I have been test driving the 2.8 V6 Aero’s. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Performance Modifications for the New 9-3

Performance Modifications for the New 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the new 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #1

I have been test driving the 2.8 V6 Aero’s.

I have been test driving the 2.8 V6 Aero’s. I was not impressed with the power. I know .8L is not much but I would have thought I would have seen some difference
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
I was not impressed either.

I feel like the car was seriously detuned. It was have been easy to come from the factory with 300hp, and 350hp with a basic stage 2 tune.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
The fact is its a much smoother motor which is why its deceptive in its feel.

I do agree though it is seriously detuned somewhat. Some of that though may be pressure from the european market where you can end up paying higher taxes on a vehicle for larger displacement/power.

I'm still planning to get one as my next new car when I'm able to afford it. I liked it from when I drove it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
Editor
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Some of that though may be pressure from the european market where you can end up paying higher taxes on a vehicle for larger displacement/power.
This is so funny to think about. I don't think I ever saw a gasoline V6 all summer...
Old 12-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Bouquins View Post
This is so funny to think about. I don't think I ever saw a gasoline V6 all summer...
Hence my point. However that doesn't mean that some aren't over there.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Might like this sort of a rough comparison
Blue is a V6 2.8t stock, Red is Stg1 2.8t BSR, Grey is stage 2 2.0T BSR both 6speed on same dyno in same gear. Start speed was a little higher on the 4 though.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 06-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
You guys should see the work Brian B (aka VTuner) is doing with the 2.8T.

Stage 0 is 320HP, Stage 1 is 360HP. These engines have monster potential.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Ohh really

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
You guys should see the work Brian B (aka VTuner) is doing with the 2.8T.

Stage 0 is 320HP, Stage 1 is 360HP. These engines have monster potential.
im interested!!
Old 06-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo
What's Stage 0? I thought at least an ECU would be considered Stage 1.

I can't believe the stock dyno, no wonder they feel a little anemic. Tons of potential in that engine. Stock I liked it alright, didn't blow me away, but it sounds good and has a lot of potential. Their previous V6 engines have been less than stellar on the reliability scale, so it remains to be seen how this 2.8T will fare in that category.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #10

Ive had my 2.8 for a couple months now and yeah its not as quick as my stage 3 99 9-3 but its sooooo much more refined. i can actually use 1st n 2nd gear, and you cant even compare the cars as far as handling goes im taking turns 20/30mph faster then my old 9-3.

kinda off topic but has anyone used HPtuners for the 2.8? last i heard they still didnt have all the files unlocked but that was a long time ago.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Elder

As long as you sell it when the warranty expires - good car to drive, horrible on fuel, and lacks any real power. Shoe Horned Engine - GM crappy timing chains & porous engine blocks, overall it still costs too much
for your repair needs
Old 06-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
agreeing w/burnside on this one. i would be terrified of owning one out of warranty.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:03 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Stage 0 is just an ECU tune (via HPTuners VCM Suite), Stage 1 is a 19T upgrade and ECU reflash.

I don't think the engine is THAT hard to work on, and we'll see how long term reliability is...The CTS has been using the same basic engine for quite a while...haven't heard any major horror stories (ala Northstar).

In it's stock form, the engine is waaay under optimized, but I think the sheer power you can make, plus having XWD to actually put that power down, makes it the best option for a true high-po Saab in years.

http://www.vtunersaabs.com/

Brian is a really nice guy, met him at a few of our autocrosses as he was shaking down his Stage 1 tune (he has a FWD Aero).

Old 06-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
Stage 0 is just an ECU tune (via HPTuners VCM Suite), Stage 1 is a 19T upgrade and ECU reflash.

I don't think the engine is THAT hard to work on, and we'll see how long term reliability is...The CTS has been using the same basic engine for quite a while...haven't heard any major horror stories (ala Northstar).

