b234 is here! picks for kicks - Page 5 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 05:51 PM   #81
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Makeyousaab
I thought you could re-use the camshafts from the b234i because they have a longer light/duration you'll see some more top end but loose bottom end?

1999 9-3 Vert. STG = pretty fast
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2007, 05:51 PM   #82
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Yeah, I would sell it or see if they can give you some kind of compensation...you need to make sure that they knew you were using this for a turbo and that they informed you that a N/A block would be a direct swap...otherwise they already have all the CYA they need and could just say tough shit.

Please tell me you didn't pay a lot for that sucker.

edit- Makeyousaab...the cam swap is not definitive yet, I believe several people have tried using one cam from a N/A car and one from a Turbo car and then ran it street tuned, but didn't really like it. I think Nick and some others are planning to do more research and get some hard data on this though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 8valvegrowl; 01-24-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:02 PM   #83
JK
Elder

Wow...lots of confuction here huh? Sounds like it's gotten straightened out though. Good luck with getting the new pistons, rods, and wrist pins...howfully you con find some used ones.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #84

Send a message via AIM to bozs13 Send a message via MSN to bozs13 Send a message via Skype™ to bozs13
ah shit, I feel ...not too good right now

I have a feeling I just lost a lot of money

what would it take to convert it over to "R" specs? once and for all so I can be sure I need to sell it FUCK!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bozs13; 01-24-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #85
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Hey man, it happens to the best of us.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #86

Send a message via AIM to bozs13 Send a message via MSN to bozs13 Send a message via Skype™ to bozs13
I'm pissed...but I guess I'll still upload the pics of this troublemaker
I took them earlier, might as well post em

Old 01-24-2007, 07:26 PM   #87
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Well........you could always make a really fast go kart with it . Jump into the chat room bozs.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:34 PM   #88
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
holy rust! did the store the damn thing under water?!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #89
Avid TSL User

Im glad we dont have rust in Palm Desert.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:00 PM   #90
Elder

So what are you going to end up doing?

Old 01-24-2007, 08:07 PM   #91
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehayes01 View Post
So to clarify then the block,crank and head are identical but the piston and rods need to be changed?

I am assuming that the rods are the same stroke in turbo vs. non turbo but that the beefiness of them is different... would that be a correct assumption?

Maybe not, the compression ratio of the naturally aspirated engine is higher, they do this in one of three ways. One, they make different pistons that are higher compression pistons or two, they make the rod slightly longer for higher compression. Three, they use a higher compression head or head gasket. The na pistons are weaker too. The turbo rods are very beefy, my race engine builder said they look like a small block chevy 350 crank and rods!

After saying that, I personally think its just the pistons that change the compression, but that one I am not sure about?

For the 234i and 234R swap it only needs rods, pistons of a turbo model and then the cams in the head are different, but some say they work well in a turbo model. More top end, less bottom end according to Nick at gs.

In ng900, swap from 2.0 to 2.3 is only crank, rods, pistons from 234r.

2.5L is made by boring out the 2.3 block and putting in 93mm pistons, when you do the math you can see this is close to a 2.5L.

Clarify: Block and crank are the same, but cams in na head are differnt.

2.0 and 2.3's on t5, its crank, rods pistons needed to convert from 2.0 to 2.3 stroker motor... The well behaved 234r engine is a box, its 90mm by 90mm The bore and stoke are identical.... John

Last edited by JZW; 01-24-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:09 PM   #92
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
John do you know if putting B204 pistons onto the B234 rods will make a turbo friendly setup?
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 01-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #93
JZW
Elder

I think if you set the compression up right it can be done. The 2.0 rods and pistons are differnt and a short stroke set-up, but I know Abbott will make a 2.3 motor out of your 2.0 motor with new 234r cramk, 2.3 rods and machined 2.0 pistons for a higher compression set-up. Most people just buy the 234r short block and then just swap the entire block with crank, rods and pistons or pull them out and swap them over with a cylinder hone and new rings
Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #94
Elder

dude...it is not worth converting that to turbo...you need to try and get you rmoney back.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #95
Flirting With TSL Addiction

how much did you pay for the engine?

Old 01-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
how much did you pay for the engine?
850 shipped
53k miles
100 day warranty

Old 01-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #97
Elder

Do they have any turbo engines. I would call them and tell them your situation. If you told them or have emails of you telling them you needed a turbo engine, they should reimburse you.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:50 PM   #98
dip
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Skype™ to dip
I'd find a way to return or sell it. Converting it to a turbo spec is not cost effective, you can buy a whole new engine for this kind of money. Talk to the wrecker, say you needed a turbo engine, and this one does not fit your car. Don't get into the NG900 swap details with them, it will only complicate things.

Cooper, please update the sticky Q&A section. Change it so it reads "You need a turbo engine for a swap - B234E, B234L or B234R. The naturally aspirated B234I is not suitable." Currently it just says "B234", which is confusing.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip View Post
I'd find a way to return or sell it. Converting it to a turbo spec is not cost effective, you can buy a whole new engine for this kind of money. Talk to the wrecker, say you needed a turbo engine, and this one does not fit your car. Don't get into the NG900 swap details with them, it will only complicate things.
yeah, I'll try my best but I have no idea how I'm going to get dough back

Old 01-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #100
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
If they dont take it back and you have a 100 day warranty I would suggest putting it in and blowing it up
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in