2.0 or 2.8, whats recomended?? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Performance Modifications for the New 9-3

Performance Modifications for the New 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the new 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Arrow 2.0 or 2.8, whats recomended??

hi im new to this site, and being that im looking into getting a Saab 9-3 2004 or newer i need to know some things about this car and what you can and cant do. my goals, to make lots-o-powa!

1st off, whats prefered, the I4 or the V6?? i will be doing all the bolt ons to this car, modification is my middle name (i wish)

whether its the I4 or V6 these are my plans.

- Intake
- Hardpipe chargepipe
- catless downpipe
- catback exhaust
- Tune

what i wanna do is make around 310-350 hp on the I4 and V6. is it possible with these mods to get there? to get there what else would i need to do?

- intercooler
- injectors
- turbo (if so what kind? whats recomended? etc.)

i currently own a 2006 chevy cobalt 2.2 ecotec. but in defense i have turbocharged it and am pushing around 7psi (which is faster then u think) ive done all this to it custom everything. but i want something more classy and more powerful, im hopeing the 9-3's my ticket.

some vids of my car btw for fun, if you wanna know more about that, PM me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P1r1r7dScg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsZIL7zV4vc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NGQ93bIxxQ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
I would stick with the 2.0 as there is a bigger line of tuning parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Elder

Everything that is available for the 2.0 is also available for the 2.8. Plus the 2.8 gives you a better starting point, powerwise.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
The 2.0 is the way to go if you wanna mod it IMO.

Why? Well it has a larger aftermarket both in the GM and Saab world than the 2.8.

However, the stock V6 is closer to the number you want. It will just take more money and time to get the same numbers.

In all reality there are MUCH easier and cheaper cars out there to turn the kind of numbers you want. But, you will have something unique with a Saab.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I don't know much about either engine, but it soulds like you have more experience on the 4 cyl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 09-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
2.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is a really good motor. well they both are. they both have 6bolt mains. and the 2.8 has cast lined cylnder walls. i guess theres a guy in sweden with a GT30 on a 2.8 makeing around 500hp
Old 09-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta2.2 View Post
hi im new to this site, and being that im looking into getting a Saab 9-3 2004 or newer i need to know some things about this car and what you can and cant do. my goals, to make lots-o-powa!

1st off, whats prefered, the I4 or the V6?? i will be doing all the bolt ons to this car, modification is my middle name (i wish)

whether its the I4 or V6 these are my plans.

- Intake
- Hardpipe chargepipe
- catless downpipe
- catback exhaust
- Tune

what i wanna do is make around 310-350 hp on the I4 and V6. is it possible with these mods to get there? to get there what else would i need to do?

- intercooler
- injectors
- turbo (if so what kind? whats recomended? etc.)

i currently own a 2006 chevy cobalt 2.2 ecotec. but in defense i have turbocharged it and am pushing around 7psi (which is faster then u think) ive done all this to it custom everything. but i want something more classy and more powerful, im hopeing the 9-3's my ticket.

some vids of my car btw for fun, if you wanna know more about that, PM me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P1r1r7dScg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsZIL7zV4vc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NGQ93bIxxQ

IMO get a 05-08 SS..... 03-04SS are on my list with V6 9-5's they can have ALOT of issuses
Old 01-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
SAABeginner

ok this is gonna sound noobish but whats the "SS" stand for??

if i got this car, i will be tuneing it with HPtuners if i got the 2.8 v6 model trim.

is there any option i should be looking out for that i should get if i buy one of these?

and can someone post up the companies that make aftermarket engine parts for the 2.8? (ie. pistons, rods, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, etc)

Last edited by Delta2.2; 01-07-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Sports sedan vs. the three- and five-door hatch versions from the late '90s, early naughts.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
SS=Sports Sedan

You can hit your goals easily with a new 08+ Cobalt lol. But you want classy.

I prefer the 2.0T. But to hit 310+hp at the crank you will need a turbo and injectors along with the other parts mentioned.

A 2.8T will get 310hp crank on a stock turbo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Also, not sure what your budget is here, but you might want to check out this thread for some deals on 08s and 09s.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
SS=Sports Sedan

You can hit your goals easily with a new 08+ Cobalt lol. But you want classy.

I prefer the 2.0T. But to hit 310+hp at the crank you will need a turbo and injectors along with the other parts mentioned.

A 2.8T will get 310hp crank on a stock turbo.
lol ya the new 08 turbo balts can make some NASTY power believe me i know.

but those cost a lot more then what im willing to spend. if i get a saab its gonna be used and its gonna be a 06 or newer simply because i own HPTuners Suite and they have unlocked the 2.8 so i can tune it myself.

right now my car is quick....like really quick and im just trying to ensure that if i get this new saab im not taking a step backwards.

which is why im poseing the questions about people listing manufactuers who have aftermarket engine parts.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
lol ya the new 08 turbo balts can make some NASTY power believe me i know.

but those cost a lot more then what im willing to spend. if i get a saab its gonna be used and its gonna be a 06 or newer simply because i own HPTuners Suite and they have unlocked the 2.8 so i can tune it myself.

right now my car is quick....like really quick and im just trying to ensure that if i get this new saab im not taking a step backwards.

which is why im poseing the questions about people listing manufactuers who have aftermarket engine parts.
I have seen 08' Balt SS-T's for sub $20k new. There is one on ebay that is mint with no damage from a dealership fire for $14.9k lol. A 2.8T will be $15-19k depending on year with 30k or less.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

