Anybody ever boost a 2.3 NG motor? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Anybody ever boost a 2.3 NG motor?

Has anybody heard or been involved with a Turbo charged 2.3 S motor? I am toying with the idea of boosting (low or factory spec) a high compression 2.3 S motor. I have all the parts, I just keep going back and fourth about doing that or a twin turbo rear wheel drive 900? Just toying with the ideas. Still in the planing stages. I just think burning rice with a wheels up launch would be a Kodak moment. Let me know what you guys think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2004, 06:22 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

lol, dude, the viggen has a 2.3 turbo... i hope you have money to spend, cause making a fwd non turbo saab into a rwd turbo saab, with enough power to run good and lift the wheels off the ground, that's gonna cost a bunch.

i know someone is sc a saab, not sure if it's a na or turbo, but they're putting a supercharger on it, haven't heard from them in a while, not sure of their progress though

your little signature says there are two types of saabs, what are they?

~justin

I –RIVE SWE–ISH
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-26-2004, 06:31 PM   #3
Elder

well if you want it to be turbo you need low compression - and a 2.3 n/a block has different pistons not tuned or built quite right for a turbo car. The likely hood of it even lasting long after one strong boost is very low..... It's best to just get a 2.3T motor and play around with that.
for your repair needs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 04-26-2004, 06:31 PM   #4
SAABeginner

No I don't have money to burn, but I work on Saabs all day in a private shop(not a dealer). And the 2.3S motor is 10.5 to 1 instead of 9.2 or 9.5 to 1 in a Viggen or SE. I have done the measurements and it will work converting it to a rear transaxle configuration. I just need a small fun little project . Just get some input on what you fine fellows would like to see.

As far as two kinds....the kind that needs a head gasket or one that WILL need one. You can use this for any one of the common items that will fail.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
SAABeginner

I know about the 2.3 and it will take a moderate boost level. They go pretty good with out the boost. The older 2.3 is different than NG blocks on the bell housing end ,I believe? And it also has the same ratio as a 2.0 block.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:00 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

well, i say go for it, you've got my go ahead for it, make us na owners proud, lol

~justin

I –RIVE SWE–ISH
Old 04-27-2004, 06:26 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I'd say go for the turbo conversion project. I've boosted N/A VW motors that are around 10:1 and it's a lot of fun - 6 or 7 lbs of boost from a small, quick spooling turbo and bam! Instant power all over the rev band.

What would you do for engine management though?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
SAABeginner

I would use the factory Trionic system a T-5 . And your result is kind of what I'm looking for.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:49 AM   #9

How flexible is T5? If you slap it on an engine with different displacement, boost, compression, injector size, fuel pressure, etc than a "stock" T5 engine, what will it do? Does anyone know? Seems like aftermarket chips for T5 cars are pretty specific to the individual application (i.e. use this chip with mods X,Y,Z) which would lead me to think that it's not a very flexible system.

This might be a dumb question, but what management did the N/A 2.3 use anyways? If T5, is it the same T5 as on the boosted engines?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:00 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I dont know, but would the crank from the 2.3 engines work in my car? Would I need a diff crank sensor?

Thinking of stroking it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 04-27-2004, 12:28 PM   #11

Why not just go LPT style?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:49 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
2.3 NA's used a bosch ECU, so i dont know how the T5 would get along with the sensors, the stroke and such

Brian
Old 04-27-2004, 04:49 PM   #13
SAABeginner

Tweek I know it will fit and I believe the crank sensor is the same, I know the stroke is different so is bore. The 2.3 uses motronic and yes the computer has the ability to accept the changes (it is very smart you know,smarter system than anything else on the road) the only thing I mat have to play with are injector flow rates. As far as running LPT that is easy once it is installed ,just unplug the BPC unit. I just have to do it and find out I guess.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:08 AM   #14
TSLMember

Watch the pistons on the B235R and B235E. Ask me how I know.

\'04 GTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in