900 CE/GT Project - Page 7 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Performance Modifications for the Classic 900

Performance Modifications for the Classic 900 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Classic 900. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #121
Avid TSL User

I feel more and more confident to tackle the rust issues so i started removing some bad pieces around the shock mounting point in the passenger wheel well:

First the outline.

Then i started to remove metal:

The wheel well is spot welded to the bracket which holds the shock mount. If you look closely you can see 3 spotwelds.

I was lucky: only the wheel well material was seriously rusted. The bracket is of course made of thicker steel.

Next is welding in new piece of steel....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #122
Avid TSL User

It's been a while. I've been busy working mainly. recently I picked up the work on he GT. I've been welding the passenger wheel well. of course there was more rust than anticipated. So this is what I did:

I made sheet metal to fit and welded it in.

Then I started cutting here:
BTW I didn't use the repair piece in the picture. I only used a prefab bottom piece:

Fabrication of the side piece

Welding in the side piece:

I feel confident with the welder right now, so i'll work my way through the rust...

I also bought these:

a short shifter

and a new family member:
A '83 SAAB 99 with a 16v NA(!) engine:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-24-2015, 03:29 AM   #123
Avid TSL User

It has been nearly a year since the last post, i've been busy with other stuff. Recently i picket up work on the GT again! I only need to weld one spot in the trunk than the welding is done.. Man... if you keep looking for rust you'll keep finding rust.. Nothing too dramatic though.
I also started cleaning the underside. I really look forward to assembling now!

Welding the floor

Wheelarches:

Under the car & engine compartment

And i got a FMIC. It's a Yonaka type 6 and the story goes that it fits in the C900...We'll see.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:59 AM   #124
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torsten View Post

And i got a FMIC. It's a Yonaka type 6 and the story goes that it fits in the C900...We'll see.

It's tight, but it'll fit.

Do some searches on the Yonaka install here and saab central to guide you.

Last edited by white65; 05-24-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:51 AM   #125
Avid TSL User

@white:i did. Thanks for the pointer: Some very usefull tips in those threads!
Old 05-26-2015, 05:04 AM   #126
TSLMember

For your reducer hoses from the inter-cooler, check out intakehoses.com. I buttoned up my Yonaka FMIC and used the Silicone Reducing Elbow 90 Degree 2.5" to 2" and the 2.5" to 2.25", the leg length on these were perfect. Any of the other ones I found were too short to get around the radiator support.

Intake Hoses, IntakeTubing, and Intake Clamps - Intakehoses.com Silicone Reducing Elbow 90 Degree 2.5" to 2" ID Gloss Black

Intake Hoses, IntakeTubing, and Intake Clamps - Intakehoses.com Silicone 90 Degree Reducing Elbow 2.5" to 2.25" ID Gloss Black

Also get the t-clamps in the various sizes you'll need. I didn't need to bead any of the tubing and they are holding tight at 20lbs. of boost.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:45 AM   #127
Avid TSL User

@ White : Thanks..

I hope they ship internationally... I can't find these at local stores..
Old 06-14-2015, 01:06 AM   #128
SAABeginner

Torsten,
just saw the 99 - why on earth someone would swap in the b202 and convert it to run with the carburetor???
I think it's easier to leave the fuel injection, even if You have to use custom fuel pump outside the tank, which is the only drawback in the 99.
It's like - power and fuel economy when compared with carburetor
Old 06-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #129
Avid TSL User

When i bought the car, it ran on liquid propane gas. The carb was used as throttlebody only... Probably because the inletflange for the lpg fitted only on the carb..
For cars older than 25 years this was the cheapest way to drive. Tax regulations changed and now it's less expensive to run on petrol..
It was an interesting combination.. About 100 hp on the crank.

Currently it has lh 2.4.2 installed. Fuelpump is in the engine bay!
Ill post pictures ��
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bilstein, chillcast, commemorative edition, kokill, trionic c900

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in