Clutch options - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2015, 05:49 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Clutch options

I'd prefer to stay away from SPEC. I've use them, and the stage 2+ I had barely held 250lb/ft on 16s.

The clutch in the wagon-on the other hand, holds better than 300torks, and does it in a 2-ton whale with 18s

The question is: Is there a better OE clutch? is 9-5 aero better than Viggen, or the opposite? I'm sure I'll end up aftermarket, but which is stronger? is there a clear winner?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Viggen clutch is the way to go with 9-3s. The 2002+ 9-5 Aero clutch is bigger than the Viggen one, but cannot be used in a 9-3 apparently. Considering you have a hydro clutch in that 9-3, slap a Vig clutch kit in and call it a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
That was my thought. I haven't decided what I want to do for turbo yet, but I doubt I'll be over 400hp and equal torques.

In a google search, it came up that there's a Sachs Racing clutch that abbott used to sell, which was ~400gbp, which would be pretty affordable with the dollar doing well.
do we know much about this thing?

Old 07-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

People have "stage 4" Viggens with stock healthy clutches. Most of the 9-3 aftermarket clutches are stock Viggen pressure plates with a more aggressive clutch disc material.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:34 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Ive had my Spec stage 3+ for over two years holding stage 5 powa

No problems
Old 07-28-2015, 03:18 AM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I'm running a viggen clutch and PP with a big T28, w/m, and a very aggressive tune. Still holds fine and has been doing so for 20k.
-Cm
Old 07-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Elder

Viggen clutch it is!!!
Are the slave cylinders that come with the sachs/valero kits any good?
Old 09-24-2015, 06:28 AM   #8
Elder

So, I've been looking into this, as the work's going to start soon.
Sachs seems to be the only company that lists a different kit for the 3 power levels of the 9-3.

Is LUK selling everyone viggen pressure plates, or is everyone getting base model clutches?

The Sachs is only $450 for the kit, which is pretty dang reasonable, but if I could save a few bucks on this, I'd love to.
Anyone know?

Is there a place to buy the sachs racing pressure plate? It's only $400 from sachs, which means it's probably $300-ish retail.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to chevyman
ClutchNet has a full line of clutches on their website now. Might be something to look into.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
I'm planning on sending my viggen pp to clutchnet to have it overhauled with new updated better clamping springs and levers

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 12-31-2015, 10:31 AM   #11
Elder

So, my plans have changed. considerably. I've now got a wossner'd b234R with hx35 to shoehorn into the 9-3. This means I'm going to need a stronger clutch than the Viggen.

I don't know what happened to clutch prices, but the last ACT 2600 I bought for my DSM 5 years ago was only $360. what happened that these things are $800 now!?

Do we have any options for lower pricing? I'm looking for a clutch that will hold 500 ft/lb incase I decide to go wild with this thing, and a grand for a clutch seems steep.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to chevyman
Saab clutches have always been expensive. That price may include a slace cylinder if it is from spec.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:03 PM   #13
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
So, my plans have changed. considerably. I've now got a wossner'd b234R with hx35 to shoehorn into the 9-3. This means I'm going to need a stronger clutch than the Viggen.

I don't know what happened to clutch prices, but the last ACT 2600 I bought for my DSM 5 years ago was only $360. what happened that these things are $800 now!?

Do we have any options for lower pricing? I'm looking for a clutch that will hold 500 ft/lb incase I decide to go wild with this thing, and a grand for a clutch seems steep.
Find a local clutch shop and have them make what you need. The basic pieces are straight off the GM style parts shelf for them and they should be able to easily build to suit your need.

Increase the clamping force of the pressure plate and get a dual friction disk built. You can get the ease of a street clutch on engagement, but the lockup of a race clutch. Possibly not a "perfect" solution, but makes for a drivable/streetable solution for high torque needs.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #14
Elder

So, I pulled the trigger. Spec stage 3+.
Spec says 650 lb/ft capacity which is certainly overkill, but I've been told it's also the most streetable.
I tried ordering through a Saab vendor, but ebay was about $100 cheaper.
Should be here shortly.

new question; lightening the stock flywheel. I haven't held one in 5 years or so, but I seem to remember them being 20lb or so. Aside from the $600 option from spec, are there others? are there instructions online to hand to a machine shop to have the stocker lightened? These cars have high-ish idles, so I can't imagine that they really NEED the heavy flywheel.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:13 AM   #15

The flywheel I would get is from Abbott motor sport in the UK...Its the best..
Or a cheaper option is to get a machine shop to lighten you stock flywheel...There is lots of metal on the back that can be cut away....I done this ..

You will love the Spec Stage 3+
Old 01-30-2016, 04:27 AM   #16
Elder

That forged Abbott unit looks nice, single piece, probably safer at high RPM... but I went the other way and have been running the aluminum flywheel that Nick sells for years now, looks like he's asking $400 for it these days (I think it's the same SPEC that you mentioned?). It's listed as 7.5 lbs compared to the forged Abbott at 9lbs and stock at 15.4lbs.

Mainly I like that the friction surface is replaceable for not a lot of money and no machining--the no machining part is nice if you're working on a weekend and want to get it back together.

It did need to be balanced brand new out of the box which was a little disappointing. I'd buy it again from a technical standpoint. If you go with SPEC and have a problem don't expect any help from them, after I had one of their clutch disks fail in less than 10k miles, the engineering support guy I spoke with was a total flaming asshole--it was really outrageous how much of a jerk the guy was with no provocation, it's been years now but I've been boycotting SPEC ever since lol.

Aluminum Flywheel For NG900/9-3, GenuineSaab.com

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 01-30-2016 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:31 AM   #17
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Local machine shop in NH has been resurfacing and lightening all of Mike D and I'd flywheels over the years.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2016, 06:03 AM   #18
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I've got the aluminum spec one as well. I love the fast reviving.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #19
Elder

I may have made a mistake. I ordered a spec stage 2 clutch kit. supposedly good for 468 ft./lbs.
I've never had a problem with a viggen clutch kit, but I've never tuned up a b234r in an ng900 before. Hopefully the Spec clutch kit holds up for me. If not, it will be a waste of the $450 it cost.

for some reason there is a spec line of clutches for the ng900, and also the og9-3. stage 2 for each car is good to 468 ft./lbs. but the og9-3 clutches are quite a bit more money.

I guess we'll see what happens. I'll just try to be nice to it.

Last edited by turbojohnny; 05-16-2016 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
I may have made a mistake. I ordered a spec stage 2 clutch kit. supposedly good for 468 ft./lbs.
I've never had a problem with a viggen clutch kit, but I've never tuned up a b234r in an g900 before. Hopefully the Spec clutch kit holds up for me. If not, it will be a waste of the $450 it cost.

for some reason there is a spec line of clutches for the ng900, and also the og9-3. stage 2 for each car is good to 468 ft./lbs. but the og9-3 clutches are quite a bit more money.

I guess we'll see what happens. I'll just try to be nice to it.
Ohh noooo....

Good luck mate...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in