Air intake guide - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Performance Modifications for the New 9-3

Performance Modifications for the New 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the new 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to soggy
Smile Air intake guide

I thought I would write a quick summary for you guys on the possible air intake modifications for the 93ss. A couple of quick things you need to remember, first off almost all of these with the exception of the drop in filters HAVE been reported to throw the MAF censor. The result is a CEL, and the car will go into limp mode. Second off, you will see little to NO performance gain from modifying the air intake on this car. All performance gains must be done via software. Changing the air intake will allow for a more "sporty" engine sound, and will give you the "psshhhh" sound from the BPV. This is a bypass valve, not to be confused with a blow off valve, it still sounds good however. I have some audio/video clips of some of them, I'll upload them as I go.

Here they are:

- Speed parts open air / BSR open air (same as speed parts basically): This product was removed due to problems in the high RPM range. As of my knowledge the manufacturers are still selling them, however most resellers dropped them. The bug can be fixed with a software update that most newer cars should already have, if you have a 2k3 you may need to have the software update put on. http://www.elkparts.com/product_info...oducts_id/1217

- Simota carbon fiber: Very difficult to install, poor instructions. I contacted simota and received very poor support from them. As of my knowledge Iím the only person that has it properly installed, and thatís because my mechanic friends helped me out. I purchased it from PFS, it arrived in USED condition. I posted on SC about it and was BANNED. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT.

- JR drop in filter: This product has received the best reviews from everyone that has it!
http://www.elkparts.com/product_info...roducts_id/449 *** soGGys recommended product ***

- S&B drop in filter: IDK anyone thatís used it. http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=451

- Pipercross drop in filter: IDK anyone thatís used it, but it looks pretty snazzy to me. http://www.elkparts.com/product_info...oducts_id/3312

- K&N air intake: They have a drop in filter now supposedly and an open air intake type set up, once again IDK of anyone thatís used it.

- BSR drop in filter: IDK of anyone thatís ever used it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #2

Here's a short clip of the sound with the simota (not recommended)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFceEOCRt0U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
Trollerator
Elder

about the S&B, I thought I heard that genuinesaab has them made to a high quality specification that they have established, so they are probably actually just as good or better than the bigger more popular brand names.
I think there are quite a few people using the S&B cone filters on the genuinesaab intakes for ng9-3

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan

Old 11-21-2006, 06:52 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
I use the Drop in K&N Panel filter with a modified 3" Air box mod on my 9-3 SE HOT.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:18 AM   #5
TSLMember

One thing I wondered regaurding drop in filters... If I'm not gonna see any performance gains either way I go, I might as well go drop in. I really only wanted the intake for the psshhh (hah). Now most aftermarket filters I see are cones, but some of the drop in's I see for the 9-3 SS is the panel.. I haven't opened up my air box, but is the stockie a panel too? Speaking of air box, another thing I notced was the MAF is connected to the stock air box. Does that mean I would need to cut it off in order for it to work well with the drop in? Or could I drop in the K&N and put the air box back on top...? I have no clue!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Drop ins are identical shaped to your stock filter they just flow better. So no modification is needed to fit one on your car. Now you can do whats known as a 3" Air box mod to your stock air box. Do a search on here or SC for Air box mod and you should get some directions for it.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:21 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
I wonder why these all throw the CEL for the MAF sensor.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
I wonder why these all throw the CEL for the MAF sensor.
My panel filter and air box mod has never thrown a CEL on my car ever... what filters are you talking about throwing CELS?

Old 11-21-2006, 10:29 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy View Post
first off almost all of these with the exception of the drop in filters HAVE been reported to throw the MAF censor. The result is a CEL
Thats why I was asking. I know your setup won't cause a CEL but thats because all you have is a drop in filter which he said would not cause problems.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:32 AM   #10
Elder

Ahh ok... my setup is slighly different than a standard drop in as I went the 3" Funnel ram intake mod on the stock air box with the snorkel removed. Close to stock but not quite stock.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #11

Niether of you guys are on T8, you guys are on T7 I've even had a CEL thrown with mine despite it being set up properly. No you do not need to modify the MAF sensor with a drop in filter replacement. It is like a panel, you just pull the stock one and put in the other one, and it allows for better airflow, and will give you a bit of the pssshhh sound.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #12
Elder

The T8 is that sensitive then??

Old 11-21-2006, 01:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehayes01 View Post
The T8 is that sensitive then??
Hahahahaha, oh yeah. It can be a nightmare. I think part of the problem with the "open air" type intakes is that you have to move the MAF sensor, and moving the MAF sensor at all can trigger a CEL =/. I drove with mine on for several months and several thousand miles before it went into limp mode. Dealership cleared the error code and re-seated the MAF sensor and we are going to see what happens this time around.

Last edited by soggy; 11-21-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #14

up here a MSU our instructor had told us that sometimes the oil used in some filters (K&N) can mess with MAF's but in my car I've had a open filter that I oil from time to time and that hasn't had a problem. granted mine is a c900 not a T8 car.

1979 99 GL "99 Super"
1999 S10 ZR2
1991 Mazda Miata
78' Turbo
Old 11-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab99Super View Post
up here a MSU our instructor had told us that sometimes the oil used in some filters (K&N) can mess with MAF's but in my car I've had a open filter that I oil from time to time and that hasn't had a problem. granted mine is a c900 not a T8 car.
You are correct. On some air filters the oil will get loose and into the engine and damage it, it will also get on the MAF sensor throwing a CEL. You have to be carefull not to over oil the filters when you clean them. As of my knowledge this is a different problem than what a lot of us have been experiencing with the T8.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #16
TSLMember

I've got the KN intake on my car....no problems yet, and I just got home from driving to the Bay area and back (1800+ miles).
Old 11-21-2006, 11:45 PM   #17
TSLMember

Quote:
Drop ins are identical shaped to your stock filter they just flow better. So no modification is needed to fit one on your car. Now you can do whats known as a 3" Air box mod to your stock air box. Do a search on here or SC for Air box mod and you should get some directions for it.
I searched with no luck.You know where I can find this thread? I'd do this mod tomorrow if I had the right instructions!
Old 11-22-2006, 05:20 AM   #18
Elder

Here you go.... http://www.lehigh.edu/~cak7/Upgrades...1/3Intake.html

This will give you the idea of everything you need and the steps to do it.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:46 AM   #19
TSLMember

Quote:
Here you go.... http://www.lehigh.edu/~cak7/Upgrades...1/3Intake.html

This will give you the idea of everything you need and the steps to do it.
Awesome! Thanks a ton man... I just may have to call in sick to work today to enjoy this new mod I'll be doing, ha.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #20
Elder

LOL!! Your welcome....... The whole process will take you about 2 hours tops. If you put in a Forge or Hyperboost type Diverter Valve you will get a nice PSHHHHH during shifts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in