Eric makes 300whp on Turbo-X - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Performance Modifications for the New 9-3

Performance Modifications for the New 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the new 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
JZW
Elder

Eric makes 300whp on Turbo-X

Eric was able to dyno yesterday and with the new 19T turbo upgrade and still on stock injectors, we were able to make 300whp, 381wtrq, with the AWD, that is about 375bhp and 480ft-lbs.

Air fuel was perfect, some tuners still run it in the high 13.5 to 13.8 range, got it to drop right down to 12.8 across the board...

Working on the launch control now too, should have that working soon,

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eric-turbo-x-19t-dyno-375bhp-480-ft-2.jpg (77.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg eric-19t-dyno-air-fuel-graph.jpg (86.1 KB, 19 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

That's Awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
How will launch control be supported? Some kind of aftermarket controller?

Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #4

Those are really amazing numbers, even with the listed SAE correction of 21 percent.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Site Moderator

Is there much of a precedent yet for running big numbers on that trans?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
I seem to think the limits of the Haldex system are around 500whp or something?

Not sure about the trans itself..
Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
I seem to think the limits of the Haldex system are around 500whp or something?

Not sure about the trans itself..
I remember talking to Spgeebee88 when the T-X came out. He told me from just looking at the case that it was a pretty tough trans. Lots of bracing and gussets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

I bet that drives pretty nice.

I would like to get in one of your tuned Turbo X's just to see what they can do. How does it handle the extra power, coming out of corners ect...........
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Elder

I saw no rated torque numbers anywhere in the service literature. The XWD system came out right when things started to go to shit with SAAB, and service info started to get pretty lax towards the end.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
ERP
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ERP
Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
How will launch control be supported? Some kind of aftermarket controller?
As John explained it to me it is all done with stock software. If I remember correctly the speed alarm is set to 1 mph and then you hold the brake, bring up the revs and the ECU will hold it at 4k rpms, or where ever you want it set. Once you take off and pass 1 mph the ECU released the rev hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88 View Post
Is there much of a precedent yet for running big numbers on that trans?
Not really, I know of one other 19T AWD V6 in the US but I have never talked to the guy. There are a few FWD V6's with this power, but again I have not heard about any transmission issues. My guess is that the clutch will be the first thing to go. I don't race my Turbo X and rarely do full throttle pulls for more than one gear. It is daily driven by my wife, so with that alone I expect the transmission and drive train to last a long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAERO View Post
I would like to get in one of your tuned Turbo X's just to see what they can do. How does it handle the extra power, coming out of corners ect...........
The tires on it never spin, even with the winter Blizzaks on. The Haldex does a fantastic job moving the power around. But it is a heavy car, and full power during a corner is somewhere between exciting and damn scary. It would understeer me right out of the turn if pushed hard enough to pass the grip of the tires
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -

Last edited by ERP; 01-18-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
SAABeginner

I'm personally wondering when the fwd trans hits it's limit. I'm sitting at 388wtrq and my clutch isn't even slipping yet. Alot of wheelspin in fwd though, I'm envious towards your xwd. Although I'm fairly positive when I upgrade the injectors, and turbo to the 19T I'm going to atleast need a clutch.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNSlaab View Post
I'm personally wondering when the fwd trans hits it's limit. I'm sitting at 388wtrq
Nice!! Mods?

Quote:
Old 01-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #13
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Nice!! Mods?
John posted a thread about it.
https://www.saablink.net/forum/perfor...-9-3/58738.htm

I have 3" turbo back 409 mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust, small FMIC, and a custom aggressive tune from JZW.

/thread hy-jack sorry Eric. lol
Old 01-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
JZW
Elder

I found the Speed Limiter :-)

Hip HIP Hurray I just spent about 15 hours working ME 9.6 code and have found all kinds of good stuff, everything you could ever want to tune and two big things, the one byte indicated torque limit, its set to 550Nm stock and that is not a map, just one byte and a set limiter. I located the one byte speed limiter, its set to 240kph on the file I am using, but have located it in Cj's file and Eric's turbo X file

I located all kinds of stuff, all the stuff for the launch control, 3 different rev limits, in neutral, in gear, soft. You set the soft limiter to 4500rpm and the hard limit stays at 6500rpm or so and then you just put it in first gear and its active, you go wot and it stutters at 4500rpm, buils a little boost and then you let the clutch out and come out of the hole. Once the car moves at all, it releases the first limiter and then you are running off the second limiter at 6500rpm. The speed limit is as low as it will go, 1.5kph. Its the same method used on Audi Bosh systems and the same way BSR does it too.

I found limiters by gears, cold start mapping, altitude corrections for torque and fuel, torque limit for auto trans, manual, torque reduction by coolant temp, oil temp, iat, drag reduction for elevation, all timing and fuel maps for flex fuel programs.

Found the code you can turn off the torque limit system and run off load and rpm for big turbo applications and many many other things...

John

Last edited by JZW; 01-19-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #15
Site Moderator

Eureka. Might have to get me a TX so you can turn it up to 11.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #16
Elder

Wicked awesome!! I have two questions.

Does the ME 9.6 engine management all ready have such things like launch control built in, and they are just not used? Or you've found thing parts you need to make the launch control work with some extra work.

Do you do this full time? I'd love to do something like this as an job(bordering on hobby).
Old 01-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
JZW
Elder

The stuff to make launch control work are already in there, it just takes some trickery like I mentioned to get it to work right. It was not set up for launch control by bosch, but by changing a few parameters, you get it to work. T5 does the launch control the same way, all the stuff is in there, but you have to tweak a few maps to make it work.

I have gone to full time now, I do nothing but tune and sell parts and dyno and read code. I have out a lot more information since I went full time.

The ultimate goal would be to have my own performance shop that does service too, but that is a big step

John
Old 01-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
Elder

Where can I send my resume?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #19
SAABeginner

John

A little off topic.. If you want your own shop, do you or would you tune diesel trucks (Duramax/Power Stroke/Cummins)? If so, what software for tuning. I think there is lots of money in trucks in the US.

Jay
Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #20
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Crazy. I want one even more now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in