9000 Aero project - 400+hp for cheap - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9000

Performance Modifications for the 9000 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Saab 9000. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #21
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Yes! That's the plan at least. I think Jen was interested in tagging along, which is probably the only way I'd be able to take the trip. She's only been to CO once, and the place that the convention is at looks like it will be worth the trip.
That would be cool, then we can play with high altitude tuning

Holset ng900 vs Holset 9000 at 8200'... Let the games begin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #22
JK
Elder

Grabbed a few photos last night in prep for the Showcase/Feature/Car-of-the-every-few-months thing...

I'll post just one for a preview

I have some more photos to take as well. I really miss driving this car from time to time. I realized that I do like the 9-3 or the BMW for day to day running to the store type driving though.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #23
Elder

what are you running for tire size on the supers? Nice pic
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #24
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to Max_Power
Amazing car, and excellent thread ... I wish I had your patience to do a 5 speed conversion.
By the way why you don't drive you car everyday JK?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #25
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadenais View Post
what are you running for tire size on the supers? Nice pic
225/50 they are probably as big as you can go with the stock offset. They are very close to touching the trailing arms in the rear. On different wheels/different offset and backspacing I know you can go wider.

I have a second set of wheels, they are 7' wide and require spacers in back anyway, so I will see about fitting a 245 in there. it will be tight, but I'd like to be able to make it happen. Those wheels are very ugly, so pretty much would only go on there for track or autocross duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
By the way why you don't drive you car everyday JK?
Fear of rust taking away something that I have a lot of time and blood into. There are a few spots of rust, one on a door, another just ahead of one of the rear tires popping out from under the fender trim, and one at a seam under the car in the rear. I need to go and fix them all, one by one and I don't want them to get any worse. Salt = Death

I have driven the car in past winters, but pretty much put a stop to that last year. I have a 325xi and a 9-3, both of which are easier to drive in the snow. The Aero has no ABS and it with the amount of power I have to shift around 2,000 rpm in the winter if I don't want the tires to break loose in front

Last edited by JK; 02-16-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #26
Elder

The china Intercooler you got - where from (ebay link?) and does it retain the a/c condenser? Cause you know it's not a race car with out A/C
for your repair needs
Old 02-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #27
Elder

JK I also have 225/50 on my supers (they seem a little tall). Good luck w/ the 245's, that would look nasty from the rear
Old 02-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #28
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42 View Post
The china Intercooler you got - where from (ebay link?) and does it retain the a/c condenser? Cause you know it's not a race car with out A/C
no A/C in mine, however if I was not in a rush I could have made it work with A/C. The main issue was a pressure switch or some sort of sensor on the condenser. Physically there was enough room for the core, just some end tank interference.

The core is 31" x 12" x 3" A little narrower might have worked better.

here's the thread I made after I bought the intercooler...
https://www.saablink.net/forum/showth...ht=intercooler
Old 02-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #29
Elder

That may hafta be my next performance upgrade - my a/c doesn't work anyways... and the compressor is removed too, perhaps I should take the hint and delete it and get a bigger IC...

Same one/seller?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...spagenameZWDVW
for your repair needs

Last edited by BurnsSide42; 02-16-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #30
Elder

pics of the turbo on the car yet? didnt you use a spacer to clear the balence shafts? nessesary information, i orderedsome 60 lb injectors last night

Old 03-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #31
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green9kAERO View Post
pics of the turbo on the car yet? didnt you use a spacer to clear the balence shafts? nessesary information, i orderedsome 60 lb injectors last night
No, I used the spacer so the compressor housing would clear the exhaust manifold!

The spacer sits between the turbine inlet and the exhast manifold outlet. Without it the compressor housing hits the manifold and does not allow the turbo to bolt up to it.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #32
Elder

thanks for the info. im getting parts together right now. hoping to have a unique 92

Old 03-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #33
Elder

info on the BPV if you dont mind me bumping your really cool thread for the 2nd time!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #34
JK
Elder

The car went under the wrench this weekend for an undetermined period of time for undetermined changes and slight upgrades.

