Upgraded Turbo - T25\T28 or T28 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2004, 09:05 AM   #1
Elder

Upgraded Turbo - T25\T28 or T28

I was looking at prices to upgrade my turbo, and getting it rebuild seams to be much cheaper. I just got off the phone with Forced Performance, and wanted to get some prices about rebuilding my turbo. They said it would be around 450 to rebuild it to T25\T28 and not much more to a full T28. He said that I should just go with a T28 because I won’t notice turbo lag and it would give a better pull.

I was thinking about just upgrading it to a full T28 but I don't know how MapTune's ECU would take the change? Would I have to go with SQR, but they don't use the same turbo upgrade. So I’m kind stuck in the middle, if I do upgrade to a T28, will I not see the full power from it because of the ECU upgrade?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2004, 09:26 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I'm running a T-28, I have been refering to it lately as a hybrid being that the housing is a T-25 and the wheels are 28s. I am still using it with the stock ECU so I dont think that would be any worry.

I paid about the same from LimitEngineering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-22-2004, 09:46 AM   #3
Elder

What are the differences that you notice? I was still worried about lag or spool up time. Does it pull much harder than your T25 did? Do you need to do anything special to have it run to your specs? I want the turbo to pull all the way to the redline without giving up or little effort.

I’m thinking about what you did for my car. Upgrade the turbo and just run it with the stock ECU until I have the other parts to upgrade to a stage 4. I’m waiting to buy the new Exhaust from MapTun.

I was talking to him the other day and he said that it’s going to be much better then the JT 3 system. He was really putting it down in fact. It’s going to be 3 to 4 inches, all stainless steal, and better flow then JT 3. The only down side is that it cost 1100. But I figure I live in NH and its always snowing and salt so it will last me the life of the car

Old 04-25-2004, 09:19 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I cant exactly say what it did. I upgraded the turbo, had my transition castings extrude honed, did the intercooler and added a mbc all at the same time.

It does pull really well all thru the RPM range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 04-25-2004, 09:52 AM   #5
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
With a larger turbo, you can really only tell a difference once your ECU has been upgrade to pull out the maximum amount of power from the turbo. Otherwise regardless of what turbo you have, on the stock ECU you're going to be limited to 15 psi before hitting cut-off.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:57 PM   #6
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via ICQ to bollman Send a message via AIM to bollman
And, with no upgrades to the fuel system, you won´t see much difference from an upgraded ECU either. The T25s may not be Gods gift to cars, but it can handle 1.5bar all the way up to 6000rpm. Going beyond that, there isn´t enough fuel to support that amount of air.

My plan is to wait until the T25 gives up, then go stage 5. Use the money on a ECU for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in