99 9-3s fmic - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Smile 99 9-3s fmic

First on my list (After I tackled all or most of the common faults on my 1999 9-3 s) was a fmic, with that in mind I set about the net and found measurements for the right size intercooler, then discarded all of them measurements because I found a shiny one and orderd it,
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
when it came I was surprised at the size/thickness of it, it has a 3" inlet/outlet and came with pipes/silicone hoses and stainless clamps.

so I pulled the car apart and threw the shiny thing at the dirty thing.
No joy, she's just to beg captn a can ne do it.
So I lost the air con radiator and the condenser had to relocate the horn and oil cooler
Cut of the tow hitch and "modify" the headlight locator holder thing then it sat just right. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Next the pipework, nothing major there just remember to plot out the shortest possible route and avoid sharp bends in the pipes.

Cross section and bumper go back on without to much hassle (look for the boot marks on the bumper) and with a few bits of pipe I had left over I made a nice 3" chrome pipe from the turbo to a cone filter and a cold feed.

And yes I'm aware my garage is as old school as the motor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2016, 02:54 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
nice effort, but where you aware they make drop in, plug and play, big a$$ intercoolers for the 9-3. A lot less work/hassle to make fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #3
SAABeginner

no I did not no this lol but I'm not one to shy away from hard work and really enjoyed doing the intercooler, I forgot to add I removed the head light washers and used the jets for a fmic water sprayer, my next thread will be on suspension, from top mount to wheel bearing and everything in between inc shot blast and painting

Old 03-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
I can't see your pictures, but I've been able to make big ol' FMICs fit on 900/9-3s.
Some may be behind the bumper, but I think the 27" tall IC we used fit just fine.
Although, they were 2.5" thick, I think.
Still- notching the back-side of the bumper should be easy-enough if you're trying to make it fit.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Old 03-02-2016, 11:33 PM   #6
SAABeginner

That's sweet, I like what you have done with the front bumper, I'm going for sleeper status myself so everything is nicely hidden
Old 03-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
SAABeginner

Darkhorse, did You maybe verify by how much the intake air temperature has been lowered? I have an IC from Aero, and I get around 65-67`C on hot days.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:41 AM   #8
SAABeginner

Iv never monitored the intake temp but I am taking precautions to lower/disperse as much heat as possible both under the bonnet and in the intake pipes, iv got heat rap tape for the manifold/inlet pipe and have cold feeds to help with air flow under the hood, my ic is also fitted with water sprayers to help lower air temp inside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in