Automatic transmission performance talk/discussion - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
TSLMember

Automatic transmission performance talk/discussion

Hello everyone ive been a fan of messing with and breaking automatic transmission on my 1999 93 stage 5 e85 for a while now. It will soon have a built b234 engine in it. I have broken 2 boxes so far and am on my 3rd (supposed 55000 miles on it) which was running good till I cracked a valve which lead to this full on rebuild. Once I get this engine broken in and running well, I want to experiment with different options for gear boxes and whatever else I can do.

I already run a external cooler that is also goes through the radiator first(to get up to operating temp). Keeps temps right around 175 usually. Also have a temp gauge on it and has a external filter taped into on of the trans lines. When I changed this last transmission I also opened it and changed the internal filter. On top of all that I do frequent fluid cycles.

There are a few different things ive been thinking about.

1.what is the difference between the autos in the 2000-2002 93s vs the 99? I know the 1999 is an aisin warner 50 40le but that uses dex3. The 00-02 is uses moible 3309 atf which I believe is a synthetic. Cant seem to find a different aisin warner part number for those. So something obviously has to be different between the 2 but theres not much info that I could find other than they use different fluid.

Now would one of these trans from a 00-02 93 be better for performance since it use a synthetic fluid which would deal with the heat better? Also I would think it would already be in better shape than a trans that uses dex3 because that has had better fluid all its life?

One last thing on this one, would it be fine with t5? Would I just need the tcm for the t7 car it came out of?

2. I also thought about getting a trans from a 2.3l na 900 auto. I believe it would have a better gear ratio for acceleration since the gearing is shorter (I believe). Now I would think it would have the same tq rating as the turbo auto box? Again just think id need the tcm from that car.

3. Thought about getting a custom torque converter made with a higher stall speed. Dont know to much on this as im still learning about it. Was just wondering if that would mess anything up with tcm and cause issues.

4. Full on built trans but no ones interested in that, have tried contacting a handful of custom trans shop including level 10 with no intrest from any of them.

Is there anything that could be upgraded in valve bodies or anything? Im still learning about what is done to automatic transmission to make them take more tq. But have found NO info on anything for these transmissions. Only other aisin warner transmissions that are different and arent compatible with the 50 40le.

5. Anything you or anybody else has thought of that I didnt mention?

O yea and for anyone who says swap to manual or just get a manual car.. no.. thats not what im going to do or want to do. I want to stick with the auto take it places no one has gone before with these cars.

Feel free to share any ideas you have, I hope this thread can be filled with good info useful to anyone with a auto. Hope to be able to post a impressive drag time with the auto or a 60-100mph ect (current 60-100 with last setup was roughly 5.5 secs, no drag time with the 19t yet unfortunately).

Thank you Connor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016, 03:49 AM   #2
TSLMember

The automatic from the 99 93 is a fa44907 and that is an aisin warner 50 40le. The 00 to 02 is a fa44801 but can not figure out what the aisin warner box is (ie 50 40le). Does anyone know what it is? I would like to know so I can do more specific research on it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Let me take a stab at these!

1: From what I understand, the internals are completely revised for the later auto-boxes, hence the new ATF requirement. They're also much more durable from what I've seen (and from personal experience with a stage 2 9-3 @175k). It looks as if it would be better, but I don't believe you can swap the two over. Or not at least with a fair amount of work, but don't quote me on that.

2: The N/A trans may not be as strong as the ones built for the turbo, so there is a risk with that.

3: That idea has been thrown around before, with no one willing to make a custom torque converter for a Saab as the amount of time & money it takes to produce one isn't worth the small market that would be interested (less than a dozen I bet).

4: Same problem as above and that you mentioned, time & money is the issue.

If it's performance you're after, swapping to a manual would honestly be your best option. The later autoboxes aren't bad, but not a performance transmission. At least the manual can have a LSD installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in