Quick question about 2.3 head - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Performance Modifications for the Classic 900

Performance Modifications for the Classic 900 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Classic 900. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 02:58 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quick question about 2.3 head

Basically i know everbody says 2.1 and 2.3 head from 9000 n/a or 900 n/a but at my dads shop there are two newer n/a 900's a 95 and a 98 with the 2.3n/a. Could I use this? is there anything else i could steal off of them? Theyre seeing the junkyard and anything i want is free, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 03:03 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
no those heads wont work,

you need like a 90-93 9000 2.3 head but then it only makes your motor a 2.1 not a 2.3.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-18-2009, 03:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgeebee88 View Post
no those heads wont work,

you need like a 90-93 9000 2.3 head but then it only makes your motor a 2.1 not a 2.3.
i wasnt aware it changed to a 2.1 i thought it just gave it better flow when ported and polished? eh, i figured for free it would be worth asking lol

Old 02-18-2009, 03:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineffingp View Post
i wasnt aware it changed to a 2.1 i thought it just gave it better flow when ported and polished? eh, i figured for free it would be worth asking lol
the stroke of the 9000 motor makes it a 2.3 not the head but the head helps a little but you can get the same head off a 91-93 900S 2.1ltr
Old 02-18-2009, 03:33 AM   #5

Yeah i must've misread what you wrote earlier lol, but the 2.3/2.1 head head is good to know, thanks a bunch for the insight I appreciate you walking me through it at 7:30
Old 02-18-2009, 03:50 AM   #6

hahaha no problem just board at work...
Old 02-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #7

yeah....know how that goes unfortunately
Old 02-18-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
c900 Grognard
Elder

Well, you can use it, but you have to modify the timing cover to make it fit. It will actually breathe better than the older one anyway. Search for Gorper's posts on the subject on saabcentral.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineffingp View Post
It doesn't change your motor to a 2.1L.

What it will do is lower your compression ratio. This will allow you to run higher boost without knocking, as long as your other engine parameters are taken care of.

Unfortunately there aren't any back-to-back dyno runs showing gains from the 2.1L head/intake combo, but the intake runners are larger in diameter as well as the ports.

When I did this mod two years ago I noticed that I was able to run higher boost before knock occurred.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Well, you can use it, but you have to modify the timing cover to make it fit. It will actually breathe better than the older one anyway. Search for Gorper's posts on the subject on saabcentral.
It's not just the timing cover unfortunately. The PS bracket, RH engine mount bracket, and intake manifold have to be reworked. This is why I have put that project on the back burner for now.

Quote:
Old 02-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
It doesn't change your motor to a 2.1L.

What it will do is lower your compression ratio. This will allow you to run higher boost without knocking, as long as your other engine parameters are taken care of.

Unfortunately there aren't any back-to-back dyno runs showing gains from the 2.1L head/intake combo, but the intake runners are larger in diameter as well as the ports.

When I did this mod two years ago I noticed that I was able to run higher boost before knock occurred.

Thats what i thought, and it sounds like it may be more complicated than the older one but still totally doable and for free i'm thinking if it can be done i should do it....is there anything different between the 95' or 98' 900 head because i have my choice
Old 02-20-2009, 05:11 AM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
It's not just the timing cover unfortunately. The PS bracket, RH engine mount bracket, and intake manifold have to be reworked. This is why I have put that project on the back burner for now.
The other way I've seen of doing this is actually removing the end of the old head and welding it to the new head, making the old timing cover and brackets functional. I saw it done on a T-7 viggen head for a C900, I think on saabcentral.

88 900 SiS 'vert (Dad's baby)
88 900 SPG SOLD
93 GMC Typhoon 492hp/521ft lb turbo a2a AWD
Old 02-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjorgensen52 View Post
The other way I've seen of doing this is actually removing the end of the old head and welding it to the new head, making the old timing cover and brackets functional. I saw it done on a T-7 viggen head for a C900, I think on saabcentral.
i think that would be the best way of doing it
Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #14
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I am dumb for not buying this, it was $150 with the T7 intake manifold.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #15
Elder

Idiot.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #16

Hey Dummy!

i have a couple of those heads hanging around out back.......hmmm
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #17
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Idiot.
Go ceramic coat your balls.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post

I thought mike D was going to buy that for his 9k a long time ago? he would not disclose the location for fear that someone else would pick it up.
JP

Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

The head was going to be for my SPG and he bought all of his suspension from the guy.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Go ceramic coat your balls.
Finally, you're back!

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in