Mega Squirt - oh so very daunting... - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Performance Modifications for the Classic 900

Performance Modifications for the Classic 900 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Classic 900. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 08:01 AM   #41
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90SPG View Post
Nice...that doesnt sound to bad actually.

Could you post a kit for sale somewhere that has everything you need? I'd like to see what all goes together to make it.

i'll give it a shot.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...bled-p-28.html

unassembled megasquirt v2.2, defintely the cheapest way to go, especially if you can solder compitently. you could also get the assembled one too, either way you want to upgrade to at least the 3bar map sensor...im wishing i had gotten the 4bar at this point. (thats 4 bar absolute, so the 3 bar is "only" good to about 30psi on the gauge) theres also a couple little tweaks that are detailed on keiths site that need to be done for our application.

actually now that i look at the site, this is the way to go for the map sensor:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...ion-p-117.html

need a DB-37 connector, female, solder cup, like this one for $4

http://www.surplussales.com/Computer.../DBConn-4.html

one of these for use with the db37

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...ets-p-127.html

then for a c900 you'll need a throttle body from a 2.1l car, an air temp sensor from a 9000, and if you want to run DI a crank sensor from a 2.1l car.

that should about do it...dont think i missed anything important

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2006, 08:07 AM   #42
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
I want to try it too on my airflow se but keep thinking i should not mod this car just restore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:11 AM   #43
Elder

just call it a "resto-mod"

properly fueled c900's kick ass.

Paul

Old 12-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #44
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
Sweet, I was looking at that one last night and it was a whole lot cheaper than I thought so I was wondering if that was the right kit. Thats awesome its a lot cheaper than I was expecting, maybe this could happen in the spring time.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 12-15-2006, 06:09 PM   #45
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
So I was talking to my dad about this project for some electrical engineer advice and he had a question about the DI and I couldnt answer it myself. Which casette does MS use, T5 or T7, and will it suffer from the same reliability problems?
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 12-15-2006, 06:15 PM   #46
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
either ones, it does not matter. About the reliability... Keith G had been running a DI on his 91 SPG for about a year now, and it was a first generation recalled T-7 DI I sent him...It had already been used on a 99 9-5 for probably 6+ years. he had no issues till the other day when it crapped out on him, I think just after he did a power cycle or something... lucky he had an extra one in the trunk and it was back up and rolling. I think it's safe to say it will have similar problems because the coils are being used in a similar way and at the same voltage, but I would not be at all shocked if the MS system is a bit easier on DI's than Trionic is.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #47
Elder

yeah and obviously running it in wasted spark mode will fail it faster, no doubt about it. T7 DI's are apparently prefered according to keith, something about the fact that its AC spark and the t5 is DC...i dunno exactly all i know is i can get t7 di's for way cheap

Paul

Old 12-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #48
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
this thread should get stickied

300th post! w00t

Last edited by spgproject; 12-15-2006 at 07:45 PM. Reason: post #300
Old 12-15-2006, 07:10 PM   #49
Elder

yeah it really should, we have had other threads where i have mentioned this stuff, but i dont think it was all together in a semi-coherent fashion like this thread.

Paul

Old 12-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #50
Elder

you guys make me want to speed up and start looking further into megasquirting my 91 9kt.... just going to have to wait untill later when im not soo poor...
JP

Old 12-21-2006, 06:14 PM   #51
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
then for a c900 you'll need a throttle body from a 2.1l car
Why do you need a 2.1 throttle body to use MS?
Old 12-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #52
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Why do you need a 2.1 throttle body to use MS?

the TPS is different, the 2.1 one is a potentiometer type, gives a varied resistence depending on throttle position, the regular turbo ones are just on/off/part throttle switches, there is a hack you can do to use the original tps, but best bet is to just use the 2.1 one. and the tps doesnt fit on the 2.0 TB, so ya need the whole thing.

Paul

Old 01-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #53
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
Quote:
Originally Posted by amish_geek View Post
Depending on the setup, you'll also need a crankshaft sensor kit. It helps to know where in the revolution you want to squirt the go juice.
I disagree with this statement. LH injection isn't even sequential. You do not need crank position knowledge. It can be helpful, but all it tells you is what pair of cylinders is up. You need a camshaft sensor for true sequential injection, I believe.

Paul, that post about the DI wiring is one of the most important posts ever made to this forum. Thank you. It will help lots of people in the future.

I just spent some time on MSEFI, and I discovered the MAFdot concept. Basically you don't need to use a TPS, instead you can program MS to recognize a sudden open throttle when the MAP goes past a certain reading. TPS would be almost a requirement for a turbo car, however.

This is helpful to me because I don't want to worry about messing with the throttle body of a newer car. If you do put a TPS, you can get flood clear and EGO. I don't know what EGO means so I can probably live without it, and flood clear would be nice, but do I need it? No.

I have a serious question now. Will LH injectors open under CIS system pressure?

If so, this would allow us 8v'ers to leave our existing lines and pump intact. All that would be needed in addition to MS hardware is a custom made fuel rail, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, and manifold absolute pressure sensor... with the rail being the only custom part on the car. All other parts are very readily available.

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

Old 01-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #54
Elder

well the fuel pressure thing im not too sure of, since the pump doesnt really control the fuel pressure. the thing that determines that is the FPR, i would presume that as long as the CIS fuel pump could supply the proper volume of fuel it shouldnt be an issue, since the FPR would provide the proper fuel pressure. id say at the most you'd be looking at swapping out the fuel pump.

and as for the sequential injection, its quite overrated from what i hear, MS isnt even capable of doing it as far as i know, and like you said LH is batchfire. you only really need the cam sensor if you want to run the DI in sequential mode, wich probably would make it last a bit longer than just running it in wasted spark mode (just firing all 4 coils at once rather than one at a time)

Paul

Old 01-09-2007, 03:47 AM   #55
JK
Elder

Well, I need to find a way to make a custom fuel rail here....I have all the other stuff minus the MS and the fuel rail to make my 8v an EFI car!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #56
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
I'm working on a fuel rail for 8 valvers as we speak...I just picked up a spare set of mech injectors from a junkyard....the goal will be to get some plates to create an adapter for standard bosch injectors (set to the correct depth, and then the rail for fuel supply and return. The project is slowed by the fact that my 8valves are 200 miles away from me right now for fitting tests, but I'm hoping to make the first prototype in the next month.

I have been laying out a 8valve MS design for awhile...it's much more work than the LH cars...but completely doable.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #57
Elder

I just agreed to trade a 99 headlight bucket for a fuel rail thats already made!

Old 04-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #58
Flirting With TSL Addiction

The link for the moded trigger wheel does not work, can anybody post it if anybody has it? I need to know that because am building my Saab
Old 06-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #59
TSLMember

Send a message via MSN to saab-daniel
As for 8v and Megasquirt... Driveability guys, is really what you gain, along with a tuneability, you can make your engine do what you want it too, it's really cool
I've got mine running pretty good, awaiting a proper fuel-rail for it right now, should be here tomorrow or monday, will really make my day, the one I have in it at the present time is made out of hoses and chopped-up 16v fuel-rail
Not pretty, but works well! The ss-one in the post will do me good though
Daniel.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #60
Elder

Daniel, didn't you also use the distributor itself to make a trigger wheel out of?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in