There are a few things I have been unhappy with since tossing in the humongoturbo. Some of the issues I plan to address are the following, plus there may be other things I encounter "while I'm in there" ◄ I hate the amount of $$$ required to use the WIIT method

-Rewire the Walbro 255lph pump with the correct plug for the pump, replacing the spade (♠) connectors and "while I'm in there" upgrading the fuel hose I used for the retrofit and changing the small plastic T fitting to a larger brass fitting and reconfiguring it so the feed flows directly though rather than making a 90 turn.

-Replace water pump and renew all related O rings. I had been leaking from the water pump to block fitting for quite a while, one of those things I just never got around to taking care of

-Fabricate a fan bracket for the slim A/C fan that I am using right now for a primary cooling fan. Currently it is "installed" with one torx and some zip ties

-"Knife edge" the divider in the turbine housing inlet on the HX35W. I had cut the divider down to allow the wastegate to function properly and stop the massive boost creep I had when I first installed the turbo. "While I'm in there" I will clean up the turbo a bit more and finally measure the turbine and compressor wheels (no extra WIIT $$$ there!)

-Fabricate a custom front lower motor mount to replace the one that asploded/broke and leaked its nasty thick viscous goo all over my sub-frame. I found this "while I was in there" removing the leaky water pump. Yay.

-While I'm in there I want to reconfigure the charge pipe going from the compressor to the hot side of the intercooler. Right now the one in there was hacked together from left over bits and pieces of c900 and 9000 tubing I had laying around. I'd like something that looks cleaner.

-Since the turbo, water pump, and fan is out of the way and everything is out of the way I would like to clean up the rust on the front side of the motor and slap a coat of POR15 or satin black paint of some sort on there. I'll just brush it on, doesn't have to look good, just want something better than the rusty surface that is currently staring me int he face.

That's "it" for now, unless getting further into this presents me with more opportunities for great success, which I am sure will happen
Old 04-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #35
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green9kAERO View Post
info on the BPV if you dont mind me bumping your really cool thread for the 2nd time!
Forge FMDV001 atmospheric blow off valve

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...roduct=FMDV001
Old 04-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #36
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Did you relocate your battery? This is what I'm planning to do and would like to know if there are any hiccups to having it in the trunk. I've got an audio amp 0 or 2 awg wire, can't remember... which awg wire did you use?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #37
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by adshaft View Post
Did you relocate your battery? This is what I'm planning to do and would like to know if there are any hiccups to having it in the trunk. I've got an audio amp 0 or 2 awg wire, can't remember... which awg wire did you use?
Have not done it yet, more important things come up usually. We did obviously install the battery in the trunk of the '91 9000T Lemons race car, and I would go about it the same way.

I believe the kit was 2ga wire, run the power from the trunk to the lug on the starter that the normal under-hood cable would run to, then I believe there is a smaller wire that goes to a power block, I know I just reused something for that, as the only wire we bought was the big 2ga stuff.

For ground I think I just grounded the trans to the chassis and ditched the end of that cable that would normally go to the negative terminal on the battery, then you ground the battery to the chassis in the trunk with a 1-2' 2ga cable.

Its the same way you're relocate a battery in any car. No issues.

Make sure you use good gromets anytime the hot cable passes through any sort of metal opening like in the fire wall. Don't want any arcing going on!

I'll probably buy some 0ga cable that we have at work and do it to this car eventually, but this is very low on my list right now.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #38

Send a message via AIM to ohlins8990 Send a message via Yahoo to ohlins8990
Stupid question...

is there a function in t5suite for the black DI, or do the T5 cars not have a problem with the black DI. I always thought the early cars with knock sensors still were ok, but t5 was not.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #39
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlins8990 View Post
Stupid question...

is there a function in t5suite for the black DI, or do the T5 cars not have a problem with the black DI. I always thought the early cars with knock sensors still were ok, but t5 was not.
Nothing in T5 Suite for it. I think someone tested a T5 car with a black DI and used a Tech2 to check for knock, and the DI still sensed knock just fine. Plus certain people have been using these for years with out any long term damage of any sort.

I'm taking my chances.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #40

Just about the same the way I had planned to go about it. Thanks. My main concern was sending alt current the longer distance and if would have put a strain on the alt. Will give an update once it's done and has run for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
9000, aero, holset

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in