Initial Impressions - Holset HX35 content - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9000

Performance Modifications for the 9000 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Saab 9000. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #21
JK
Elder

Well...25psi (boost really starts to hit at around 4,000 rpms), and I held 10.5-11.0 A/F all the way to the redline.

HOLY SHIT, the car fucking takes off when you floor it. Certinaly something I do not need to do on a daily basis.

Now I just need to get the boost control figured out a bit more, and my guess is that I will probably need an external wastegate to get a good amount of control on the boost, I doubt its doing a good job as-is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #22
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
Awesome! Excited to see it in action!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:14 AM   #23
Avid TSL User

get an hks sequential bov thatll hold it back
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:24 AM   #24
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcannon413 View Post
get an hks sequential bov thatll hold it back
Hold what back?! I am not having any issues holding boost, although I might have to add a second BOV, since 25psi with the HX35 sounds like its going to blow that poor single Forge 001 valve to bits!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #25
Elder

haha as it should be!

i'm gonna try a synchronic BOV to go with the synchronic wastegate i've got, once I've got the wastegate on and i decide if i like it or not.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #26
JK
Elder

Alright, so I determined that I was getting big time boost overshoot on a account of major boost creepage.

I fixed up a t25 wastegate actuator to the turbo and set it really loose and I would still see 25 psi by redline in 3rd gear.

So, today I invested 2 hours and pulled the turbo and ported the wastgate to the max as well as modifying the turbo to better vent the gasses from the 2nd vane. Also, there was a pretty decent oil leak that I fixed at the same time (custom oil return never gasket was 1/2 assed so I could drive the car to work).

Anyway, I will report back tomorrow if this has helped with the high RPM boost creep that I was getting. Either way, in 3rd the car never saw any worse than 11.0 A/F at wide open throttle and 25psi. I have not had the balls to try the top end of 4th gear yet, but that will be more of a test since the thing should be flowing like a motherfucker by then. If I don't have enough casting removed to get the excess gasses through the wastegate I will certainly see it in 4th gear!

I am hoping to see 400whp and no parts on the floor by the time I get done tuning this thing. If I get 350whp and oil on the floor for my first attempt I will be more than happy. After all, I am only about $300 deep into this project right now
Old 08-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #27
JZW
Elder

25psi is kids stuff... Just put the hammer down and hold on! My low boost setting is 25 I run up to 28-30 psi, Nick was running 31 psi, Jak tried to blow his up and ran 38psi and did not blow it up and some guys, daveship run 33-36psi... 25psi is just getting started!

Good Luck,

John
Old 08-24-2008, 03:16 AM   #28
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
25psi is kids stuff... Just put the hammer down and hold on! My low boost setting is 25 I run up to 28-30 psi, Nick was running 31 psi, Jak tried to blow his up and ran 38psi and did not blow it up and some guys, daveship run 33-36psi... 25psi is just getting started!

Good Luck,

John
JK,
While you're at it test it out with diffeerent levels of boost since there is no sense to run more than it what brings benefits, besides the "glory" one may get by posting i run more boost than the rest of you
Old 08-24-2008, 08:01 AM   #29
JK
Elder

Don't worry Vigge, I'm not going to run boost for the sake of running it

That said, its going to be a slow and careful process to get the car up to where I want it.

I'm also not going to push it much past 25psi until I retune for a 3 bar map sensor. Letting the ECU run blind is not something I care to do.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #30
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
daveship run 33-36psi...
His car has been extremely reliable.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #31
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
i would have to agree with you. not quite sure why you denoted your sarcasm though.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #32
Elder

I was indicating to JZW that turning up the boost just to for the sake of turning up the boost doesn't seem wise. You have a well built car and have gone through multiple transmissions, etc.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #33
Avid TSL User

Quote:
You have a well built car and have gone through multiple transmissions, etc.
often a consequence of doubling the stock power output of a car. i hope the new quaiffe 6 speed gearset will be the answer.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #34
Elder

Old 08-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #35
Avid TSL User

i feel much better now.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #36
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveship View Post
often a consequence of doubling the stock power output of a car. i hope the new quaiffe 6 speed gearset will be the answer.
I still have my orig box (~120t miles) in mine
Old 08-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #37
JK
Elder

Quote:
Reliability and durability should not be considered one in the same. The fact that a certain car could break a transmission at any time if beating on it does not an unreliable car make (and by "beating on it" I mean flooring it on any car that has gobs more power than it should)

That's like calling a toyota corolla unreliable if it breaks from driving it off of ski jumps. They were not meant for ski jumps [or 400+++hp], so if you're going to use it for that then you assume some risks.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #38
Elder

thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #39
JZW
Elder

Quote:
I was indicating to JZW that turning up the boost just to for the sake of turning up the boost doesn't seem wise. You have a well built car and have gone through multiple transmissions, etc.

I am not saying turn it up to turn it up, a holset or gt3076 does not make full power in my experience until about 27-28psi. None of my trannies have gone south until I drag race them

There is no way a stock tranny is going to hold up to drag racing for very long under any power or boost settings. I knew that going it... Its a price you have to pay if you want to drag race a saab with a stock gear-box

I was just trying to ease his mind that 25psi is not really that much for a turbo of that size, even vigge that runs concervative boost runs up to 27-28psi on his runs... Watch the video and the holset is more efficient than the gt3071 or gt3076 I have....

As long as you have a wide-band and egt and maybe the canbus system, 25psi + is safe to run and can be run and will make a little more power. There is nothing wrong with running 25psi, I am just saying in my experience, 27-28psi yields the most power for my set-up... Past about 29psi, I do find as vigge suggested, no more power increase and maybe just a hair of torque.

Do as vigge suggested, bring it on up and test on the clock or dyno and see when no more boost helps to make more power... I am sure its more than 25psi, but probably not more than 29-30psi....

John
Old 08-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #40
Elder

I saw JK's Aero Friday night and I must say that it's extremely clean, and that turbo is friggin' huge!

I can't wait to see some numbers once you get the tuning worked out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
holset

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in