Custom Intercooler - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 02:00 PM   #1
Elder

Custom Intercooler

When i'm going to upgrade the my IC, i was thiking about going with Maptun. But then talked to Blaque_Out and he said custon with Spearco. Well i was looking at garaget.org and some awesome saabs there. I noticed some nice intercoolers. I'm looking for some like this, i want a nice tall one that will sit low also so it will look good when the new bodykits come in. Anybody boby have any input>?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
And just think, I started the whole no front bumper fad years ago. :P

Seriosly, I am thinking of having a custom spearco done up. Not for a while though. I wanna see if i can blow up my Viggen intercooler first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-26-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Hey Tweek ever think about a 9000 intercooler?

Old 04-26-2004, 02:30 PM   #4
Elder

Don't know a whole lot about them.
Quote:
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 04-26-2004, 02:31 PM   #5
Elder

You know any intercooler that will be as big as thoes> Looking for a nice tall one.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:39 PM   #6
Elder

I found this one, but It looks like it has plastic end tanks. 95 Aero. In the performance section on EEuroparts.com Cheap too. $119
Quote:
Old 04-26-2004, 02:39 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

9k incercoolers are HUUUUUUGE - they're not incredibly thick, but I they're probably bigger than the radiator on a NG900/GM9-3.

Honestly, the Viggen piece is the best deal for your money IMHO. It's fairly big, but not huge enough to be a pain to fit. Anything much bigger will probably require sxome custom fitting, removing the A/C, etc. Plus, you can convert your stock counterflow 9-3 intercooler to a Viggen setup for less than the core would cost ro do a custom spearco setup. And then you'd still have to pay someone to fab the end tanks and tubing. All for something that might be an inch or two bigger than the Viggen piece.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:41 PM   #8
Elder

Problem is, soon I will be seeing boost levels that would require an all metal unit. I will try with the plastic on the VIC, but worry a bit.
Quote:
Old 04-26-2004, 03:38 PM   #9
Elder

I think you might be going a little overboard with the difficulties on installing a custom IC. I don't think it’s that hard, and the company that you buy it from supplies hoses for you so problem solved.

The Viggen IC is too small, when shown on a car with a Viggen bumper, it looks like shit, and it does not even fill in the whole hole. Just imagine how ugly it will look with the new body kits coming out. I want that space to be filled. For custom IC it’s about the same price to, so for a little extra time for fitting, and for a bigger IC (which I’m sure will fit without removing anything) is well worth it.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:45 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Tweek how much boost are you looking to make?
Old 04-26-2004, 03:48 PM   #11
Elder

I assume the Maptun Stage 4 puts out around 23ish?

Soon after, I do plan on upping to the Stage 5.
Quote:
Old 04-26-2004, 03:49 PM   #12
SAABeginner

Hey Tweek , I just remembered a stock Volvo intercooler is similar to a 9000 unit but has inlet and outlet like a ng900 unit . And there cheap too.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:50 PM   #13
SAABeginner

23psi that should go pretty good. Have you ported the head yet?
Old 04-26-2004, 03:52 PM   #14

Oi.....the intercooler dilemma...This is what has been keeping me up at night. I'm trying to decide what's best to put on the car to eventually handle 300 bhp.

Tweek, Snow, you'll definitely want to stay away from a 9000 IC unless you don't have air conditioning or live in Alaska and don't need it! You'd need to remove the AC to fit anything bigger than 9 inches, and even that's a tight fit that would probably require re-routing one of the oil-cooler tubes. The stock 900NG IC sits right on top of one of those tubes. It's about 7.75 inches from the top of the oil-cooler tube to the bottom of the AC component. This is a very important measurement, as this will dictate the IC depth if the oil cooler tubes aren't re-routed, and not the eventual location of a body kit.

Snow, that's actually a Spearco on that Viggen, not the Viggen IC. I hear ya, tho: It looks kind of funny from that angle, but there's really not much that can be done. A tall narrow IC might just work, especially if you put the collection tanks at the top and bottom. Shorter tubes mean less pressure loss...but most of the IC will be hidden behind the mass of the bumper. There's a guy from Finland or Sweden on SaabCentral who did just that.

It doesn't help that the 9000 IC is also pretty restrictive and not very efficient, with lots of pressure loss due to the number, length and arrangement of tubes. The main plus: it's incredibly cheap!

Good solution: A Spearco or similar IC with a bar-and-plate core will provide a significant cooling of the charge air in the allotted space (about 31 inches from center of outlet to center of outlet; 33 inches from mounting tab to mounting tab). A unit to fit that space (about 28 inches long to account for the 90 bends needed to route the air) costs about $300-350. Drawback: Expensive...and long tubes mean more pressure loss (although not as much as a stock unit). This would require the fewest tubing fabs and would ensure an all-metal IC body, as opposed to the plastic tanked stock or Viggen unit .
Old 04-26-2004, 03:55 PM   #15
SAABeginner

I have the viggen ic running on some of my cars and it is VERY easy to put in but not that much gain. Remember cooler (bigger) is better!
Old 04-26-2004, 03:58 PM   #16
Elder

I have a Viggen unit already.

That pic from speedparts if for the 9-3SS

I actually haven't payed off my head yet. I still owe $288 on it.
Quote:
Old 04-26-2004, 04:29 PM   #17
Elder

Thanks Mike, you know your stuff. I pulled that pic from Saab Central. Going back and checking it out, good correction your right it’s Spearco. He even posted a site were he has his install. (http://www.vlphotos.com/saabvigic.html) While looking at the bar I see on the bottom, you think that bar can just be bent downwards?? If you bend it down just to move it out of the way. I don't know how hard that would be, because I’m not about to sacrifice my A/C. If that is possible to do, could you get an IC that would able be more then 6" in height? Let me know what you think.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:30 PM   #18
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Okay I tracked down the thread I saw the custom FMIC on. Here is the link (its on Saab Central btw)

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/vi...om+intercooler

If anyone PMs the guy who bought the intercooler about the company he bought it from...please post your findings here.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:50 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:

You have been banned from this forum.
Please contact the webmaster or board administrator for more information.
like contacting them ever does any good
for your repair needs
Old 04-26-2004, 06:50 PM   #20

Snow, you could probably fit one that was 8'' if you bent the oil-cooler tube verrrrry slightly. Problem at that point is that the oil cooler tube will be below the bottom radiator mounting cross piece and you'll have fitment problems with the plastic air dams...but nothing that a dremel tool, or extra washers won't fix!

I'm thinking that the best dimensions might be 28'' long by 8 inches high. That would be just long enough to route rubber or silicone elbows around the radiator, without being tall enough to screw up the AC or the oil tubing......

The tube-and-fin IC in that link would probably work OK, but look for bar and plate if you can. There's a definite weight difference, as tube and fin is much lighter, but the mass of the bar-and-plate IC helps it act like a heat sink. I was looking to have one custom made by Bell Intercoolers, with the collection tanks on the top and bottom and the core arranged vertically (like a Procharger) but the minimum height was around 10 inches....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in