9000 meets Porsche at the track - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9000

Performance Modifications for the 9000 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Saab 9000. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
JZW
Elder

9000 meets Porsche at the track

We got 3 Saabs out to High Plains yesterday and it was a blast, got in 5 sessions and my 9000 aero with e85 was very fast on the track, there was not a porsche or camero or volvo that could hang, I had a couple of fast cars, one SCCA 911 and Camero prepped race cars try to get by me in the straights and they would pull out to pass and the 9k would hold them off. Definetely surprised a bunch of people

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

good job i allways liked the 9000 just never fell into a deal on one. one day.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 saab 9-5 JZW STAGE 5
2001viggen 5 door
2000 saab 9-3 vert jzw stage 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sold parted out
1972 nova 396 BB

2008 LINCOLN MKX ELITE

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Hope I can make it down someday for a track session with you

The track looks great, It is really differnt than our Lewistown facility. The car looks like it is handeling great. Are you going to full race with it?
How many miles did you get on the track?
Nice work

Old 09-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
JZW
Elder

I had a ton of fun and there were not many cars on the track and the weather was great. I only put in about 70 laps, 2.5 miles a lap, so 175 miles of racing. The car is handling well, would like to put in two lighter front seats and then maybe the 7cm2 turbine housing with the 19t and try that while. The car is running well and I am starting to learn the track more now and near the end was pushing harder and harder. Will do some things to get it ready for some more lapping days, they run year round here and winter lapping days are cheaper, as long as the weather holds, you can run.

Would be great if you could come up for a lapping day and see how the cars would handle and I would be interested in what kind of laps times you could get our of your car,

John
Old 09-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

19T with 7CM2

I think the 19T with the 7CM2 would be a really good moderate upgrade for track stuff like we're doing. My car is so close to perfect that I really don't want any more power than I have, I would like to have just a little more breathing room and not be so close to the max all the time.
I think the older cams from the 1986 to 1988 9000 era helped somewhat too.
Everything in my car is pretty much stock Saab (ha ha) but really that is kind of satisfying. one doesn't have to throw a ton of money at the 9000 to really turn some heads.
My car has parts from a 1986 9000(cams), 1995 900 v-6(4.45 ring and Pinion),Seats from a late 80's Volkswagon jetta, wheels from a 88 ford Mustang 5.0, and an intercooler from a Isusu deisel Van, What a joke, but it all works well together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01868.jpg (105.5 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by MTAERO; 09-24-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
Elder

mtaero could you go into more detail about the cams?

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
JZW
Elder

The older b202 cams have more duration and lift, more aggressive cams, just like the guys with t7 cars using t5 cams, the cams get less aggressive because of emissions standards, the older ones can be better.

Here is list from abbott and if you scroll down, you can see all the cam specs from cars through the years,

Abbott Racing - Sports Camshafts

John
Old 09-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
The older b202 cams have more duration and lift, more aggressive cams, just like the guys with t7 cars using t5 cams, the cams get less aggressive because of emissions standards, the older ones can be better.

Here is list from abbott and if you scroll down, you can see all the cam specs from cars through the years,

Abbott Racing - Sports Camshafts

John
okay noob tube question time; if I wanted to use these cams do I need both the intake and exhaust? Will I see an improvement on a stg2 9k aero?

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 09-25-2011, 06:46 AM   #9
Elder

I'm just curious. It seems like your really muscling the steering, no PS? or is track steering that much harder?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
JZW
Elder

I am not muscling, just quick corrections to the steering, when you are on the edge, you are driving the car, the front end is slidind a little and you are modulating the throttle and keeping it right on the edge, but without falling off The only way to know what I am talking about is to experience it.

John
Old 09-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
JZW
Elder

Second Aero camera view

Here is Jonathan's view of the two laps on his Red Aero,

Two Saab 9000 Aeros at High Plains Raceway - Two Laps - YouTube
Old 09-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 132417SAAB View Post
okay noob tube question time; if I wanted to use these cams do I need both the intake and exhaust? Will I see an improvement on a stg2 9k aero?
If you mean the Abbott cams don't bother at stage 2 and keep your money for a good 3" DP instead

I fitted mine at stage 4 and noticed minimal gains, even after swapping the td04 with a GT28RS there wasn't that much extra tbh, but on this GT3076R they seem to work well, give a low (ish) spool up time similar to T5 cams but still want to keep going above 7k!

@JZW- what turbo do you have fitted to your 9k mate? Is it a GT30? Goes well!!

Stage 1 9-3 vert...alive....& too
slow
Old 09-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
JZW
Elder

Stock tdo4 Stg 4 E85 Tuning This is a good comparison as Jonathan is about the same hw with gasoline tune...

Mine says it makes 330bhp with E85,

John
Old 09-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Cool!! 330 brake at stage 4 thats bonkers!!!

I wouldn't mind trying the E85 stuff but I'm doing it the poor mans way with 8% standard thinners

Will report back here next week with my findings

slow
Old 09-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin dai View Post
If you mean the Abbott cams don't bother at stage 2 and keep your money for a good 3" DP instead

I fitted mine at stage 4 and noticed minimal gains, even after swapping the td04 with a GT28RS there wasn't that much extra tbh, but on this GT3076R they seem to work well, give a low (ish) spool up time similar to T5 cams but still want to keep going above 7k!

@JZW- what turbo do you have fitted to your 9k mate? Is it a GT30? Goes well!!
Im referring to the b202 cams; is that what your talking about?

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 09-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #16
Avid TSL User

Ah! Sorry, no mate the Abbott Stage 1 cams. I cant comment on the b202 cams but they seem to be getting the thumbs up from those who've fitted them. Certainly miles cheaper than going with Abbott/Maptun anyway!

slow
Old 09-26-2011, 04:39 AM   #17

It's awesome to see Saabs flying around the track...

That track looks like a lunar landscape, though...High desert...
Old 09-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #18
JZW
Elder

I too love to see a few Saabs on the track it surely turned some heads, had some corner workers come over and ask about the car and show surprise at the ability of the Saab 9000 on the road race course.

That is typical Colorado eastern terrain, its about 50 miles east of Denver and then 20 miles east of I-70.

Elevation is still way up there, somewhere around a mile high,

John
Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #19
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to 2legit2quit
wheres your camera mounted.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #20
JZW
Elder

Its a go pro with suction cup, hanging down from the sunroof glass,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in