IMO go with the 2.0. Yes you will need a turbo upgrade, but it gets much better fuel mileage, much bigger aftermarket,less weight over the front end, easier to work on under the hood, and overall probably more bang for the buck.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #15
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
I have seen 08' Balt SS-T's for sub $20k new. There is one on ebay that is mint with no damage from a dealership fire for $14.9k lol. A 2.8T will be $15-19k depending on year with 30k or less.
well to be honest, i can get a really good deal on a 9-3. even so that isnt the reason why i want the V6 over the I4

the I4 scene ive been in over 3 years now. its great no doubt, learned a lot, did a lot in it with my car, and thats all fine and dandy BUT theres a difference.

the I4 for the saab 9-3 ive heard is not mod friendly to an aftermarket turbo thats larger and is a complicated pcm thats difficult to understand and limited, please inform me if im wrong on this. if i got the I4, trust me, first things changed on that bad boy goes as follows, 60's # inj, gt3071r externally gated turbo, and tuneing myself. but since im not familier with the saab setup and ive read up on how complicated it really is i dont wanna bother.

on the other hand

the V6 is special to me. my dad works for GM and the 3.6L v6 is his baby pretty much. hes been working on this engine for quite sometime and you all can thank him for this nice engine ina way. this engine is bullett proof and is amazing in every way. thats why id like to say that i own a car with an engine my dad designed under the hood, how many people get to say that?!

and thats one big reason why i want that engine, that and i own currently HPTuners software and cable which is an Excellent tuneing software btw HIGHLY RECOMEND IT TO ANYONE. my brother uses it to tune his 05 cobalt SS supercharged (LSJ engine same as I4 turbo in saab) and for my buddies in my car club. so i would be able to tune that saab myself for exactly what i want.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
I'm planning on a 2.8 for my next saab and I liked it from my test drive. Lots of potential in that motor but Saab really needs to have the direct injection version of both the new global v6 and the ecotec I4.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXer01 View Post
IMO go with the 2.0. Yes you will need a turbo upgrade, but it gets much better fuel mileage, much bigger aftermarket,less weight over the front end, easier to work on under the hood, and overall probably more bang for the buck.
2.8 dispite how the engine bay looks is not hard to work on at all the motor is very well designed

i'd buy a 2.8 in a heart beat! and i probly would buy one if i didnt have a little girl on the way
Old 01-08-2009, 04:52 AM   #18

Quote:
well to be honest, i can get a really good deal on a 9-3. even so that isnt the reason why i want the V6 over the I4

the I4 scene ive been in over 3 years now. its great no doubt, learned a lot, did a lot in it with my car, and thats all fine and dandy BUT theres a difference.

the I4 for the saab 9-3 ive heard is not mod friendly to an aftermarket turbo thats larger and is a complicated pcm thats difficult to understand and limited, please inform me if im wrong on this. if i got the I4, trust me, first things changed on that bad boy goes as follows, 60's # inj, gt3071r externally gated turbo, and tuneing myself. but since im not familier with the saab setup and ive read up on how complicated it really is i dont wanna bother.

on the other hand

the V6 is special to me. my dad works for GM and the 3.6L v6 is his baby pretty much. hes been working on this engine for quite sometime and you all can thank him for this nice engine ina way. this engine is bullett proof and is amazing in every way. thats why id like to say that i own a car with an engine my dad designed under the hood, how many people get to say that?!

and thats one big reason why i want that engine, that and i own currently HPTuners software and cable which is an Excellent tuneing software btw HIGHLY RECOMEND IT TO ANYONE. my brother uses it to tune his 05 cobalt SS supercharged (LSJ engine same as I4 turbo in saab) and for my buddies in my car club. so i would be able to tune that saab myself for exactly what i want.
what are going to use to tune ME9? "HPTuners"? i like to see some more info on this
Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #19
SAABeginner

Arrow HPtuners - cant believe non of you thought of this yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgeebee88 View Post
what are going to use to tune ME9? "HPTuners"? i like to see some more info on this
lol you guys on here dont know about that, thats right...

on my car club forums hptuners is the #1 tuneing source most GM vehicals meaning when you get this, any car they support you dont have to rebuy the software, you just purchase the credits for that car and ur ready to go.

heres a list of vehicals they support....(and you all thought BSR was the shit HAH)

http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php <-- click and view

the 06-08 Saab 9-3 2.8 is the only 9-3 they support right now. thats why i'll be getting one in between those years. they also support 05-08 Saab 9-7x 5.3, 6.0 suv's as well.

my tuneing software is a bit different just cause HPT (abreviated there) didnt support my L61 for the cobalt but did for the cavalier oddly.

anyways, its a great program, it gives lots of parameters and lets you change w/e u like.

they also have a forum for updates, and guides and techiques for how to tune your car. if you read and follow instructions you can start to learn how it works and build upon that.

here is straight from their website

Quote:
The VCM Editor utility is a comprehensive VCM/PCM programmer and parameter editor.
VCM Editors Flash utility allows the user to read the VCM/PCM flash memory and save it to a binary file. The Flash utility allows a valid calibration to be written to the VCM/PCM and also incorporates an automatic VCM/PCM recovery capabilities for ultimate protection against any reflashing problems that may be encountered.

The VCM Editor also allows modification of the saved binary image. The VCM Editor allows all parameters such as Spark, Fuel, RPM Limits, FAN Temps, Transmission Shift points and pressures, Speedometer settings and many, many more. The editor provides an easy to use graphical interface and many powerful table manipulation capabilities such as copying, scaling and shifting to name a few.
some pictures of what i see on my laptop while i run the program.

...and now you know, ur welcome
Old 01-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #20

nice makes sense cause ME9 was designed by GM thats probly y they dont have T8 on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in