Question about modding my 97 900 se - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2004, 12:01 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to Clayton
Question about modding my 97 900 se

Ok I have a 97 900 se turbo and I have been looking at the Maptun website, the abbott racing website and talking to the guys at group9preformance. I think that what I want to do is first take care of suspenion and get springs, struts, the whole deal. Then I was going to get the Maptun stage 3 package (intake, ecu, and exhaust) or the genuinesaab stage 3 kit. then get the either get the T25/28 turbo from Maptun, get the TD04 kit from abbot racing, or the tE05 turbo from group9performance. Which would yall reccomend? Does this seem like a good plan. I am trying to break into the 13's with quarter mile times but still be able to run auto-x. Any input would be great thanx.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2004, 08:02 AM   #2

Daay-yam! That's going to be a baaad machine when you're done. Only thing I would consider is upgrading the turbo first, then getting the ECU mod. Among other things, the tweaks to the ECU take into account the expected A/F ratio and amount of boost produced by the specific turbo mated to the car, so if you change that component you throw off the calculations.

So...if you change the ECU, then change the turbo, you're almost certain to need another ECU upgrade. Luckily, most ECU tuners will allow you to upgrade for a small fee....

(A tip: you can get a TD04 HL 15T from a wrecked 00-02 900 SE. It's the same turbo as the Viggen at a fraction of the ridiculous Abbott price. And you might also want to consider SQR for ECU mods....)

Good luck!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-16-2004, 08:37 AM   #3
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
It seems like a pretty good plan.

Actually if you get the T25/28 you'd be better off than trying to add a TD04. Of course if you want ALOT of power..you may consider investing in a GTBB turbo. Of course there will be some good modifying needed, but it along with an ECU and intercooler will pull you well into the13s.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:26 PM   #4

This will be an interesting project to watch evolve....

The bigger turbos will definitely give you more oooomph, but the smaller ones will deliver it quicker. Big turbos will definitely help most in the 1/4 mile, cause they'll kick in heaviest sometime in third...Smaller turbos might help most on auto-x. where you rarely get out of 2nd for long...

Seems like a classic dilemma...Unless the T25/28 is a hybrid with a faster spool up. They you'd get the best of both worlds.

Clayton, keep us posted on the progress!
Old 04-16-2004, 10:51 PM   #5
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to Clayton
Thanx yall for the advice. I still don't know if I should go with the genuinesaab package or the Maptun one. They seem to be pretty close as far as performance and parts go but the Maptun is a bit more expensive. I should hopefully start the suspension modds in the next month or so and i will definitely keep yall posted. O ya two more things, would it make much sense to invest in a LSD, and this may sound crazy but i don't know, right now i was a auto but i was thinkin about maybe switch to a manual. Has anyone ever tried this with a ng900? If so is it pretty involved or is it relatively simple like a honda tranny switch. thanx yall again.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:41 PM   #6

ahhh....the auto to manual conversion has been done successfully on the C900s, and I think there were a couple of people on the Saabcentral board who were considering but....That's a LOT of work...
Old 04-17-2004, 04:45 PM   #7
Elder

What would you need to make the switch from auto to manual?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-18-2004, 06:39 AM   #8

Hi Rob,

There's a Saabnet link that details the C900 conversion, but I haven't found anything as detailed for the NG. When I was looking for a 97 900, I considered a couple of cars with bad trannys. I was in that phase, "Well, since I'm taking out the engine, maybe I'll just take out the tranny too!" Now that I'm halfway through the removal process, I realize how insane I was..

http://www.saabnet.com/sites/900conv...900convert.pdf

A couple of guys on the SaabCentral boards have discussed it in the past, but the consensus seems to be: buy a manual....

My wife's 97 SE is an auto and in sport mode, it can move.....
Old 04-18-2004, 07:51 AM   #9
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Personally, after reviewing the EPC....I don't think it would be that difficult to achieve. Of course you'd have a few things to buy:

Hydraulic Clutch System- $350
Manual Tranny - used $700
Clutch w/ Pressure plate - $350
manual shift assembly w/ linkage - Unknown

So im sure it could be done, plus by buying used parts it would probably pull the price down some. Also when you sell your old parts.

Of course I'm unsure if any different internals or electroncis are used which have changed the timing

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in