Todays Megasquirt install on 86 900-S using Paul H's Plug & Play adapter - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Performance Modifications for the Classic 900

Performance Modifications for the Classic 900 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Classic 900. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Todays Megasquirt install on 86 900-S using Paul H's Plug & Play adapter

SO as a test today, I did a little megasquirt install. This is a very basic install, just fuel control no ignition control, no wideband. Ignition and wideband are pre-wired into the correct terminals on the DB37 and tagged for later use. This install was done with minimal work, I was done and driving around in about 15 minutes. For this basic install, the only components that need to be swapped / added are an intake air temp (only ground + 1 wire which is clearly labeled on Paul H's harness) and the Throttle body (which is a direct plug in to the original harness, no modifications needed). I also needed to add a map sensor vacuum hose which is plugged into the MS ECU itself. Best to use a dedicated line directly off of the intake manifold. This is the first install that I know of on a 900-S, I was a bit worried that the EZK ignition was going to have a shit fit, however it did not seem to have a problem with MS handling the fuel aside from a flshing CEL. a good fix there would be to pop the bulb out no 900-turbos will have this sort of issue, since the ignition system is totally autonomous of the fuel ECU.

SO here are the pictures! --
A good manifold fitting to use for the dedicated MAP sensor line

I installed it here. Some cars will have this exact same fitting, some have a 2 way.

You can run the new map line inside the car here--

Simply Un-plug or remove the AMM and replace this with a hollow unit, it's not needed-

This line should be un hooked and plugged. It's the one that runs to the charcoal canister. MS will not control the solenoid that runs it so it will create a slight vacuum leak and wacky idle if this is not done.

Air temp sensor. This goes into the pipe just pre throttle body. one wire goes to ground, one wire runs to the already attached and tagged wire coming off of Paul H's DB37 to LH2.2 adaptor in the car. 5 minute job. Be sure to use one for a turbo car, not a GM type, as those tend to fly apart under boost.

LH 2.4.2 Throttle body. Direct swap, no wiring change needed. You can get these at almost any junk yard for sub $50.

Stock LH ECU location. Coming out and going away!

MS going on, using the LH 2.2 to DB37 adapter specially made for easy MS instillation by Paul H

One of several extra wires already attached to the DB37 connector for the additional features such as the wideband 02 sensor.

Running on MS! Flashing CEL is just the n/a EZK ignition system being pissed off, it was not affecting driveability -

Checking the sensor readings, injector P/W, duty cycle, and other good stuff. O2 sensor readings 10. cause it was not attached.

Tuning time!

driving about

This is the only evidence that the car has anything but a stock ECU. This is a serial to USB adaptor that plugs into most modern laptops. Even an old $50 laptop is enough to run megatune with. Just needs to be about 100 MHZ, have windows 95 or better and have a serial or USB port

The car--

With this install, even on a 900-S! the car felt as though it gained a 3rd ball take off as well as top end power seemed to improve noticeably over the (probably malfunctioning) LH2.2 system. This is with a standard "900 turbo tune" that I re-scaled for these little injectors. interestingly enough, they still run nearly all the way up to 100% duty cycle!

I drove it around for 15 minutes or so, but this car was not up for much more than that... only due to the VERY poor condition of the transmission, as well as a failing master cyl. It was fun driving around a megasquirted 900-S, it goes pretty damn good when not choked by the stock LH system!, but the turbo motor is soon to go in, and it should be a lot more fun after that

Last edited by DeLorean; 10-30-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
thats a sweet lookin trunk!

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
You guys are killing me.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Tikka
Its awesome to see it all in action. I'm sure those adapters will sell like hotcakes.

no joke!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Which is fine. Because another guy got hit by a deer. Yes, a deer ran into a man.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #5

I'm jealous, an looking forward to the 2.4 harness.

great work.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Damn that is nice. Now about that third ball, you should really get that checked out.

^CLICK ME^
Old 10-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
Elder

Hooray for adapter!! I can't wait.

But wait... I thought you can't just slap on MS and expect it to run

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Hours of long frastration you must endure.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
But wait... I thought you can't just slap on MS and expect it to run
well this fired over first crank and ran! Needed some tweaking and the idle bumped up a pinch but it goes and even idles "right out of the box" as they say. To be fair, this MS is set up already to work with a stock saab harness due to the internal mod that the MS needs to work correctly with the saab fuel pump relays, but that's another one of those 15 minute jobs, and once it's done it's done. If you can mod an APC, this is easy. All it needs after that is the HR_10d2 code uploaded, then upload a workable MSQ as a base map then fire it up & head out there and tune. It really is that easy...
Old 10-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
very nice!

now come down here and get your parts!
Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
Delorean, you're too sexy for your ECU.
SUPER COOL!!! Can't wait for an LH2.4 harness

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 10-30-2007, 05:03 PM   #12
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
LH 2.4 harness.

Drool.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #13
Trollerator
Elder

very jellus

also I like that car alot.

best trunk on the net

can;t wait to see it with a turbo motor, Jeff!

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 10-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #14

wow, i can't beleive i haven't gotten around to doing MS myself yet.

looks great! good work!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
looks good!

I cant wait to employ your megasquirt abilities on my new toy, it will be nice to have a properly fast 900.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 10-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #16

Am I missing something here? This seems a lot simpler than it's been explained in the past. I mean, I understand from your post it's a barebones install but I always thought getting MS to work was a more complicated affair regardless.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
Am I missing something here? This seems a lot simpler than it's been explained in the past. I mean, I understand from your post it's a barebones install but I always thought getting MS to work was a more complicated affair regardless.
thats why the adapter that i made isnt free. that and Raul makes everything overcomplicated. no joke.

Paul

Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 PM   #18
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
Thats because he is not controling ignition and not reading from wideband. Plus "plug and play" is not true because you still have to wire the temperature sensor and if not 2.4lh rewire for two wire idle control valve. Get a lh2.4.2 tps. Not a %100 plug and play.

I rewired the whole deal because I will be controling more things in the future.

Anyway, guys LH2.2 or LH2.4 is big junk, you will make power gain just by going with Megasquirt.
Megasquirt is like a toy/puzzle you get all the componets in little parts and you put it together and they you wire it and then your Saab runs on it and you can control it via laptop and do what ever you want to do. It is a great feeling to be megasquirtin'!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
thats why the adapter that i made isnt free. that and Raul makes everything overcomplicated. no joke.

Paul
IMO well worth the price... as it is the one thing that's been holding me back (as well as many other c900 owners). Thanks a lot to both of you for all the effort.

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
i'm quite impressed. Paul, you have basically made a plug and play standalone for a c900. Very cool

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in