TE05 12B questions - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Performance Modifications for the Classic 900

Performance Modifications for the Classic 900 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Classic 900. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

TE05 12B questions

Hey all! I have a couple specific questions regarding the Mitsubishi turbo that came on the classics that I havent been able to find any where else.

Fist off does anyone one have a compressor map for this turbo? I have searched but can't seem to find one anywhere.

Second I have read that with the proper mods these can see "full boost" by 2k rpms, I assume thats about 8-10psi but I was wondering if someone with actual experience running this turbo could shin some light on this topic.

Third is the 5 bolt exhaust housing the same as the standard 5 bolt flange? It appears that it uses the same exhaust housing/flange as the bigger T3 but I want to double check.

I think that's everything I was wondering and if this info is somewhere in a big old sticky feel free to berate me haha
Thanks!
Alex

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
until something like this is available for saabs, there will be no slammage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Elder

I don't think I've seen a compressor map.

8-10 psi by 2k-2.5k is doable with some timing mods and 3"downpipe.

The 5 boot flange it uses is unique to that turbine housing, but I have seen similar Mitsubishi ones that I think listed they fit.

It's different from the T3 / Ford 5 bolt if that's your question.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
I might be wrong on a few of these things, and if I am, please correct me... but I'll try to remember what I think I've heard about the 12b over the years.

It was a 1 off, only used on the c900, meant as a direct replacement for the T3, so all the oil/water lines, intake, exhaust, all bolt right up.

Dave Kennedy builds/rebuilds them very well from what I've heard, he likes the 19t wheel. The TE05's are notorious for spooling up very quickly, but they run out of breath quickly too. If you really want the nitty gritty on the 12b, get ahold of him, he'll tell you all about it!

The 5 bolt flange is different than "ford 5 bolt" found on the T3's. I had originally considered having a TE05 built and using the ATP "ultimate" style waste gate, but was told it would not bolt up. Dave Kennedy and Brad at KC SAABs had both built some really amazing split DP's for the TE05's that divided the waste gate exhaust from the regular exhaust, and they joined up later on down the line.

Hopefully I haven't given any (or too much at least) misinformation here. It's all out there somewhere, but you'd have to piece it altogether.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post

The 5 boot flange it uses is unique to that turbine housing, but I have seen similar Mitsubishi ones that I think listed they fit.

It's different from the T3 / Ford 5 bolt if that's your question.
I found that out the hard way. Tried to put a Ford wastegate outlet pipe on one to use a Jak Stoll 3" downpipe--no workie.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 05-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #5

Glad I asked! Im curious if it is the same 5 bolt that holsets use.. Thanks for the rest of the info! I understand that they run out of steam at higher rpms which is exactly why I want it (sounds backwards I know) Biggest issue is if I can't get a 5 bolt flange for it easily Im not sure I can make it happen.. thanks for all the quick responses though!!

Quote:

Old 05-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
Elder

They make great drivable street car turbos for sure, I rarely rev my car over 4,500 rpm, and the TE-05 is awesome for that.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
^same here, that's why I wanted one for my 85, but it just wasn't in the cards/budget. I'm sure I'll pursue the TE05 option down the road...
Old 05-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #8

This is getting more specific to my project than general info about the turbo itself but on the topic of the 5 bolt being different and the wastegate being inboard of the 5 bolt flange I am aware that for an ewg setup I would need to either secure the wastegate shut externally or weld the flap. My question pertains to the 5 bolt to 3 bolt flange that goes to the turbo elbow. If I remember correctly those are only like 2.25in holes maybe.. would it be reasonable/feasible to cut that hole open more to run a larger less restrictive exhaust housing or would all the cutting/welding heat up the flange enough to ruin it?

I don't believe I have the equipment to make my own flange without warping the metal to complete hell..

Thanks again for all the helpful responses guys!

Quote:

Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
Te05s dont run out of power as quick as people think, they just make hotter air after a long pull, and heat soak the OEM intercooler much worse. a front mount fixes this issue, and makes for a pretty ballsy turbo setup

I personally like them much more than the t3, the t3 feels like a dinosaur compared to the teo5. never mind after a few bolt on

the 5 bolt flange is very different, for starters t3s have the waste integrated into the 5 bolt housing, teo5s do not.

you really cant heat up the flange enough to ruin it, its cast steel.

Last edited by mike d; 05-06-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #10

don't know much about mapping and tuning... I was told if your using T5 EMS tuning the ECM need to know the turbo.

but from a laymen perspective, its the best turbo for C900 DD.. spools quicker than the dinosaur garrett and although many claim they run out of spunk, if you want overtake boost for DD and nice burst of power all the while maintaining a street easy car its the turbo you want..

they can be rebuilt on the kitchen counter with a few o rings, seals, and bearings...

if you have one and plan to tear it down, you can get the shaft inspected and also have the wheels professionally balanced are my suggestions... Local diesel shop balanced, scribed, and inspected my shaft for $30 beans... if the shaft is bent the turbo is toast.... best to get checked if possible before any works...

there isn't any rocket science to the rebuild... the money is in shaft inspection (verified straight and true) and wheel balance.. all else to the rebuild is fools work..

How rough will full boost be at 2k RPM on your tranny? isn't that like 2nd gear? ouch..
Old 05-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
Elder

I think I have some extra stainless 5 bolt adapter flanges from when I was gonna sell downpipes at the shop, but I only ever made one (on JK88's car). I'll look when I get back into town and see if it's something you're interested in.

Quote:
Old 05-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #12

I might be if they were the Mitsubishi 5 bolt flange (not the garret) Also kinda curious how the Mitsubishi turbo flange is the same as the holset 5 bolt, doubtful but you never know!

Looks like if I get one Ill prob just bore out the factory flange somehow and weld the pipe onto that. Also if anyone has one laying around they would like to let go for cheap or trade for some other c900 goodies let me know!

Quote:

Old 05-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #13
Elder

So I have one of these left. I had a batch CNC cut from T304L stainless to make TE-05 downpipes from. You will have to fabricate the mouth of the downpipe to enclose the oval cutout, but this bolts right up to the turbine housing once you take the discharge flange off that mates to the stock 3-bolt cast iron elbow.

Send me a P/M if you're interested.

This is the downpipe I made for JK88 using one of these flanges.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1051313...063/3Downpipes

Quote:

Last edited by DrewP; 05-22-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #14

I will keep that in mind! Gotta get a TE05 first.. lol

Quote:

Old 05-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #15
Elder

Gotcha. Let me know!

If anyone else had interest in a flange, I might have another one somewhere that I could dig for.

Quote:
Old 06-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #16
SAABeginner

Just saw this chat and I was wondering if "DREWP" are you still making DP. I am in need for one on my 91 SPG convertible.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #17
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to jgg54
Drew, ditto the above DP question. Does this install require battery relocation?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #18
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I have a couple of those 5 bolt flanges kicking around. PM me if interested.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:54 AM   #19
SAABeginner

Could somebody help me with some information on the 5 bolt flange.
What is it actually called and is it the same bolt pattern as other turbos??
I would like to build a 3" downpipe for my c900 turbo even some measurements would be good so l could draw it up in SCAD and have it laser cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in