Thats all shes got capin, 415bhp/532ft-lb - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Performance Modifications for the New 9-3

Performance Modifications for the New 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the new 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
JZW
Elder

Thats all shes got capin, 415bhp/532ft-lb

We have maxed out the 19T at 6000' elevation, that is all she got, no more boost, the injectors maxed out and the timing as high as we can go.

Thats all she's got, put down 415bhp and 532ft-lbs with the 20% drive train loss of AWD, which really does seem to suck the power when compared to the FWD V6 cars.

Here is the base-line too, but its hard to use it as a real base-line since the turbo is already working harder at elevation to make the same power as sea-level, so more heat and energy is used just to try and make stock power and that means you would see a larger difference when comparing a base-line at sea-level, ie stock vs 19t turbo. But, here it is anyway, only two pulls tonight, we can see there is no more boost to be had, waste-gate is 95% shut all the way across and fuel is where we want it.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eric-415bhp-532-ft-lbs.jpg (129.2 KB, 77 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
We have maxed out the 19T at 6000' elevation, that is all she got, no more boost, the injectors maxed out and the timing as high as we can go.

Thats all she's got, put down 415bhp and 532ft-lbs with the 20% drive train loss of AWD, which really does seem to suck the power when compared to the FWD V6 cars.

Here is the base-line too, but its hard to use it as a real base-line since the turbo is already working harder at elevation to make the same power as sea-level, so more heat and energy is used just to try and make stock power and that means you would see a larger difference when comparing a base-line at sea-level, ie stock vs 19t turbo. But, here it is anyway, only two pulls tonight, we can see there is no more boost to be had, waste-gate is 95% shut all the way across and fuel is where we want it.

John
Dude....we need to have multiple beers when you're at Carlisle.

If the turbo is working harder at elevation (which it is) to make sea level power, then the output at the wheels should match or come very close to sea-level output. ...and if that's the case, then the artificially high SAE correction factor applied on the dyno is meaningless for FI vehicles. The turbo is already compensating as much as it can for the lower air pressure

Which makes altitude dyno numbers valid for apple-to-apples comparisons with the same or similar cars at altitude...but for little else.

Last edited by mike saunders; 03-07-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #3

I know...I know....

Old 03-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to 2legit2quit
Damn that must be tits. This thing must take one some impressive cars
Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
I know...I know....

We can argue cf all day long, the point is that you see a larger difference in stock vs tuned at sea-level because when you tune, you use what efficiency in the turbo that is left. At sea-level, say its 20%, you get to use all of that 20% and make more power. At elevation, 10% is already being used to just try and maintain stock power, so when you tune, there is only 10% left to pull from, so the difference from stock are far less.

I see it all the time and with these 93 cars, the Sae number are lower and have been consistantly lower by about 20bph. Dyno a stg 1 car here in Denver and the Sae numbers will be about 20bhp lower than the same tune on the same year car at Sea-level. Have multiple dynos showing that.

Anyway, I have another guy doing a 19T at sea-level. He is FWD though, he made 300whp with just the tune and exhaust, so with 19T, should not be an issue reaching 350whp or right at 415bhp,

John
Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
JZW
Elder

Here is the screen shot of the dyno pull in HP tuners, you can see the waste-gate duty cycle is 95%, that is holding the waste-gate as closed as it can with the base-boost set-up, then you can see the fueling, the timing and the airmass. It tells the entire story, its all in there

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eric-hptuner-415bhp-532ft-lbs.jpg (312.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
ERP

Send a message via AIM to ERP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post
Damn that must be tits.
It's so good that it is two tits!

Here's the video of the dyno

1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #8

That's pretty sweet......Definite kudos....
Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
ERP

Thanks for the kudos, I was hungry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #10

I want to be you...

now go shoot down some mitsubishis!
GS stuff
oil leak
Old 03-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
dont make me photoshop a dick in your mouth
Old 04-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
SAABeginner

What is the max this turbo could put down in a viggen?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestranger66 View Post
What is the max this turbo could put down in a viggen?
Depends on whether you're at altitude or not...
Old 04-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #14
ERP

Here is data from a very similar setup as mine at sea level, (New Jersey). Specs: 2007 V6, 19T with stock turbine, larger injectors, catless downpipe, highflow midpipe, upgraded clutch.

Peak airflow is just over 40 lbs-min, around 400 crank hp. With this setup I could only make 31 lbs-min at my altitude.

Last edited by ERP; 04-03-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #15

400 BHP or WHP?

and looks like the guy in Jersey has a bit more fueling room

Last edited by mike saunders; 04-03-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #16

Somehow my Viggen put down +- 2 HP at altitude as it did at sea level......

Same thing happened when I moved back to altitude.....maybe I was only tuned for Altitude....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Depends on whether you're at altitude or not...
Old 04-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Quote:
Originally Posted by DViggen View Post
Somehow my Viggen put down +- 2 HP at altitude as it did at sea level......
veeeeeeeery interesting!

I've read enough posts on it to realize it's a dead subject about the whole altitude/correction factor blah blah blah business... but I guess my thoughts are... who the hell cares? If your car made X amount of power, then you did some tweaks, and then it made X++ power, isn't that what counts? I mean, who gives two shits if it's at sea level, a mile high, or on the freaking moon for Christ's sake? If the car drives well and feels the way you want it to "seat of the pants", shouldn't that be good enough without having to compare stats and brag about power numbers and what not?

And I'm sorry, the whole "he has the same setup as me and makes XYZ power, so that must mean I make the same amount" argument is like saying your girlfriend has the same measurements as some supermodel, so she must be just as hot. Give me a break!

I'm not knocking John, I'm definitely not knocking Mike, and I'm definitely not knocking the owner car. These dynoes seem they can be the devil. I'm so tired of hearing about loss because it's FWD, RWD, AWD, is at sea level, or was done underwater, was on a mustang dyno, or whattheshitever. What it makes is what it makes, be happy about it.

Your Turbo X is bad-fucking-ass!!! The sound is phenomenal, and the power/torque curve is awesome. Enjoy your 19t

Last edited by Cark; 04-03-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
Your Turbo X is bad-fucking-ass!!! The sound is phenomenal, and the power/torque curve is awesome. Enjoy your 19t

This.

It's an absolutely evil car, regardless of what it makes or where it is.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #19
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to DanF.
How are the transmissions on these cars?

Can they handle the abuse/torque of a tuned engine like this?
1987 900T parts car
1987 900 SPG parts car
1991 900T sold
1997 9000 Aero sold
2004 9-5 Aero sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in