In it's stock form, the engine is waaay under optimized, but I think the sheer power you can make, plus having XWD to actually put that power down, makes it the best option for a true high-po Saab in years.

http://www.vtunersaabs.com/

Brian is a really nice guy, met him at a few of our autocrosses as he was shaking down his Stage 1 tune (he has a FWD Aero).
^I was talking to him for a few at Stowe II. He told me the car dyno's at 310, with some obscene amount of torque. Certainly looked like he was struggling for traction out there

On the original subject... my brother has an '06 9-3 Aero Combi 6spd. I was certainly impressed by the power, but I suppose it's a matter of perspective. Getting out of an N/A NG with dead suspension and no-seasons and into that car was mind blowing

Old 06-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42 View Post
As long as you sell it when the warranty expires - good car to drive, horrible on fuel, and lacks any real power. Shoe Horned Engine - GM crappy timing chains & porous engine blocks, overall it still costs too much

No Its Not a Crappy Timing chains & porous block engine. It Looks Very similar to Something the Swedes might have made themselves. The Block and Heads are Very Good Looking Peices. Not Typical GM JUNK.

After repeated Overheating due to a Thermostat Failure this one Required Heads. SO What. The Intakes Are HUGE! Its Way Choked Down, Electronicaly This thing is HOT, Its Just not alowed to show itself for some reason right now. Time will tell.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #16
Elder

What a Mess! lol
When I was at GM school in NY awhile back Rich had mentioned that they had the same timing chains the SRX has - which are the poorly tempered ones which stretch and break. Only a handful had shown up in the first few months of marketing them, I have no idea if that number has grown like the caddy's did. Also - they were having MANY block issues and coolant going missing - no external leaks. The caddys did not have this problem however. Given - Saab DID upgrade the heads and pistons to take some real power, I'm sure those are tough and rather problem free. I forget what else Saab had changed on the motors to add the turbo. I hated replacing power steering pumps on those motors - I don't miss that!
for your repair needs
Old 07-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

[QUOTE=Harvey's
No Its Not a Crappy Timing chains & porous block engine. It Looks Very similar to Something the Swedes might have made themselves. The Block and Heads are Very Good Looking Peices. Not Typical GM JUNK.

After repeated Overheating due to a Thermostat Failure this one Required Heads. SO What. The Intakes Are HUGE! Its Way Choked Down, Electronicaly This thing is HOT, Its Just not alowed to show itself for some reason right now. Time will tell.
[/QUOTE]

Saab did a lot of changes to this engine

this engine is way throttled back ...

time will tell

I have just bought one ...

with a hirsch upgrade as I wanted to keep the warranty as long as I can
but they fit a new i/c and airbox so should serve well for the future

Maptun reckon 500 hp easily

we will see...
Old 07-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to SaabDriver87
Honestly, I've driven some V6s that felt like absolute dogs and some that genuinely felt fast.

We sold a lot of these V6 cars the last few years and aside from the classic coolant bottle/hose failures, and the occasional ignition coil shitting out, we really haven't had too many issues with them.

I do have to agree with the above statement that I would hate to own one out of warranty as even the simplest tasks on these cars are quite labor intensive.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to VIGGENIT
I'll agree that mpg can suffer some what if you are always putting your foot in it. Ive done a lot of road trips with mine and get 30-31mpg out of it...my 9-5 with the same driving gets 33. Combined i usually see 25-26 with the V6 and 27-28 with the 9-5...nothing horrible. I still enjoy driving the 9-3 V6 more though...just a fun engine to climb thru the revs in...can't wait to get another one.
88 900T
"the saab 900: built like a Merc, safe as a Volvo, and so much cooler than a BMW"
Old 02-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

The "new" V6 Saab uses is much improved from the old V6 used in the 9-5. I have an 06 9-3 Aero with GM's global V6 used across the board in many vehicles. I had 2nd thoughts in the begining but I love it. I thought about getting the 2007 Anniversary edition with the time tested 2.0t but once I drove the Aero I was hooked. Saab did a good job beefing up the engine to take on the turbo too so I feel pretty confident that the engine will last quite some time. It's smooth, fun to drive and has a great sound under acceleration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in