Water Methanol Injection thread - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
TSLMember

Water Methanol Injection thread

So, after spending tons of time researching for any T7 saabs running WMI I decided "hey, why not". I've been running a Snow Performance boost based kit on my Viggen for about a month now. I run -20F Blue washer fluid which is about 28-30% meth, the rest is water and a few drops of blue dye.

I used the stock tank, tapped it for the WMI pump and ran a single 2.7GPH (175ml/min) nozzle into the charge pipe. Because of the strange location for the IAT sensor, and my desire for the WMI to be prior to the sensor to allow the ECU to read the temperature change, I placed the nozzle at the start of the charge pipe, right before the BPV.

Current mods are: GS Intake, GS DP, 3" exhaust, ETS IC, 3.5FPR, BCB Stage3 tune and the WMI. I have a wideband and a boost gauge so I can keep an eye on things.

It seems as though T7 will correct the AFR over time, I didn't see the normal 1pt richening that is expected when adding methanol without a tune. I still see low to mid 12's for WOT AFR. The WMI turns on at 10psi and the car runs great. You can watch the IAT plummet in openSID as soon as you hit 10psi which is quite the opposite of the normal WOT pull.

I will update this thread as I go, hoping to get some dyno comparisons and work on dialing in the tune even more. But I can say that with this concentration of meth, T7 is just fine.

Had some fun in mexico over the weekend, 2nd - 4th gear I pull about half a car on a stage 5 18t 2.0T (JZW tune on 93).

Pictures to follow. Anyone else with WMI experience feel free to chime in, sorry for the novel.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
TSLMember

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150413_132744-01_resized.jpg (414.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 11008643_10153810518712977_427800534335498693_n.jpg (213.3 KB, 50 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

Could you explain exactly what the WMI is? Just a system to lower temps? What goes in to an install? Sounds great!

Old 05-05-2015, 06:45 AM   #4
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl0089 View Post
Could you explain exactly what the WMI is? Just a system to lower temps? What goes in to an install? Sounds great!
It lowers boosted air temps, absorbs heat, and increases the effective octane of the fuel reducing/eliminating detonation. The nozzle sprays into the charge pipe after the intercooler (not an external IC sprayer, which doesn't do much really)

In more extreme cases the methanol is used as auxiliary fuel on high HP boosted cars. But that requires a fail safe mechanism, etc...

Installation isn't bad, took about 4-6 hours start to finish, including taking things apart and re-installing them. You need to mount the pump, either mount a tank or tap the existing washer tank, run all the wiring for the pump, mount a boost switch and tap into the BPV line, and finally mount a nozzle into the charge pipe.

Last edited by tyhackman15; 05-05-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:42 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Run 100% meth. way betterer IMHO.
-Cm
Old 05-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm452 View Post
Run 100% meth. way betterer IMHO.
-Cm
I'd rather not spray 100% meth onto my windshield, or spend $50 to fill the tank lol. I'd run 100% meth if I were trying to make tons of power and use it as aux fuel, which I'm not.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:11 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

True do'
Old 05-11-2015, 05:32 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Pretty neat!

I wonder what the long term affects are of the water heading back through the BPV and turbo are. Probably a non issue since it is all so hot and just a small percentage gets back there. Still it would be cool to have the spray after the BPV. I wonder with an aluminum intake pipe (like found on T-7 1999 9-5's) you could move all that around (IAT and water spray). It would be easy to drill and tap that.

Where did you put the boost sensor (to trigger the spray)?
Old 05-11-2015, 05:53 AM   #9
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
Pretty neat!

I wonder what the long term affects are of the water heading back through the BPV and turbo are. Probably a non issue since it is all so hot and just a small percentage gets back there. Still it would be cool to have the spray after the BPV. I wonder with an aluminum intake pipe (like found on T-7 1999 9-5's) you could move all that around (IAT and water spray). It would be easy to drill and tap that.

Where did you put the boost sensor (to trigger the spray)?
Yeah in a perfect world I'd have used a metal charge pipe to relocate the IAT, but looking at the recirc tube for the BPV there is minimal fluid making it's way through there, I think the heat from the exhaust keeps that tube rather warm and most of it evaporates by the time it gets to the turbo inlet pipe.

The boost sensor is tapped off the same line as my boost gauge, sensor itself is mounted to the strut bar on the driver's side of the engine bay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in