Cut front lowering springs? :-/ - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9000

Performance Modifications for the 9000 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Saab 9000. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Cut front lowering springs? :-/

I'm about to lower my new-to-me 9000 Aero, and none of the lowering springs look low enough in the front to me. I like the slightly nose down look of course, and it took me importing some G&M springs from Sweden to get my 9-5 to look this way. Normally I would NEVER cut springs but it looks like some of you guys have had success with it.

Intrax, B&G both list a 40mm drop (I realize less for Aero) - H&R does too but I know it's less because I've had several sets of H&Rs. If only they made H&R super sports for SAABs

The G&M springs from Sweden, available thru Speedparts - list a 40mm drop for the rear, and 60mm drop for the front! I can order those direct from Sweden, see if Nick at Genuinesaab can get them since he's the U.S. rep - or get some B&G springs and cut them. Cheapest option is the Koni/B&G package right now because of the savings...

Cheers gentlemen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

let me know how that goes if you get them from nick as i would like a set of them too it you can get it to go through. any ideas on cost?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevierSaabOG93 View Post
let me know how that goes if you get them from nick as i would like a set of them too it you can get it to go through. any ideas on cost?
I def will. Nick is hard to pin down. I emailed him and spoke to his Mom Linda but haven't heard back yet. He's a busy man for sure. Cost is $250 USD on the speedparts site. Not too bad really! International shipping is gonna kill us...these springs are great though; I'm running them up front on my 9-5 Aero and I love em.

Cheers!

|

Old 03-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
SAAB Road Master

OK I talked to Nick thru proxy :-\ and genuinesaab has apparently ceased to do business with speedparts...Great. International shipping it is, unless I can figure something out. I've got one last play for this thing... Stay tuned..

Cheers!

|
Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Maybe some of you are wondering why go to all the trouble of getting the G&M springs? Exhibit A - springs installed on a 9000 Aero in Sweden:

Pretty close to perfect Stance IMO. Cheers.

|
Old 03-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
Definitely worth the trouble! That 9000 looks awesome.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
I think JK cut a coil off after he swapped his 9000 to a Manual...
Old 03-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
I think JK cut a coil off after he swapped his 9000 to a Manual...
Off of stock springs, i believe he wants to cut a aftermarket spring

That pic, makes me want to cut some off of my intrax, but nyc roads suck
Old 03-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area6 View Post
i believe he wants to cut a aftermarket spring
Indeed that's what I'm considering, however with the G&M springs hopefully I won't have to!

Cheers!

|
Old 03-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Palla2442
Thats like 1/4 or a 1/2 of a coil of intrax in the front

Old 03-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to DanF.
You plow with that?
1987 900T parts car
1987 900 SPG parts car
1991 900T sold
1997 9000 Aero sold
2004 9-5 Aero sold
Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroJ View Post
Maybe some of you are wondering why go to all the trouble of getting the G&M springs? Exhibit A - springs installed on a 9000 Aero in Sweden:

Pretty close to perfect Stance IMO. Cheers.
That is F*cking Sexy...
Old 03-26-2012, 04:25 AM   #13
Elder

Wow! That looks great! Wonder how harsh the ride gets when cutting already lowered springs?

I was considering loosing a coil on my stockers to try to keep some ride quality, but on lowering springs? How does it ride?

-Jason

1992 Saab 9000 Turbo - Cirrus White
1986 Saab 900 Turbo SPG Clone - Admiral Blue
1992 Saab 900 Base - Talladega Red
Old 03-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #14

Just going to throw my .02 in here...

A long time ago I had b&g lowering springs on my 9-5 and cut the coils to the point where the shock would bottom out and the spring didn't reach the strut mount wasn't even close.

The ride quality sucked balls. I mean my 9000 on coils rode nicer.

Anyway within oh say 15k my upper strut mounts were completely trashed my shocks destroyed, my endlinks were totally worn and my balljoints both needed replacement. I replaced everything put the stock springs back on and lesson learned. Maybe I took to many coils off? Idk it was a long time ago before i really knew what I was doing. Anyway if u cut the coils just be weary that's all I'm saying really.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
SAAB Road Master

OK ok I get it. No need to cut them now as I have a set of G&M springs on order

Cheers!

|
Old 03-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
SAAB Road Master

Photochop alert! I have NOT changed the stance at all. This is way this 9000 sits with G&M springs - which I have on the way now

What I did do is put the Klingons on it. I think it looks great personally...

Cheers

|
Old 03-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
Elder

That looks sharp. Shame they have 1 too many holes.

-Jason

1992 Saab 9000 Turbo - Cirrus White
1986 Saab 900 Turbo SPG Clone - Admiral Blue
1992 Saab 900 Base - Talladega Red
Old 03-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner4life View Post
That looks sharp. Shame they have 1 too many holes.
Indeed, but several guys in Sweden run the Klingons with 4 to 5 bolt adapters. I've already sourced a set

Cheers!

|
Old 04-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #19

Jeez I just got a chub over that car, gonna have to lower the CS I suppose, so AeroJ your doing these springs with Koni's then? Btw anyone on here know where to get vent visors like the one on this 9000? I like the keep my windows open a bit in the summer without people knowing.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanatic17 View Post
Jeez I just got a chub over that car, gonna have to lower the CS I suppose, so AeroJ your doing these springs with Koni's then? Btw anyone on here know where to get vent visors like the one on this 9000? I like the keep my windows open a bit in the summer without people knowing.
Yep with Konis. Which I'm still waiting on. It's been 4 weeks and counting. At least a couple more weeks before they arrive. :-\

Cheers!

|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in