Another Hi-Power Viggen Build..God Help Me - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
TSLMember

Another Hi-Power Viggen Build..God Help Me

Ok, so inspired by years of internet searches, and pouring over and over Brentjj's build, yllwjet's build...and others, I have to build my Viggen. The real story behind this build takes place 4 years ago with the buying of my first Saab, the beloved 5dr. Viggen Clone, Annika. It took 3 years for me to source the exterior, interior, and misc parts to make it a true clone. I did a crazy ton of work on her, and it was a beautiful car. However, I was victim to the Floridian driving here, and took 3 hits, repairing the car all 3 times, until the 4th rear end accident, that cost the car it's life. With the insurance money, I was able to buy another, TRUE #'s matching 2000 Viggen from a dude named "Diesel" who had no idea what he had. The car was kinda in bad shape, but with all the 4,000$ + performance parts I had on Annika, ALL of my parts transferred. That was the coolest part, imagine taking 3 years to buy all your performance parts, as opposed to getting everything you want for your car, Fast and the Furious style, and doing it all at once.

Anyway, the reason I needed to rebuild the engine is because in 2013 I purchased Eggyolked's GT3071r turbo, bottom-mount set up, planning on building a 400hp, 450whltq monster out of red "Viggen". The turbo has been sitting on a shelf in my house as a center piece. I've been looking to install her, but the costs were just too great to perform.

My car last night unfortunately overheated (Silver Viggen) let us call her, ELSA, and this morning I got the verdict....compression readings : Cyl 4-150, Cyl 3-160, Cyl 2-150, Cyl-1 70 psi. Normally I had checked the cylinder compression a few weeks ago, and I think I was getting 170 / 169 on all cylinders. I'm assuming the head is warped. I just pulled the oil plug and water poured out first, followed by oil. So I def have a nasty blown gasket somewhere. It's going to take a few weeks to get this thing done, but it's going to happen now. No chance not to. I will update as much as possible with the first round of pics to come.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
TSLMember

Here are a few pics of the Sister's together, before I dismantled the red "Viggen" and focused on the real Viggen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1937.jpg (51.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2449.jpg (401.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1720.jpg (405.1 KB, 43 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
TSLMember

Some of the work already done to the Viggen includes ported exhaust manifold, and ported exhaust housing. The porting job, especially once the manifold to the head transition was done gave me a really nice, deeper exhaust note, smoother idling, and the torque curve was easier. On-throttle it was more of a easing-in to your power band, with a lot of high end breathing (t5 cams are also installed).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2231.jpg (383.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2613.jpg (394.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2692.jpg (384.0 KB, 27 views)

Old 02-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
TSLMember

All bulbs in the dash were also replaced with LED's. I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you have A LOT of time on your hands , and are really good at handling frustration. The ABS unit was re-build by [email protected] who does an outstanding job, for guess what?? CHEAP. And the results are good. Contact him if you need ABS work done. He has a good turnaround time as well. Getting full-boost and abs back was really nice.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
TSLMember

GenuineSaab hardened upper-strut mounts, Koni-yellow adjustable shocks, Vogtland springs, and steering knuckles painted yellow. I think one of the better color combinations besides black is yellow on grey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2697.jpg (367.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1758.jpg (371.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1933.jpg (397.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
TSLMember

Complete Innovate Gauge Setup-Oil Pressure / Temp, AFR, Boost, and EGT gauges custom installed by me. What a PAIN IN THE @$$
Old 02-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
TSLMember

One of the first tasks with the new Viggen was swapping over the suspension from the Red Car. Well, the Viggen had a few frozen bolts in the subframe. I mean so frozen that I did everything imaginable, to break them, and finally used a welder to heat the bolt cherry glowing red to try and break it. Would not come. So I found a thread on here of a guy who cut into the floorpan above the center subframe bolt. I did some crude calcualtions, and used a hole-saw to locate the top of the bolt where the threaded piece is tack-welded inside. I had then to use a JACKHAMMER to knock-off the threaded insert, and the hack-job turned out unnoticeable. It really bothered me that my work wasn't clean, but I did the best I could. It really slowed things down, but I renewed the threads, and double-nutted the subframe bolts in, and they hold very nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1731.jpg (394.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1733.jpg (400.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1734.jpg (409.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 02-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
TSLMember

My poor friend's garage...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1736.jpg (370.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1725.jpg (373.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1729.jpg (386.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Those compression numbers seemed kind of low.
Aren't these usually around 200psi?

