without risking the driveability and reliability of your engine is no task I would recommend anyone without a solid education in engine dynamics!
My experience with ECU upgrades is nothing but good and I´m quite sure that the problem here is something else than the ECU. You may find the price high, but that would be nothing compared to running into knock on high boost due to some miscalculation...

Old 07-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #24
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I have a loley T5, but if you need me Sat. Call my cell (315) 794-6434.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 07-02-2004, 11:03 AM   #25

Boll I think you read my name with someone else's post.....I would like to see myself make a good tuning for a T7 car as well...I sure wish I could!
Old 07-02-2004, 11:23 AM   #26
Trollerator
Elder

poo poo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 07-02-2004, 11:26 AM   #27

Who is your distributor?
Old 07-03-2004, 12:44 AM   #28
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Duh! My mistake! I meant 'theoriginalscion' sorry!

Back to the topic, have you tried contacting maptun right away? Complain about the dealer not wanting to help, and if they have some suggestions as to where to look for problems. Also, you could take your problems to a SAAB dealer. Tell them that the car overboosts (but put your original box in) and let them have a look at it. At least, they know what parts to check (although this may be a expensive solution...).
Old 07-03-2004, 12:53 AM   #29
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Hey, have you tried disconnecting the solenoid? I just thought that if your wastegate is a little stuck, this could happen. Plz try to disconnect the solenoid and go for a ride. If the boost level is more than halfway into the yellow area, you have trouble with base boost.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:06 AM   #30
Avid TSL User

Did I read correctly that your car only has 16000 miles on it?!?

If so the solenoid should still be covered by the warranty, as would the dealer visit that Bollman suggested - could be the cheapest way to go, but make sure you put the stock ECU in.

C
Old 07-05-2004, 05:02 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to Viggen Kid
hey this might not help your problem, but you should get an aftermarket direvert valve as i'm sure the stock ones can't handle the power...

Old 07-06-2004, 01:01 PM   #32
Trollerator
Elder

Ok, A really good independant Saab mechanic said basically without a doubt I am hitting fuel cutoff, and that I should adjust base boost, and it SHOULD take care of this. He has some experience with maptun ECU's, apparently, and he knew after speaking to me on the phone for all of 1 minute.

I will be seeing him Friday, so he can go over the car and be sure that nothing else is wrong with any valves, solenoids, apc's, plugs, DI cassettes, or who knows what else. Hopefully I will be able to tell you all how sick this ECU is by saturday.

Jeez, this seems so simple now in retrospect, but I wonder why Maptun themselves couldn't figure this out. they said it was plugs or DI, I had a feeling that was not it! I even told them that my "saab friends" on the internet suggested the idea of base boost being wrong, and they said it was not likely. Yet a mechanic who never even saw my car and a bunch of people on the internet who have not peered under the hood either both came to about the same exact conclusion.... wastegate/base boost

like I said, after Friday, hopefully this turns from a problem with it not working into a problem with me trying to slow this car down!

Thanks everyone who tried to help, If I had more time this week i would have taken your suggestions and been fumbling about under the hood trying to adjust this myself...

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 07-06-2004, 02:09 PM   #33
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Well at least we were able to offer some insight. Boosting that much on a Stage 1 is pretty odd though. Can't wait to hear more about it once everything is fixed.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Old 07-06-2004, 04:26 PM   #34
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

See we know more than the distributors...woohoo, lemme kno whow it goes, for i have the same car as you and would like ot get this program
Old 07-12-2004, 08:16 AM   #35
Trollerator
Elder

Here's the latest in the neverending drama:

went to see a good mechanic who races Saabs. he said my car is fine, I maybe just need to adjust the base boost. We lengthened the wastegate rod a half turn, still hits fuel cut.

another half turn, fuel cut.

another half, fuel cut.

another half, fuel cut.

total turns, about 4 or 4 and a half, still hits fuel cut in sprot mode, but in normal mode seems to be about 1 out of 10 times it will hit fuel cut, so this seems driveable. We tested it on these country back roads, where it is 55 mph roads and nothing insight but farms and barns... hit about 120 in about a 1/4 mile strip of road. Car pulled like a freight train, it just pulls, and pulls, it was almost scary. Really need suspension upgrades, and brakes too!

So, i thought I was all set, i get on the highway to make the long trip home, I go to pass, and BAM! fuel cuts out real hard!

So the car will still cut fuel when already at speed (65+) and you give it some gas... but starting from zero it seems to be OK. And all this is with the base boost taken down about 4-5 PSI!!!!!!!

Any ideas what i should do here, anything else i could check? I am thinking this thing is going back ASAP and i am getting a refund. Then, next summer I will do Koni's and Eibachs, viggen rotors or something, and maybe after that look into Nordic or SQR...

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 07-12-2004, 10:42 AM   #36
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

This is strange. Any chance you can get hold of a good boost gauge to record at what boost it cuts off and if the boost seems to race? The valve may be sticking sometimes, it has happend to me and then the boost just goes straight up in the blue and cut off is imminent (I have manged to let go of the gas when I see it coming). I have managed to "fix" the valve for now, but I may have to change it. The changes you´ve made to base boost is only when the valve is closed, even if you´re base boost is too high, the valve should keep it below cut off (although the ability to avoid spikings may suffer).
Old 07-12-2004, 12:49 PM   #37

i am doing all supporting mods first to my car, as i have the same car as u pretty much 2001 9-3se hot my suspension will be here next week, (eibach springs r great) brakes will be done next, intake mbc and boost gauge already in, turbo timer wired but needs to be re-wired, and i dont think i will get a maptun, due to the problems u r having.

does anyone know if the bsr ppc is compatible with an automatic transmission?
Old 07-12-2004, 01:39 PM   #38
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricot83
i dont think i will get a maptun, due to the problems u r having.

does anyone know if the bsr ppc is compatible with an automatic transmission?
I think all the tuners have programs for auto trannies....

This is the first time I have heard of any problems with Maptun. And usually people SHOUT when they have a bad experience, and are quiter when there is a good one. So you'd think if there were others out there with maptun problems, We'd have heard about it by now. that's why i am so confused by this. I have only heard the best about maptun, and yet i am having a tough time getting this thing to work.

i have written a very long email to Maptun, to see if they can help, before I send my ECU back for a refund. It is really amazing, up until the point where it overboosts and hits fuel cut. I really would like to keep it, but only if it works properly and safely.

oh, you might consider SQR, too. i have been hearing scary stories about the PPC system frying people's ECU's and making them unusable. They can't even put their stock software back on it, they just get fried and without an ECU your car is not going anywhere.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 07-12-2004, 02:08 PM   #39

i am just not sure where the closest place is to CT where i can get an ecu upgrade.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:13 PM   #40

What is this about the PPC? I have not heard anything like this and I'm curious what has happened? Mine installed just fine but I have not tried to put the stock program back. When installing you have to remove a few fuses...maybe this was not done or the wrong fuses were pulled. The pictures of the fuses included in the directions did not match the fuse box on my car so I had to double check to make sure I was pulling the right ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in