Base boost increase? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Performance Modifications for the Classic 900

Performance Modifications for the Classic 900 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Classic 900. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Base boost increase?

Should I?

It's at 6psi now.

I have: Bigger injectors, FMIC, apc mod, and an intake.

What would happen if I turned it up to say, 10psi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
run away boost. once the rod is too short, the wastegate CAN'T open enough to vent enough exhaust gas to maintain "base boost". you may have 10 PSI at 3000 RPM's but by 4500, it will be more like 25 "base boost". The better the engine flows, the more wastegate opening you need at high RPM’s

with my base boost set properly (5.5 PSI), I have this happen on my car... only climbs up to 15 or so though, which is just slightly dangerous...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Hmm.

So what if I split the difference, and go to 8 PSI?

Still the same issues I assume?

Old 03-13-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
eeh give it a shot. I actually don't think you can even make the rod short enough to get that much base boost out of it, but prove me wrong. I don't really know what will happen, but my guess is that the boost starts getting away from you at high RPM's. be real careful when you are testing this, the boost may really start to kick around 4500-6000 with very little warning.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
you should be fine with 8psi, Deloreans car is just exaggerated since he has the header and all. base boost typically should be around half your max boost. basically as long as you dont get knock ever at your base boost you should be fine, because you have to keep in mind that thats as low as the APC is gonna be able to bring the boost if it sees trouble.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #6
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Well, the 1/2 of peak makes sense.

I hold 15-16 pretty good now, all the way up to the redline, so I'll try for 8. It went to 6 pretty easy.

I'll have to see what I can get out of it.

Thanks for the input guys!

Last edited by Palmer; 03-13-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:19 AM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I was told by Gary from swedish dynamics that you can run up to 10 psi base with no harm. so i did about an approx 8.5 and so far so good .
instead of shortining the wastegate rod. I put an additional spring but I was told to shorten the rod. also remeber G9 would used to sell a 9psi actuator.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
Base boost typically should be around half your max boost.
Paul
X2
Finally someone that agrees with me. I can't tell you how many customers of mine give me attitude about raising base boost. Some how they think that from 5-8 base is going to give them in the mid-twenty range.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:59 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to ohlins8990 Send a message via Yahoo to ohlins8990
I want to say mine is at 6.5 right now. Mine will hit the redline on the boost gauge by 3k rpm, continue going uptil it hits just above 1/2 way in the red, pop back to about 1/3 into the red, and then start coming back at around 4.5 to redline. At least thats how it works until the IC heat soaks and it goes down it to the yellow

I don't have as much done as you though. Just K&N drop in, APC mod, and 3 bar FPR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:34 AM   #10

Andrew , what upgrades have you done to the car?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:15 AM   #11

Just the K&N drop in, 3 bar, and 900aero apc mod. I have F pot turned all the way up and P up a tad. I havent hit fuel cut yet which kinda surprised me. Probably cause its too hot and humid in houston, don't know, but it does 70-100 pretty damn fast in 5th.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #12

for what you have i would keep it this way, unless you get a fuel chip and some 30lb injectors. then you can run more boost and get more power.
Your box is ok but from what i have tried and what i have read on the web from other users " Vince, saabator" he said he had both G9 box and SD box . He said that the SD box was more agressive. but i would say forget the apc box for now. just increase fuel and make sure your ignition is A+ and go from their.
if you do not get the results you want then you might need to invest in a SD apc BOX.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #13

i think my dad has 6 temp sparkplugs in there too instead of the stock 7's, the ignigtion timing could probably be tuned up a little, i dont no the last time it was looked at.

Also, teh car is still on the orginal tranny, and @ 270k, I dont think I want to do much more to it.

Last edited by ohlins8990; 03-14-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
270,000, that means you have 730,000 left?

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

Old 03-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #15

unfortunatly we werent the original owners.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #16
Elder

i was always told that shortening the wastegate rod (toomuch, as in shortest position) is like nuetering the APC and that i should just tweak the pots on the aPC.... idk though...

my 91 9k is running about 10-12 psi base boost, but its ONLY running base boost so i dont really see any issues... i was trying to install a MBC between the wastegate actuator and the pressure side of the turbo, but idk what happend i CANNOT get any more then 10 PSI.... course this car now has a T3 turbo with a T25 wastegate actuator that has been modified to clear teh balence shafts..
JP

Old 03-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #17

IDk, I'd be concerned if I had no way for the ECU to knock boost back.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
the engine is the last thing you need to worry about on these cars. as long as you have reasonable fueling and good hardware, which he does, I think you can get away with a fair amount of boost. these may be famous last words but I think you should be fine.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 03-14-2007, 06:30 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
well you have to keep in mind the way the APC works, let me try and explain this simply.

you have the APC solenoid, wich has the ability to basically "hide" boost from the wastegate actuator. base boost is what the wastegate will open at without the APC solenoid hiding boost. so when the APC sees trouble (knock) it opens up the solenoid, and "shows" the WG actuator the boost (usually lots more than base boost) and it swings the wastegate open. so basically you want to make sure that if theres knock, APC can pull the boost back to a reasonable level to stop it.

Paul

Old 03-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #20

you do not need the 6temp plugs, i was told that the 7es gaped @ .25 is the best way to go. i was also told that the 6 will need regaping almost with every oil change. you will need to worry about hotter plugs selection after the fuel issue is taken care of. then you might need a hotther spark to ignight all the extra air and fuel you will be pushing into the cylinders.
and also when timing set the timing to 15, that should allow for safer higher boost ans should give you better top end power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in