2000 Saab 9-3 Viggen - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
TSLMember
 
Elyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 68
I am building a b234 block out side of the car on a motor stand to minimize downtime of the car during the motor pull.
90.5mm Wössner Pistons
147mm Verdi Rods
Race Bearings
9-5 b235 Timing Cover
9-5 b235 Oil Pan
Everything else... timing chain, balancing chain, guides... are going to be replaced with new... I may even do the balance chain delete.???
I am planning on having the pistons milled to utilize the b235 head gasket ...
for the time being this will be the install on the stock head until funds provide.:. Also a lot less room consuming pulling the head as I have a t5 Spg project going on in the garage.

My question is which turbo should I eventually go with?
The most practical seems to be the gt2876r? Stock Location, new oil and water lines with a new manifold (GS) There is also the EFR7064... with a twin it seems fancy. I don't know how that would work in the space in the front... any intel?

The powerband goal is a reliable 400. A fun in the mountains and track car...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0724_1493668269265.jpg (336.8 KB, 9 views)
Elyk is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 10,066
Send a message via AIM to Jameson
400 crank or 400whp? Pump gas 93, E85 or both?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jameson is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
TSLMember
 
Elyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
400 crank or 400whp? Pump gas 93, E85 or both?
400wheel, e85 or pump. I am currently running a 255lb Racetronix fuel pump and have access to e85 less than a mile away. I run a somewhat 70/30 mix. I've played around with a full tank of e85 but the purity levels seem inconsistent and altitude for me is a major factor.

I should also state the current engine mods:
B235 Engine
Maptun Stage 3 BioPower (e85) tune (91+)
630cc Siemens Injectors
255lb Racetronix Fuel Pump
PLX Gauge OBD2 Touch (AFR & EGT Sensor Modules On The Way For Remote Tuning)
VDO Voltage Gauge
VDO Vacuum Gauge
3" Maptun Downpipe & Flex Pipe
Remus/ Saab Resonator Tip
do88 Crossflow Front Mount Intercooler
do88 Aluminum Charge Pipe
do88 Intake Relocation
do88 Heater Core Hoses
ITG Open Air Filter
Forge Recirculating Diverter Valve
PCV 6
Stock td04hl-15t

Last edited by Elyk; 05-01-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Elyk is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 06:03 AM   #4
Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 10,066
Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyk View Post
400wheel, e85 or pump. I am currently running a 255lb Racetronix fuel pump and have access to e85 less than a mile away. I run a somewhat 70/30 mix. I've played around with a full tank of e85 but the purity levels seem inconsistent and altitude for me is a major factor.

I should also state the current engine mods:
B235 Engine
Maptun Stage 3 BioPower (e85) tune (91+)
630cc Siemens Injectors
255lb Racetronix Fuel Pump
PLX Gauge OBD2 Touch (AFR & EGT Sensor Modules On The Way For Remote Tuning)
VDO Voltage Gauge
VDO Vacuum Gauge
3" Maptun Downpipe & Flex Pipe
Remus/ Saab Resonator Tip
do88 Crossflow Front Mount Intercooler
do88 Aluminum Charge Pipe
do88 Intake Relocation
do88 Heater Core Hoses
ITG Open Air Filter
Forge Recirculating Diverter Valve
PCV 6
Stock td04hl-15t
I am currently running a well built B234/B235 setup but on stock pistons and a silly T25/28 Hybrid. It came with this turbo, otherwise I could make more power with a 19-20T. I plan on dyno'ing on E85 soon but I expect 380whp/430ftlbs to the wheels.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jameson is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
Elder
 
jssaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,919
Hi Jameson, was just thinking to text you.

Sorry to hear you are not liking the turbo...

ever get it on a dyno?
jssaab is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 10,066
Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Hi Jameson, was just thinking to text you.

Sorry to hear you are not liking the turbo...

ever get it on a dyno?
Not yet, not until I install the wideband. I've been putting time in the M, when that cools down I will devote the energy back in the Saab.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jameson is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #7
TSLMember
 
Elyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Hi Jameson, was just thinking to text you.

Sorry to hear you are not liking the turbo...

ever get it on a dyno?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Hi Jameson, was just thinking to text you.


Sorry to hear you are not liking the turbo...

ever get it on a dyno?
Not yet, not until I install the wideband. I've been putting time in the M, when that cools down I will devote the energy back in the Saab.
I have a question:

I am looking into the gt3076 as a good overall render of power. I am wondering if the stock location is a possibility with this turbo also what happens to the cobra pipe? Can it be used with a upgraded cobra or is a adapter needed? And if so what is needed to make it possible?
Elyk is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2017, 05:29 AM   #8
Drew In Houston
Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,864
The GT3076 is a good turbo, but beyond the air inlet piping, something else to consider is the steel oil and coolant lines vs flexible braided hoses.

I haven't found any flexible braided lines that don't wear out over time and use--that's a high heat area. You can insulate flex lines to extend their life, that slows things down, or swap them at some time interval before they fail, but left alone flexible tubing will get hard and crack eventually.

People run adapters with flexible lines all the time, they're not like instant death or anything, but compared to the factory steel lines that don't really wear out for the life of the car, you're adding unreliability and new higher wear/failure items if you go the flex line route.
__________________
Co-Founder:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First T7 19T turbo setup. First T7 Deka 80lb. injector setup.
Trionic3000 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #9
TSLMember
 
Elyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trionic3000 View Post
The GT3076 is a good turbo, but beyond the air inlet piping, something else to consider is the steel oil and coolant lines vs flexible braided hoses.

I haven't found any flexible braided lines that don't wear out over time and use--that's a high heat area. You can insulate flex lines to extend their life, that slows things down, or swap them at some time interval before they fail, but left alone flexible tubing will get hard and crack eventually.

People run adapters with flexible lines all the time, they're not like instant death or anything, but compared to the factory steel lines that don't really wear out for the life of the car, you're adding unreliability and new higher wear/failure items if you go the flex line route.
When I fully decide on the turbo. I will be ordering through Maptun who have a machine place they have their hard lines made by. I asked about that aswell.

The one and major thing I can't wrap my brain around is the cobra delete unless of course the updated cobra is adaptable... I assume to some extent all that is really needed is a stock location turbo and a coupler....?

Last edited by Elyk; 05-08-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Elyk is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All content is copyright © The Saab Link and it's original authors.


 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.