why mega squirt? - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Performance Modifications for the Classic 900

Performance Modifications for the Classic 900 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Classic 900. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #21
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
An "unsult" is a -1 insult, so you break even.

Anyway, expand more on the MS2.

I'm honestly interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007, 10:44 PM   #22
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
An "unsult" is a -1 insult, so you break even.

Anyway, expand more on the MS2.

I'm honestly interested.
I haven't insulted him so how can it be even?

MS2 is totaly new version of Megasquirt ECU, they included better processor, extra driver for ignition, ability to control coil individualy, driver for bosch idle valve, etc. You can read more about it on their website. Am in process of installing my Megasquirt 2 version 3, on my saab. It is too hot in arizona so I only work few hours a week on it.
Fact is that MS1 lacks support for ignition support and you can see the proof with the trouble that some members here are having with it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #23
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

That's good info.

Thanks.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:51 PM   #24

To be able to fully control ignition in C900 is big plus, lots of power is lost there. MS1 is good only for fuel control and I don't see a reason messing with stock EFI system if you can't control the ignition.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-21-2007, 07:18 AM   #25
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
crap is not what I'd call it. MS2 does have some more features and will work better in some respects, but I am not going to argue this. when you start off calling something "crap" you are going to get a similar type of response! MS1 may have trouble controlling the stock C-900 ignition the way I'm trying to get it to work- which may not even be the right way. I have not ruled out external interference to the system (and actually highly suspect I just have a bunch of incorrect grounds) There are several people who have managed to get MS1 working with the stock C-900 ignition system BTW...

Last edited by DeLorean; 07-21-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #26
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
yeah as of now there is actually a ton more support for MS1 based ignition than MS2, they arent bolt on solutions, most require mods to the board, but lots of people have had plenty of success. KeithG was running MS1 with a DI with no issues whatsoever, so im not sure how that makes it crap. it is true that MS2 is better in most ways, and its much easier to get ignition running on it since it does have the built in coil driver, but for most people MS1 is the better choice for now, give it a few months and there will be basically no reason to not run MS2.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:55 PM   #27
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

How long will MS2 be a viable solution? In other words I'm anxious to purchase the kit, build the controller and the harness, but won't install it on the car for 18-24 months. Will it be replaced by MS3 in a year or two or is MS3 five years away?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #28
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
How long will MS2 be a viable solution? In other words I'm anxious to purchase the kit, build the controller and the harness, but won't install it on the car for 18-24 months. Will it be replaced by MS3 in a year or two or is MS3 five years away?
its hard telling, i havent been keeping up with the latest news, but MS2 is just starting to gain popularity, and people are just starting to add software features. the hardware should last some time, but there might be more around the corner i dont know about. check out www.msefi.com, there should be some info there.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #29
Elder

and it's not like you can't keep using your old system IF something new does come out! I mean there are some crazy kooks out there still running Jetronic! this is a system they laid out in the 1970's...
Old 07-23-2007, 08:13 PM   #30
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
and it's not like you can't keep using your old system IF something new does come out! I mean there are some crazy kooks out there still running Jetronic! this is a system they laid out in the 1970's...
those crazy kooks......

jeez

Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #31
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
it may be possible to put an old 99 distributor on the 16v shaft, the distributors appear to be the same, and then you could just run it like it as a breaker system, and it would be very strait forward for MS. It would just have to interrupt the signal to the coil and fire it based on the spark map.

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 AM   #32
TSLMember

Send a message via MSN to saab-daniel
Can't understand why you are having trouble with controlling ignition with MS1. I've been running MS1 version 2.2 with megasquirt and spark code in high-res for around a year and a half with no problem what so ever!
I've set it up on a T16 aswell (mine is a T, using the standard ignition-module, coil and dizzy. Apart from the standard wiring with MS, all you have to do is re-wire 2 wires and add 1 resistor, and you're good to go...
Daniel.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:16 AM   #33
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab-daniel View Post
Can't understand why you are having trouble with controlling ignition with MS1. I've been running MS1 version 2.2 with megasquirt and spark code in high-res for around a year and a half with no problem what so ever!
I've set it up on a T16 aswell (mine is a T, using the standard ignition-module, coil and dizzy. Apart from the standard wiring with MS, all you have to do is re-wire 2 wires and add 1 resistor, and you're good to go...
Daniel.
yeah very odd, he actually went back to the stock setup and had the same issue! seems that the ignition ground was corroded enough that it was missing pretty badly, just showed up much worse with MS controlling things.

Paul

Old 07-31-2007, 06:21 AM   #34
Elder

yep, I could probably get it working now... the issues were amplified by the MS controlling the ignition, but it was as I suspected... a ground issue.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #35
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
Daniel, was your car the one with the distributor ripped apart and turned into a cam sensor?

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

Old 08-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #36
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
MS2 is totaly new version of Megasquirt ECU, they included better processor, extra driver for ignition, ability to control coil individualy, driver for bosch idle valve, etc.
Where does it say that MS2 can control a Bosch idle valve? It does stepper motor and Ford PWM valves, but I don't see Bosch -- has someone written the code for it yet? I do know that KeithG has written the code for MS1 Extra.

Quote:
Fact is that MS1 lacks support for ignition support.
That's not true: thousands of people are using MS Extra to control ignition.

Quote:
...the proof with the trouble that some members here are having with it.
Again, thousands of people are controlling ignition with MS Extra, many of whom are using the same, simple tach signal generated from a standard Bosch distributor.

---

Separate and aside from the above, and as previously mentioned by PaulH, MS will work with a MAF sensor. A primary MS contributor (whose MS forum handle is "whittlebeast") has done a bunch of installs with a MAF sensor. Here's a little video of a car with MS +MAF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXH4WWhqZ_s -- seems to work OK, eh?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #37
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorper View Post
Separate and aside from the above, and as previously mentioned by PaulH, MS will work with a MAF sensor. A primary MS contributor (whose MS forum handle is "whittlebeast") has done a bunch of installs with a MAF sensor. Here's a little video of a car with MS +MAF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXH4WWhqZ_s -- seems to work OK, eh?

haha that thing looks like fun.

and yeah, it can work with the MAF, but i would say that in our particular application, it would be pretty silly to keep the MAF, its just a flow restriction, and would provide little to no benefit in driveability or power. though i could be wrong, but it seems like T5 works just fine without a MAF. not to mention one of the benefits of going to MS is that you dont have to keep buying failure prone $400 MAFs!

oh and pay no attention to Raul, he is merely here for our entertainment.

Paul

Old 08-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #38

am not talking about MS extra(that is an add on). Am talking about MS1(basic). Get your facts straight gorper. Ford PWM valves is the same as the one on 89 and 90 Saab 900 turbo, so get your facts straight. You only made 6 posts here and you think you know Megasquirt.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #39
Elder

Quote:
am not talking about MS extra(that is an add on). Am talking about MS1(basic). Get your facts straight gorper. Ford PWM valves is the same as the one on 89 and 90 Saab 900 turbo, so get your facts straight. You only made 6 posts here and you think you know Megasquirt.

msextra isnt an "add on" as you say, its a different version of the MS1 code that has a bunch of "extra" features. the ford valve is the same as a bosch 2 wire idle valve used in 89-93 c900s? id be quite surprised about that, especially since you seemingly dont even know what years those valves come in. you only made 16 posts here and think you know megasquirt Raul?

Paul

Old 08-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #40
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Quote:
You only made 6 posts here and you think you know Megasquirt.

Raul, I love ya, but I will be the *first* to tell you that post count does not mean squat about how much you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in