Is there interest in a 3" SS cat back exahust? - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9000

Performance Modifications for the 9000 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Saab 9000. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #41
SAAB Road Master

I have all the parts in now. Here's a link to some photos:

http://www.aerodyte.net/ASSETS/PHOTO...rts/index.html

The tip was the one component that I worried about becuase it was very hard to find in the configuration that I wanted. When I took it out of the box I was really blown away how great it looked. I could not believe how perfectly it fit the hole in the rear Aero skirt. This is how it should have come out of the factory

Attached Images
File Type: jpg aerodyte_cat_back011.JPG (74.9 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg aerodyte_cat_back014.JPG (54.2 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg aerodyte_cat_back005.JPG (42.5 KB, 143 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #42
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Svenska94Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodyte View Post
I can sell you the mandrel bent tubes if you need them however, there is NO WAY you could do this setup cheaper than I can since I buy in bulk -20 mufflers and have a resale license. Right now, stainless steel is very cheap. So FOR ALL THE DIY GUYS THAT NEED THE MANDREL BENT PIECES EITHER IN MILD OR STAINLESS, YOU NEED TO LET ME KNOW THIS WEEK WHILE I"M STILL DOING THE RUN OTHERWISE I CAN"T MAKE THESE ONE OFF.

So far I have 7 of the Aerodyte Full Exahust systems spoken for. There are 3 left. If anyone is remotly thinking about getting one you should let me know this week.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!! In order to keep the cost as reasonable as possible, I have specd the material to be appropriate for it's use. For example, the Downpipe is made of mild steel. The catback tubes are stainless. The mid muffler is heavy gauge aluminized steel, the rear muffler is stainless, the 5 vband/clamp sets are stainless, and the tip is stainless.

IF YOU NEED A STAINLESS STEEL DOWNPIPE, YOU NEED TO LET ME KNOW THIS WEEK!!! THE COST WILL BE WHATEVER THE FABRICATOR CHARGES ME AND I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO GIVE YOU A QUOTE, SORRY.

Thanks Dave! I'll make a showpiece stainless DP for your 9K with wideband O2 bung.

I'll be posting more pictures later to answer the rest of the questions.
unfortunately at this point i don't really have any money whatsoever, but just out of curiosity how much would just the materials be so i could weld it myself, or how much would just the bends/pipes be so i would provide my own mufflers, cat, and flex pipe? Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #43
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenska94Aero View Post
unfortunately at this point i don't really have any money whatsoever, but just out of curiosity how much would just the materials be so i could weld it myself, or how much would just the bends/pipes be so i would provide my own mufflers, cat, and flex pipe? Thanks!
Thanks for asking. I'll have to work on this price when the smoke clears. I still need to finalize the price of the turbo back exhaust because I still need to factor in costs like polishing, shipping boxes, and the rest of the extra stuff added to the unit (mid muffler, v-bands etc...)

If I have more time I would like to also put a section on the website for the DIY guys. I can buy tubes, bends, etc for fabrication really cheap (cheaper than ebay). If you guys have something you need for fabrication, let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #44
SAAB Road Master

Going out for polishing

Will be doing a mild polish first before bending next week. Don't you love the trunk space in the 9K!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg aerodyte.net.jpg (93.3 KB, 139 views)

Old 11-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #45
Elder

Very cool, thanks for showing the research and development process! I think this type of thread should be a model for other product manufacturers (to a point, no need to share state secrets).

|
|
Old 11-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #46
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
very impressive R&D,

are you going to do a before/after dyno trip?

either way, the final product should look great, the downpipes are one the best ones ive seen roll around in a long time its good to see people really engineer a product like this
Old 11-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #47
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
very impressive R&D,

are you going to do a before/after dyno trip?

either way, the final product should look great, the downpipes are one the best ones ive seen roll around in a long time its good to see people really engineer a product like this
The SpinTech muffler design has been run on NASCAR and has shown to increase horsepower. I had SpinTech make the mufflers for turbo application so I expect at least 40 hp more....over my current JSP with the piched tailpipe

http://www.truckinweb.com/brandpages...all/index.html

Old 11-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #48
SAAB Road Master

Polished tubes ready for bending this week. These were hand polished for 8 hours. I'm glad it wasn't my hand

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AerodytePolishExhaustTubes.jpg (85.9 KB, 129 views)

Old 11-09-2009, 03:14 AM   #49
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
the web site you linked up claimed 40hp more on there v8 dodge tester over the stock pipes,,,

for a catback system thats massive!!! most others claim 10-15 tops,,, i wonder how that would compare vs a straight pipe setup, or glass-pack setup with the same tubing size..

however claiming 40 more hp, (at the same boost level) on a turbo 4cyl than another aftermarket system is very ambitious.. i have no doubt the quality is there, and im excited to see the level of R&D thats gone into this to make sure it is high quality. i also have no doubt this will produce more power than other 3in systems,, the downpipe alone puts you securely in that category, but to claim basically a 70hp jump over a stock system (most 3in systems claim 30hp, and your claiming 40 more than that) would mean that an otherwise stock 9k aero will see near 300 crank hp with just pipes.....
that is quite a large claim...

