Turbo lag - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Turbo lag

Been researching ways around turbo lag. One guy said this "One solution would be with a small charge nitorous kit, armed by a vacuum switch, and operated by a throttle what microswitch. Whe the turbo spools, you lose vacuum and get boost, the nitrous would switch off automatically. a small bottle could potentially last a long time."

Any comments on what this guy said would that actually be practical to set up and has anyone here ran nitrous in there ng900? Can the motor even handle the higher temperatures? Stock cooling would need upgrading id assume. New to car building and any knowledge is appreciated!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 04:27 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

You cant run Nitrous...the gearbox cant take it...

I run a Garrett 2860 it spools real quick...so does the TD04
Old 08-18-2015, 05:39 AM   #3
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

You could run nitrous, but that isn't really solving the problem and is unnecessary. I don't know about your car, but if you haven't done a 3" downpipe and a free flow exhaust, then you're not experiencing the fast spool up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 08-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
Elder

I say try it and make thread on here as you step through it. It's true there's no replacement for displacement, but faster spool is never a bad thing. Even if it's fast already.

Since it's a ng900 I don't think you'll see additional transmission problems over what you'd expect running a stock frame turbo with the waste gate screwed down hard w/helper spring, maybe Bogan's thinking og900?

What turbo are you thinking?

My gut feeling is that there's no huge need until you get to something bigger than gtx3071 because they'll spool quickly enough to keep you right on the edge of traction anyway, and in fact have to be held back. We haven't measured it, but my brother's GTX setup (modified from yllwjet thread fame) makes more power everywhere than a stock viggen setup, including at tip-in and while spooling. I say that not only because of how it feels but also because at anything other than light low load cruising it needs considerably more fuel everywhere.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

ive been planning on a hx-35 build just because my friend has a turbo coming off his dodge in a month or so. i am open to other turbo options just not trying to kill the bank on a turbo with so many other parts to buy! preferably id like a turbo that can provide me with 400whp or more. although i was browsing the forum and jzw did a ng900 holset build with methanol injection and he did say hed add a pip of nitrous to the tank for a little extra power on race days lol.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

the garrett 2860 looks comparable to the power that the stock aero turbos can make. my buddy has a used one off a 2002 9-5 aero im going to pick up for cheap and after reading that another member boosted his stock aero to i think just under 17psi and a little over 300whp. thats my goal for now until i buy either my friends holset or if you guys can find me a turbo id like more!
Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

the gtx3071 looks like an upgrade to the holset. what hp can i make out of that turbo and what style flange would i need to have made on my manifold ?
Old 08-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #8
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

HX35's are not too popular anymore because the HE351C performs better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

yea i think im going to use a HE351cw for my build like you just said it performs better is that a t3 flange aswell?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:10 AM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

There was a guy on here a while back...cant remember his name... he hooked up a nitrous set up.....blew his box into 28 pieces .....

Maybe he was giving it big squirts ..lol

stage 5 and 6 are just wheelspin machines even with an LSD
Old 08-19-2015, 04:28 AM   #11
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
on these big HP builds you want some lag.... if power comes on too soon you start breaking stuff
ask me how I know

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 08-19-2015, 05:08 AM   #12
Elder

Ha I guess I was assuming street tires...and viggen axles.

For how hard the little over driven turbo setups come on (and assuming street tires and regular street launches) you think a large frame turbo with a little dry shot up front would spike torque more? I wasn't thinking it could but who knows?

The way i was thinking was that most cases the tires just let loose in cloud of smoke and at that point you're transmitting very low torque, no matter if there's 300 ft-lb potential there or 600

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 08-19-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:11 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

Hmmm so is it possible to upgrade the gearbox to not only make it more durable but to max out the top speed of the car? Seems like it ld be a lot more work than its worth. But also grk89 you said your tdo4 setup is for sale? Want to pm me with details and price/pics? Thanks

Jeff
Old 08-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #14
Avid TSL User

Can you shot peen and cryo treat the gearbox for durability?
Old 08-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #15
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffcentola View Post
Hmmm so is it possible to upgrade the gearbox to not only make it more durable but to max out the top speed of the car? Seems like it ld be a lot more work than its worth. But also grk89 you said your tdo4 setup is for sale? Want to pm me with details and price/pics? Thanks

Jeff
I do have a td04 sitting in my tool box
just the turbo with the intake pipe

I will have my top mount setup for sale really soon too (manifold, up-pipe, support bracket, wastegate, and 9cm housing for an hx35) [pictures to come]

Quote:
Old 08-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

Id very much like to buy the tdo4 and downpipe how much would you want and how much use has the turbo seen? And i have seen your top mount build its pretty awesome but i am going for a bottom mount manifold otherwise id give you an offer.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

Any reason why youre selling your top mount build?
Old 08-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #18
Avid TSL User

Pm me with photos if youd like or here
Old 08-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #19
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Quote:
Id very much like to buy the tdo4 and downpipe how much would you want and how much use has the turbo seen? And i have seen your top mount build its pretty awesome but i am going for a bottom mount manifold otherwise id give you an offer.
only have the td04 now
has less than 65k miles

Quote:
Any reason why youre selling your top mount build?
building a new twin scroll manifold

Quote:
Pm me with photos if youd like or here
this is pic of when it was being tacked up.
I'll have pictures of it out of the car this weekend

Quote:
Old 08-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
Avid TSL User

You going to upgrade to the he351 cw holset? And how much for the turbo ive found rebuilt ones on ebay/amazon for 350$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in