IronJoe's Airflow Convertible Project Thread! - Page 16 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Performance Modifications for the Classic 900

Performance Modifications for the Classic 900 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Classic 900. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #301
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

It's not a tranny issue, lt looks to be a clutch issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG-GASM View Post
It's not a tranny issue, lt looks to be a clutch issue.
Fair point.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #303
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B202nut View Post
I didnt wanna sound like a snob or obtuse, but you took the words straight out of my esaphagus..

I just dont understand why???

But when you get a world of people edging you on (seeing as it wont be there pistons bursting a hole in the block and ending up in someones windshield, I guess reality gets away from you..

My motto is; Want a fast car, buy one!!!

I am doing a stage 1 tune on my T5 project and that will barely see 100 mph.. IF EVER....

"Bartender! Make that 2 please!"
Is your other screen name Trolhattan Bil?

Old 04-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #304
Elder

Or 'Fred' ('Derf'?)

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #305
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88 View Post
Is your other screen name Trolhattan Bil?
Nope, his posts are in plain english and he even has a build thread!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #306
Avid TSL User

The clutch explosion damage the primary casing?

I can't believe what you do with that stock'ish tranny. I cant remember have you treated the gearset or anything?

It goes to show it's about where the power is (up top end = way better) not so much HOW much (ppl lunch trannys with 220hp) but also how you use it (rough jerky, spinning wheels dumping clutch etc) that kills trannys.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #307
Elder

I bought a fast car to go fact in. I plan on keeping my C900 fairly close to stock, slightly modded, but not excessively, and that is exactly why.

That being said, I can appreciate all the work that has gone into this car to make it quite possibly the nicest C900 out there. So it broke, that obviously doesn't bother IronJoe, he continues to wow this forum and many others. Not sure why everyone is so upset about it. It's his car and his choice. Well done as far as I'm concerned!

As far as "speed kills", it doesn't, it's the sudden stop that gets you. Seriously though, speed is such a small factor in this. Driver skill, attention, and mechanical capability of the vehicle are what matters. I drive fast on a regular basis, also never been in a crash. It's the people who drive the speed limit but aren't capable drivers, or aren't paying attention to what they are doing that cause the safety hazards to everyone. It just rubs me the wrong way when people make the blanket statement that speed is the problem.

-Jason

1986 Saab 900 Turbo & 1992 Saab 9000 Turbo
Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #308
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
how long have i been telling you to put a 9000 flywheel on there, and use a larger clutch, with more grabbing area,

also, its nice to see your getting the hang of t5suite, im assuming youve done a map sensor upgrade?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #309
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
how long have i been telling you to put a 9000 flywheel on there, and use a larger clutch, with more grabbing area
I know, the problem is that I had just spent money on a Spec Stage 3 c900 clutch...

Do you know how much the Spec Stage 3 for the 2.3L 9000 costs? Let me tell you. $629.00 Wasn't super keen on spending that much on a clutch...

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.

Last edited by IronJoe; 04-02-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #310
TSLMember

Why a upgraded clutch? A stock 2.3L clutch holds your poweroutput fine. I drove with 380bhp and 550Nm on a stock 9000 2.0 turbo clutch for a year untill it exploded.

Hope the 2.3L clutch holds longer but i got myself a smaller but better turbo now. (gt28 hybrid)
Way more drivable here in this little country with its small and short streets.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #311
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie View Post
Why a upgraded clutch? A stock 2.3L clutch holds your poweroutput fine. I drove with 380bhp and 550Nm on a stock 9000 2.0 turbo clutch for a year untill it exploded.

Hope the 2.3L clutch holds longer but i got myself a smaller but better turbo now. (gt28 hybrid)
Way more drivable here in this little country with its small and short streets.
I don't have a grasp on my power output right now, as the last clutch gave out on the dyno. But according to my calculations I am in the 600-650CFM flow range which roughly translates to the 450ish bhp range. And my comparisons with other high-powered cars *seems* to agree with this.

I simply don't trust a stock clutch to hold over double the power it was intended to, 9000 or not. Spec Stage 3 for the 2.3L 9000 is rated for 549ft-lbs at the crank.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
Spec Stage 3 for the 2.3L 9000 is rated for 549ft-lbs at the crank.

