Eric's DIY Short Shifter - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 03:30 PM   #1
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Eric's DIY Short Shifter

Check this out. Yes you can actually DIY now, thanks to Eric and his Saab Site!!! Its kinda difficult however

http://www.lehigh.edu/~erp4/saab/Upg...rtShifter.html

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2003, 05:50 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Kewl mod... I'm gonna have to try it.

BTW.. the main reason you need to go with a Saab knob is to interface the reverse release ring with the release mechanism. Because this goes away as aport of the mod, you can use any shift knob...

hmmm... finally I can put on the chrome skull with the blinky LED eyes on the shifter.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-10-2003, 04:33 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

looks like a fun and great mod to do to stop those missed shifts when you really want to move along. gonna have to ask if there is a pic of it in the car to see if it lookes alot different after lifting the mounting plate possibly cut and rethread to make a bit shorter (sense the lenght isnt changed) for a custome shift nob

Old 12-11-2003, 10:16 AM   #4
Administrator
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to turbosb
Sorry Cedric but I beat you!!! Check out my post right b4 yours

Kyle
Old 12-11-2003, 11:02 AM   #5
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosb
Sorry Cedric but I beat you!!! Check out my post right b4 yours

Kyle
Nooo siiiirrreeee. I gotcha on the timing, almost by a full day. Mine: Dec 10 12:30 AM...yours Dec 10 11:59 PM.

Hehe nice try tho

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:16 PM   #6
WS
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to WS
after you do this mod u said u can use any shift knob. What size shift knob would you order and would u just glue it on or what????? Im definatly thinking of doing this cause its better to spend 4 hours doin it than spend $250 and spend 2 hours intsalling it from saabsavior.
-BSR Cat-Back and Intake
Old 12-19-2003, 05:30 AM   #7
HNNLIC
Elder

Usually, shift knobs stay on by a screw on one side, or both sides of the knob. You can pretty much get any size.

Old 12-20-2003, 03:11 PM   #8
Administrator
Avid TSL User

I have a MOMO carbon fiber shift nob on mine. It was really easy to put on although I did saw a bit of the rod down a bit because it was a little taller than the stock one. I can post pictures if anyone wants me to.

Kyle
Old 12-22-2003, 08:57 AM   #9
HNNLIC
Elder

Yea if you could post pics, i'd appreciate that. Im thinking of getting a new shift knob as well, and I'd like to know the process ahead of time.

Old 12-23-2003, 01:17 PM   #10
Administrator
Avid TSL User

I am getting a new digital camera for x-mas so as soon as I figure out how it works I will post a ton of pics of my car. Merry Christmas all!!

Kyle
Old 12-29-2003, 08:59 AM   #11
Administrator
Avid TSL User

Here are some pics of my MOMO shift knob and boot. It was very easy to install. I removed the hard plastic piece at the top of the shaft and the plastic pieces for the "lift to get into reverse". There is a rectangular plastic piece at the base that holds the boot in place. I just used a knife to cut holes so the tabs could fit through the boot and hold them both in place. The knob has 3 screws that hold it in place. I sawed off the threaded part of the shaft so it would be around the same length as it was stock. This way the angle of the throws are maintained and you don't grind at all. Thats about it. If anyone has questions just ask!

Kyle
Old 12-29-2003, 10:13 AM   #12
HNNLIC
Elder

Nice...very nice. I like he carbon fiber look of it. Why did you replace the boot?

Old 12-29-2003, 11:24 AM   #13
Administrator
Avid TSL User

The original boot that came with the car was the rubber one with the "folds" in it. I really just thought it was plain ugly. I like the leather ones better. I think they have a more clean and classy appearance.

Kyle
Old 12-29-2003, 01:42 PM   #14
HNNLIC
Elder

Ahh okay. Mine came with a leather one already...so I was like uhh?!?

Old 12-29-2003, 05:09 PM   #15
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to trexturk
whats is that switch for?
And nice camera, what kind is it?
Old 12-30-2003, 10:32 AM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

i think that switch is for ignition, but i'm not him, so i have no idea, and what's a caera?

~justin

I ĐRIVE SWEĐISH
Old 12-31-2003, 05:44 AM   #17
Administrator
Avid TSL User

The switch is my dual stage boost controller. I flip it, and I get 21psi instantly I just got the camera for christmas, its a Fuji FinePix S5000. I can take up to 6 megapixels with it Plus I got a wide angle lens, filters and a couple of other accessories. Going to Wisconsin to celebrate new years and go skiing so I will see all of you next year!! (or saturday ) Happy New Years everyone!!!

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in