Custom Header idea?! Pictures - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9000

Performance Modifications for the 9000 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Saab 9000. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Custom Header idea?! Pictures

alright guys well ive been thinking about this project for the longest time, but I havedecided to get into RC rallying and drifting so i will not get that much money any time soon. I am here to tell all u 9000 owners my idea for lots of hp gains for less that $300. Since the flange for my aero is a t25, i found this mani. Its an s14 top mount manifold. After viewing the pics for a while, i noticed something. Look what it looks like after the header is turned upside down. Looks to me like an aftermarket header with the flange closer to Drivers side. That being said, the downpipe will have the slightest bend (custom fab). This, with a 3" cat, will make pretty big hp gains for the price.
Headers: $110 shipped
GS Flange: $65 + shipping
Custom 3" staright pipes/ bends: $100 shipped
Welding/Custom fab: Free (Automotives class w/ tig/mig and plasma)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
JK
Elder

Do it, I'd love to see how it turns out!

Make sure you have the turbo independently suspended, as I bet the manifold with crack if its hanging from it.

Also, I don't think you will get any "massive" hp gains from the manifold.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Looks like a design like that would clear the AC compressor if you wanted to keep it but then there is the following to consider.

1. The length of the runners are probably not ideal for a turbocharged car
2. The distance between the ports are probably all wrong for being able to have the Saab flange welded to it.
3. Runner diameter may be an issue as well.

Number's 2 and 3 in my mind are the biggest hurdle. However if all lines up well it would be interesting to see. I second JK's enthusiasm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 01-30-2008, 02:55 PM   #4

i was thinking the manifold, downpipe, and 3" straight pipe. I think that and a direct intake filter will get a bunch of hp for like $300 bucks. not bad huh?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #5

that is for a turbocharged s14 lol?
welding the flange onto the header will take cutting and welding to fit the pipes in the GS flange. I heard the s14 exhaust mani was pretty close to the Saab one so it would only have to take minor fabbing. I've seen it done by one person here. Any more comments?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9k aero View Post
that is for a turbocharged s14 lol?
welding the flange onto the header will take cutting and welding to fit the pipes in the GS flange. I heard the s14 exhaust mani was pretty close to the Saab one so it would only have to take minor fabbing. I've seen it done by one person here. Any more comments?

Go for it....

I posted a similar idea a few months back, but never followed through on it. This should work, especially if the welds are strong and you brace the turbo...

Please keep us posted!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Elder

make sure you build a bracket to brace the turbo to the head. my cousin had one of these manifolds on his 95 eclipse (dunno if same brand etc, but same price range and same general quality i'm sure), and it lasted about two months before the welds started to break.

keep in mind, you get what you pay for in most things....$110 is going to get you cheap steel and bad welds
Old 01-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Is it just me or is that rust on the welds that is beginning to form.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
Elder

looks more like heat discoloration that rust to me
Old 01-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
looks more like heat discoloration that rust to me
Yup your right. Some of them didn't look like discoloration and thats why I thought rust at first.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #11

Hey I guess great minds think alike. I just got one like this to mod for a top mount on my 9000 got a good deal cause the guy never finished all the welds. Some definite work required but we'll see if it works. Good luck on your project.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
s14?? is that the bww, or the nissan s14 motor?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #13

what? the manifold is for a Nissan S14/ 240 what ever you want to call it. some guys think It'll break because its a cheap price and some would liek to see me follow through on this project. Any other inputs? Thanks in advance
Old 01-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
most expensive headers that ive seen on cars with big turbos have bracing, its just a good idea, even the stock turbo is braced to the block and its small. I'd bet most of the failures of those manifolds has been from people just installing them improperly (i.e. not bracing them) definitely let us know how it works!

Paul

Old 01-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Good luck! Looks like a good project.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #16
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to Max_Power
If you go to clubroadster.net and search for "ebay headers", you'll find a lot of information about people that were greatly dissatisfied with the quality of these shinny headers.
Many times the quality is inconsistent and there people getting good parts while others are getting junk...

Give it a try, and let us know, everyone would love to have one of these under his hood!

Last edited by Max_Power; 01-31-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:03 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
i really want to see this idea work, if it does, i might be copying it very soon. however i would also do an oil filter relocation kit at the same time, this will give the DP one less obstacle

Last edited by mike d; 01-31-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #18

Yeah. Like I stated in the original post, I am not planning on doing this soon since I don't have enough money and decided to spend it on RC'ing. I posted it mainly to share my idea for people that would look to ty it.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #19

super old thread, but I may go forth with this in the near future. Something like this:

I wish the AC system wasn't so large. I would have flipped it to a top mount if it wasn't getting in the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in