Just kidding. Also, I love how you can get semi-flamed on a Saab forum for having quite possibly the baddest-ass c900 in existence.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #313
Elder

Quote:
I don't have a grasp on my power output right now.

With all due respect, neither does your clutch.

Is your clutch under any sort of warranty?

-Jason

1986 Saab 900 Turbo & 1992 Saab 9000 Turbo
Old 04-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #314

^ great point
Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #315
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuHuSPG View Post
I love how you can get semi-flamed on a Saab forum for having quite possibly the baddest-ass c900 in existence.
But that's the exact reason I made mention. I think he has a beautiful C900, arguably one of the best examples!

For instance I hate Carlsson Bumpers; but they look great on his car!!!

He has defied many obstacles in terms of the norm and run of the mill..

Just made an opinion caused I hate to see uneseccary Demise of a great car and a good example of a great Classic. A hatter ( as IJ refers to them ) would just sit back an hope he kills it...

I owned my first SAAB when I was 19 i drove to high school in a 1986 9000 Turbo (a burgandyish in color) .... I just love em.. I just knew I was hot shit and drove it like I was insane!!!

Not so much these days... I am in the mindset with "Tuner4Life"
When it comes to these cars in particular.

No disrespect to IJ.... And as he mentioned above, I know he must be a bit tired of buying parts..

Now let me hunt down my ECU that mike d hasn't received in the mail yet!!!!!!

Last edited by B202nut; 04-02-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #316
Avid TSL User

Quote:
I don't have a grasp on my power output right now, as the last clutch gave out on the dyno. But according to my calculations I am in the 600-650CFM flow range which roughly translates to the 450ish bhp range. And my comparisons with other high-powered cars *seems* to agree with this.

I simply don't trust a stock clutch to hold over double the power it was intended to, 9000 or not. Spec Stage 3 for the 2.3L 9000 is rated for 549ft-lbs at the crank.
Some draw backs, but you will never have to worry about slipping this clutch.
7 1/4" dual pack QuarterMaster. 600ft-lbs.
Scanwest had these specially made. They are noisy, on-off modulation, tough on the knee, expensive, but they grab like there is no tomorrow and spool up is super quick. The flywheel is something like 8 lbs and the clutch pack is small diameter making it spin like a top.
You will notice there are no coil springs on the center hub.

This is for a Subie but you get the idea.
Quarter Master® 7.25" 2004-2011 Subaru WRX STI 8-Leg Billet Clutch (Race Clutch)
It all depends on what you want to do with the car. My bet is on 385bhp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QuarterMaster1.jpg (41.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg QuarterMaster3.jpg (37.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg QuarterMaster4.jpg (29.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #317
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaab99t View Post
It all depends on what you want to do with the car. My bet is on 385bhp
What do you mean by 385bhp? For my car or yours?

My car made 335whp a few years ago on the old setup... Which is 395bhp (using 15% losses). It's definitely faster than it ever was before.

I'd like to see 400whp, then retire

Quote:
Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #318
Avid TSL User

Quote:
What do you mean by 385bhp? For my car or yours?

My car made 335whp a few years ago on the old setup... Which is 395bhp (using 15% losses). It's definitely faster than it ever was before.

I'd like to see 400whp, then retire
My estimate is based upon the 60lbs/hr injectors you have been rockin. What is your wide band telling you at 30 psi and 7k? It actually might be too slow to tell you accurate info at that speed. The intake valve is only open for a short time for the fuel to be pulled in. With the 60 lbs only so much fuel can be delivered.
400 whp is a nice number. Mine was 300 and called it a day.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #319
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
Because awesome?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #320
Elder

Small update: Pulled all of the arches to reattach them, as a few were coming loose after time/scraping. Once I pulled the rears I realized how much it was actually rubbing.

I was able to borrow a fender roller so my friend and I rolled the rears, it went fairly well once the lips were heated enough. I have some grinding to do but overall I came out with a good bit of clearance I think.

I should be able to dump the rears without too much scraping. The last bit will be to send my rear axle parts to Adam, if I can quit dragging my feet on this for once!

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
11 months zero progress, best on the net, didijizz?, doesn't look like a bmw, duh winning, go back to stanceworks, jay leno, no4doors!, peachfuz, t5 wannabe, vwfanboi, wait

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in