Last edited by mike d; 11-09-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #50
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
the web site you linked up claimed 40hp more on there v8 dodge tester over the stock pipes,,,

for a catback system thats massive!!! most others claim 10-15 tops,,, i wonder how that would compare vs a straight pipe setup, or glass-pack setup with the same tubing size..

however claiming 40 more hp, (at the same boost level) on a turbo 4cyl than another aftermarket system is very ambitious.. i have no doubt the quality is there, and im excited to see the level of R&D thats gone into this to make sure it is high quality. i also have no doubt this will produce more power than other 3in systems,, the downpipe alone puts you securely in that category, but to claim basically a 70hp jump over a stock system (most 3in systems claim 30hp, and your claiming 40 more than that) would mean that an otherwise stock 9k aero will see near 300 crank hp with just pipes.....
that is quite a large claim...
The similey face was ment to show that I was not being totally serious about that 40 hp I have no idea how much HP someone would gain with the catback. If I did a dyno run it would be meaningless because I don't have any "before" dyno runs. The only claim that has been made about any of my products was based on a UK customer's before and after dyno run, same dyno, same day. He started with a stage 4 tune on stock downpipe mated to 2.5" exhaust. The only thing he changed was adding my 3 bolt flange and the aerodyte modular downpipe elbow and he was able to gain 31 HP. To me this doesn't mean the downpipe = 31 hp. It says that with the OEM downpipe, his EGT's were causing a problem and the ECU was pulling back timing and boost. But with the free flowing downpipe and reduced EGT's he was able to achive stage 4 level boost and performance and then some.

So now to the Cat back. It would be nice if a customer had original dyno runs on stock exhaust and decided to do a dyno run with the full aerodyte turbo back exhaust. But again, I don't think the value of the product is in the minor HP increase over a stock tune, but in the potental it has to enable you to go to ANY stage level with lots of head room.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #51
SAAB Road Master

Today I preped the car to fit up the new Aerodyte exhaust. Here's the JSP I cut off. If anyone wants it, make me an offer

We finished the mandrel bends and here we are trimming the tubes prior to welding to the V-Bands.

Now I can see what the new oval tailpipe looks like on the car. It will be adjustable so you can make it stick out if you like or tuck it in for that stealth look. Actually it looks like a 911 turbo now

I should have pictures of the unit fited under the car this week. After I'm satisfied with the fit, we'll fab the rest. I'm about a week behind where I wanted to be but I don't want to make any mistakes at this point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JSP 3 Inch Exhaust Off.jpg (66.7 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg JSP 3 Exhaust.jpg (58.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg aerodyte_cat_back003.jpg (90.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg aerodyte_cat_back010.jpg (78.8 KB, 118 views)

Old 11-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #52

Yikes...I forgot about that old exhaust.

Freeing up that restriction has GOT to be worth some serious ponies.

Wasn't the DP also an abomination?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #53
Elder

I love the oval pipe sticking out of a 9k, nice work Barry
Old 11-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadenais View Post
I love the oval pipe sticking out of a 9k, nice work Barry
Ditto...it really does look like it should have come from the factory like that.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #55
SAAB Road Master

After you install the Aerodyte Exhaust, people will start mistaking your car for this

Tomorrow is a big day. I should have a picture of the unit fitted to the car! Hope it doesn't rain.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #56
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Fantastic.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #57
SAAB Road Master

Finally, here is the first version tack welded together. The rear muffler comes in at an angle to minimize the bend out the tail improving flow even further. We didn't have the muffler hangers made so I could not fit it to the car. However, I'm designing the hangers so that they will be very easy to install. Rather than a hook, I'm using an L bracket that slips through the side of the rubber hanger then is secured using a cotter pin. That's the Aerodyte way -Intelligence design

I'll have pictures of the unit up in the car next week. Unfortunately, the project has slipped a week but I don't want to rush the hanger placement so I appreciate all your patience.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg aerodyte_cat_back004.jpg (60.1 KB, 93 views)

Old 11-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #58
SAAB Road Master

Making progress. We fitted the exhaust up to figure out where the hangers should be. These aren't the final hangers but just to position it to make a jig. Then we'll make some nice hangers. Will be on holiday for the rest of the week but will resume on Monday. Shooting for 2nd week of Dec for shipping.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg aerodyte_cat_back60.jpg (66.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg aerodyte_cat_back61.jpg (78.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg aerodyte_cat_back62.jpg (74.4 KB, 72 views)

Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #59
SAAB Road Master

Ordering Status

As of today, all 10 Aerodyte 3" Exhaust systems have been either sold or reserved.

For those who have been contacting me for their order, please order the exhaust through the website. I am still planning on a 2nd week of December ship for those who have placed the order through the website and have paid.

I will be going on vacation after the second week of December so those who haven't paid will need to wait till next month. Also I will be closing the business in two weeks as I'm starting a new company and I need to have some time off from the Aerodyte.net business for a few months. I appreciate all your support and hope to come back with better products in the future.

Thanks,

Barry Abella

Old 12-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #60
SAAB Road Master

Announcement!!!

In thread #40, I asked for a count of how many wanted Stainless Steel Downpipes and not mild steel with their stainless cat back exhaust. Only 2 people responded (Daveship and TomH). Therefore, I only made 2 stainless steel downpipes. . I asked the group to order what they ORIGINALLY requested. For the most part, ALL of you now are asking for Stainless Steel Downpipes.

Unfortunatly I didn't emphasize the fact that you needed to tell me in advance. Therefore, I didn't make enough. I appologize for this. Therefore you have two options. If you would like to have your unit before christmas then you can re-order with the Mild Steel downpipe. If you REALLY want the Stainless Steel Downpipe, then you will need to wait till January when I can schedule a run of Stainless Steel downpipes.

Going forward, I will only be producing the Turbo back exhaust in Stainless Steel. Again, I appologize for the inconvience. Please email me if you have questions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
wife beater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in