Either way, Glad you found a Viggen to save. I'm sure you'll love it when it's done!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #10
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Cars with 100k+ its not uncommon to have 185 or so, but lower than that is a bit low.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #11
TSLMember

The old build was pretty nice, and yea, that compression, it's def on the low side. But when it was running (yesterday) it was really putting down some nasty power. It's got a custom JZW stage 4 tune, and was putting down around 285 to the wheels. I was on the ragged edge of t7 pistons. I have all the supporting mods, including black anodized ETS intercooler, t5 cams, walbro 255, 3.5 fpr...etc.

I was putting 469 nwtn Meters tq at 5200 rpm according to OpenSid in 3rd gear, which is 345.91 ft. lbs, and at 5,200 rpm i was getting 345 hp to the crank...15 % drivetrain losses are around 293 whp. ( This is probably going to start some kind of war...lol...but again...these are the numbers I was getting off OpenSid)

Now..this of course it all math, and real-world dyno numbers are always so much lower. Plus, that is the power I was making at full throttle, for a split second...But it's nice to THINK that's around the power I was getting into. But, not sure what she was ACTUALLY doing.

The td04 was fully hand- ported, and I have a forge wastegate actuator and bpv. The yellow spring in the actuator and green spring in the dump valve. It felt very nice. Anyway, it'll be nice to see what my hoped for goals of 450hp, 450 whl. tq will feel like when the car is actually all done.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:26 AM   #12
TSLMember

More shots of the red Vig.

Loved this red car! Tons...I Mean...TONS of work were done to her. She just got hit too many times, but when I'm done with the Silver Viggen, I will have it looking as good, and performing like a monster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0438.jpg (399.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0441.jpg (374.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0942 (1).jpg (405.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0958.jpg (391.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0960.jpg (372.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0961.jpg (408.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-24-2015, 04:28 AM   #13
TSLMember

Hankook Ventus RS-3 Sticky Icky-ness...teaching my son proper torque specs, and removing the stock "Spaghetti-Strainer". And GenuineSaab day! Who doesn't LOVE getting this package at your door after work?!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:43 AM   #14
TSLMember

Some more shots of the interior of my red Viggen. I bought these seats, and the interior from a user...that took 7 months from the time I SUBMITTED payment to him, and the time I got them delivered. What a nightmare. Now I have an entire extra Viggen interior...everything...But Im using it currently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1072.jpg (400.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1073.jpg (391.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1074.jpg (422.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1118 (1).jpg (402.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1144 (1).jpg (378.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1176 (1).jpg (374.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1182 (1).jpg (399.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1183 (1).jpg (397.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1184 (1).jpg (404.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1185 (1).jpg (414.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-24-2015, 04:43 AM   #15
TSLMember

Also I kept blowing gaskets on the red viggen...can you guess where>? It was really getting annoying.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:47 AM   #16
TSLMember

Some more shots of the red car. She was really pretty much done, except for a few engine things when I got hit and destroyed. The right -rear quarter panel was crushed in. The bumper rail was crushed, the red Viggen bumper was missing the paint all over it from the impact. Just sad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1317.jpg (381.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1323.jpg (388.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1395.jpg (431.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-24-2015, 04:49 AM   #17
TSLMember

T-5 Cams were the first job I did upon getting the silver Viggen. Instantly better, more torque..etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1593.jpg (413.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1559.jpg (221.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-24-2015, 04:52 AM   #18
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Gotta plane that manifold. Especially if you're heat-wrapping it. All that heat, trapped in the manifold seems like a surefire way to warp a cast manifold.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:34 AM   #19
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Shame about the red car, it looked very nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #20
TSLMember

g96, I was kind of hoping the head would warp WITH the manifold...

I kid. I kid.

Got some parts today. Complete gasket set for the top end, and some misc bolts came in from Saabsite. Shipped quick as hell. Ordered them yesterday morning. 6-puck clutch from Clutchnet shipping today from Cali, and Viggen Pressure Plate and throwout bearing from GeniuneSaab. I also have the uprated red clutch line on the tranny already. Pics to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
high power, viggen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in