Saab fastest at PCA track day, (long) - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9000

Performance Modifications for the 9000 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Saab 9000. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #21
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
I know there's a difference in track setup between a 9000 and a NG900, but have you driven an NG900 on a track? And if so, are there any adjustments that you'd immediately make? (Aside from the better ARB and shocks.. )

Any camber tweaks, etc?
I will touch this one briefly. I have talked to Gary about the ng900 and viggen and how they compare to the 9k and we both agree the 9k can be made into a pretty good road race car and the 9k only needs some little things, springs to get the cg lower, stiffer arb and a little weight reduction never hurts.

The ng900/93 have a long list of parts to try and take care of the issues with the suspenion and the steering rack on the firewall instead of the subframe and I have asked Gary more than once. The common answer from him seems to be the 9k is pretty good out of the box, but the ng900 needs a lot of work and even with all the braces and suspension work, its still not as good as the 9k in the corners.

I know abbott had the most success racing the 9k and it seemed to be their favorite.

Gary is a great driver and I have started to copy his format and now have similar things done to my 9k, only I am E85 with 4.45 gearing and 19T and I run both front and rear sas sway bars. Gary likes to run the rear only, that makes the rear positive, but I can say it is a blast to feel the back end come around and then feel the throttle pull it back in and keeping things in line by modulating the throttle. I do not scare easy and I am known for driving fast, but have to say my first ride around the track blew my mind and even scared me a little bit, I could not believe how hard a 9k can corner and how fast a 9k can be made to go around a twisty road race course. I was hooked and started down the line of modding my own 1995 aero to run at High Plains Raceway where it too surprised the BMWs and other high end cars at the track.

Great job Gary, keep it up,

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #22
Avid TSL User

I have a Viggen with the same engine setup as the Aero.
The 9000 is a better platform for tracking than the 900/9-3 format. I would love to get my viggen to track as well as the Aero but so far I haven't been able to get it to the same level.
I have all the sway bars, rescue kit, koni's, subframe, AP brakes, bushings, OZ racing 17 lb wheels with track tires and it is still seconds slower than the Aero per lap. It should be faster but just doesn't have the balance the Aero does.
I have all the above mentioned mods on the Viggen and still it is not as exciting to drive. However, It does look better in the parking lot.
I will post some suggestions for the viggen that I have found to help later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00042.JPG (339.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06632.jpg (165.4 KB, 29 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:15 AM   #23
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

narrow-tall-FWD-flexy body is never a good thing

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #24
Avid TSL User

A quick check of reported production specs shows the 9000's track is about 2-3" wider than a viggen, and the wheelbase is about 2.5" longer. I'm no expert, but that has to help. Whatever it is, I love reading Gary's occasional reports of beating up on Porsches. Well done.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #25
ERP
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ERP
Gary, when are you coming down to High Planes Raceway in Colorado? I would like to see what times your Aero would do at that track. And what does it weigh again, I know it is crazy light.
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #26
JZW
Elder

Yea, I tried to twist his arm a few times, I would love to get him to high plains to run some laps and see how he does on the track. What are your lap times Eric?

I am getting better now and may be able to make a lapping day soon, will be in touch,

John
Old 06-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #27
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

mmmmmmm.... lotus

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #28

Fun fun!

Gary - did you ever post up your complete list of handling improvements that you have settled on? If not, would be great if you could share that. Only twist is your car will be vastly lighter than my road car so balance will be very different.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #29
ERP

Send a message via AIM to ERP
John, I don't know my lap times. I need to bring a stop watch next time. I was not able to make it up last Sunday for the track day. I dyno'd my new smaller pulley supercharger tune and it was knocking a bit on the low end. I had to send my ECU out for a re-tune and missed the track day. Let me know when you are heading out there again. The car is running really well right now.
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
Old 06-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #30
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
mmmmmmm.... lotus
Some are Great.. some are not, like all cars, specific model is critical.
NO lotus has proven as quick let alone faster onna track as a Super 7, no if's and or buts. Only thing close is a KTM or 'some' Ariel Atoms.
Wife ran to runner up in nationals a few years back in our Super 7.
Always makes me laugh when one talks of Racing their Saab.
Love my Saab but as a genuine race car... spare me the drivel.
Naivete rules
Old 06-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #31
Avid TSL User

My Aero has been under 2500 lbs in some of its iterations, thats with makeshift 11 lb aluminum hood, front and rear Aluminum airdams replacings the stock bumpers, one racing seat only and things like windshield wiper motors removed. Here is a picture of it in that state, it was pretty ugly.
Some tricks for light weight autocross only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04404.JPG (79.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04412.JPG (80.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04435.JPG (95.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04421.JPG (76.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 0729071752c.jpg (270.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04419.JPG (105.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bare View Post
Some are Great.. some are not, like all cars, specific model is critical.
NO lotus has proven as quick let alone faster onna track as a Super 7, no if's and or buts. Only thing close is a KTM or 'some' Ariel Atoms.
Wife ran to runner up in nationals a few years back in our Super 7.
Love my Saab but as a genuine race car... spare me the drivel.
Naivete rules
With all due respect, your nationals are Canadian.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #33
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by bare View Post
Always makes me laugh when they actually do it, and make guys that say stuff like this eat crow
Old 06-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #34
JZW
Elder

Yea, people that say that have never been in a race prepped Saab or been witness to the 9k being the fastest car at the track and that includes the Porches and other high end cars, subarus and the like. Trollspeed had been kicking butt for many years and Abbott won the production car touring class championship 3 years in a row with the 9k, it was the most successful racing Saab in their racing career.

They do need some work, but can be made into a decent road race car as Gary Wolf has proven and so had Paul with Automototion where his 9k with gt3o has set the pole at many events.

Drag racing is not too bad with a ng900 and large turbo, low 11's can be had and even 10's if you get real serious,

John
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #35
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrox View Post
Always makes me laugh when they actually do it, and make guys that say stuff like this eat crow
Nonsense.
Just cuz you can manage it, Does NOT mean that it's good or God Forbid an Ideal choice.
Outrunning Porsches on a Track day is NO measure of anything... Most of those owners have trouble Parking their latest purchases.
Some lunatics manage close to 1000 Hp out of their Drag Civics, running up to 65 psi Boost. Massive accomplishment.. but other than them, Who actually cares?
Neighbors '53 Beetle with full leather interior. tunes and No Turbo runs 140mph 10 secs in the 1/4 mile. . No relevance but an interesting factoid
Anything can be 'quickened' ..given enough Coin, BFD.
Famous Jak Stoll ( the Nice Guy Tuner ) of Lore is currently rewinding Electric motors... the Saab tuning business was a financial disaster for him and his family. Writing on the wall has long since faded, Kids.
Saab is (yesterday) officially admitting a total lack of Money to meet payrolls Saab is history , sad but true.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:29 AM   #36

What's your point, Bare?

If you're saying that Saabs aren't ideal track machines, the ne plus ultra of road-ready sports cars, then you'll get no argument.

They also make for crappy off-road rescue vehicles and miserable tow trucks. They're pathetic at fording rivers and they can't fly. They weren't specifically designed for those tasks either.

My point is that Saabs also weren't designed to challenge Porsches on a road course, but when piloted by a skilled driver they can. Take two drivers of the same skill and the race-bred machine will likely be faster on the same course...but with an initial investment of $70,000 more for the nameplate.

Outrunning Porsches on a track day is actually a measure of something. It's skill and experience and persistence.

Sticking someone in an Ariel Atom or a Super 7 and telling them "go fast" takes less skill. It's just basic physics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in