FMIC opinions please - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9000

Performance Modifications for the 9000 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Saab 9000. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Chadwick
FMIC opinions please

Hello everyone,

I've been reading up on all the info around the site about installing a fmic on my 9000 Aero while retaining the AC. I've found this kit on ebay and wanted to get some opinions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INTER...QQcmdZViewItem

These guys agreed to do the whole kit, upgrade the piping to 2.75 inch, throw in (2) 3"-2.75" reducers, all for $180 shipped. The price to me is absolutely unbeatable.

Seems like from what I've read and heard that moving the condenser back will give you just enough room to fit a 3" in there

Any thoughts from the guys that have done this? I spoke with JK at SOC and was impressed by his setup *BTW JK, I figured out why my car felt slower than yours with the same SW... there was a 2 inch by about 3mm wide rip in the delivery pipe to throttle body boot... its a new monster now, but I think you've still got me =). * Anywho, any comment on the fitment would be great.

The car is a 94 9000 Aero 5spd, Stage 4, Td04 19T by Blouch Turbo (AWESOME and affordable people, whole upgrade with a turbine clip only ran about $300), JT 3 Inch, Genuine Saab strut tower brace, poly tranny mount, engine mounts, control arm bushings, droplink bushings, and rear control arm bushings, bilstein HD's.... and green giant injectors waiting to go in once this is done and the ECU gets reflashed again.

http://saabpics.com:3000/gallery2/v/Chadwick/94aero/

Thanks for the input, I don't post much here, but you guys seem awesome and really open to ideas which is good. I met a few of you at SOC this year, hopefully I will meet more of you next year.

Take care,
-Chad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2007, 04:46 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
That looks like a decent setup, especially for the price.

As far as fitting up front, I don't know what'd be necessary. When I installed the ets/g9 ic in my car back in April I had to remove some of the plastic on the radiator support so the ac condenser fan didn't rub on the fan shroud. Aside from that, the biggest issue I had was getting the piping/hoses all lined up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #3

Thanks for your input, it scares me to know that you had fitment issues with an IC that size and I'm going to try to wedge this big ass thing in there....

-Chad

Old 09-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
JK
Elder

Hey Chad, that intercooler and tubing looks like its probably made by the same place in China that I got my stuff from. I got my shit from CSX Racing - but having some insight into the import market from China I can tell you that its probably all coming from mostly the same manufacturing group out of Nothern China, and just distributed to various resalers who import full containers full of this stuff.

I should really try to use some of my contacts in China to fine out if they know where these things are being made, it might be kinda nice to have a some made in a size/configuration that would fit our cars a bit better...but I digress.

So, as far as that size goes, it looks like it roughly the same width and thickness as mine, but a bit shorter. I KNOW that a 3" intercooler can be fit with the AC in place, but it is going to be very tight and the AC fan will be a bit of an issue.

If I had a second drivable car at the time I installed mine I would have figured out a way to keep the AC, but I did not, so I did the easiest thing that I could think of to get the car back together - ditch the AC.

You might have to get a smaller fan to mount above the crash bar that the radiator/IC/ac condesor all sit behind, or figure out a way to shoe-horn things in place. There is definatly space around my IC that could accomodate the AC stuff, but again, the fan, and maybe the hoses for the AC stuff will probably need to be accomidated in some way that will require a bit of work, and plenty of thinking.

I am about 90% sure that you will also need to trim a few little bits of metal off of the bottom of the radiator support in order to get the IC-TB tubing in place. I know 100% sure that you will have to trim some plastic off of the undertray, which was very easy.

I wish I could have taken photos of exactly what I trimmed and bent, but my camera was not being happy that day, so I don't have any such photos.

I will also suggest that you get a total of 3 90-degree bends, I got 2 2.75" 90s and was able to slip them over the 3" in/outs of the IC,

but it might be good to get:

-1/ea 90* 2.75" in/out fot the bend to the TB,
-1/ea 90* 2.75"-3.00" for the cold side/outlet of the IC and then,
-1/ea 3.00"-2.00" 180* for the turbo outlet to the hot side of the IC.

I can try to take a photo of the hot side set-up on my car to show you why you'll want a 180* bend.

Last edited by JK; 09-11-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Saaboy Send a message via MSN to Saaboy
wow WHAT a deal!!! keep us posted. this is something i've pu$$yed away from this because I don't know what to do about AC... I'd like to see your setup...

Old 09-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #6

Hm...

I'm thinking I might go with a 2.5 inch IC core with 2.5 inch inlets and outlets now. It's looking like going a half inch thinner would really help free up some much cramped space. I wanted to do 2.75 piping, which I guess I still could, but I don't see a reason for it. If terry is pushing over 400hp with the stock piping, I think I would get by pretty well with 2.5 inch piping. With a 2.75 to 2.5 reducer I could take care of the throttle body inlet and with a 2.00 to 2.5 180 bend I would be able to take care of the turbo to hot side IC pipe. Thanks JK for that info, I remember you telling me you wished you had purchased 1 more bend for it all to work perfectly.

The AC is staying no matter what, and I'll make what compromises I have to, even if it is a few extra hp.... sadly.

-Chad
Old 09-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
Elder

pm sent

Old 09-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #8

well guys... i chickened out and got the 2.5" setup. I'll take a bunch of pics of the install and maybe do a writeup, I think that would be helpful to a lot of people looking for info on the subject. There's great info and support out there, I'll just have plenty of time to do the install and do a good summary of it. Also, the guy offered me an amazing deal if I buy 5 kits, so if this one installs easily enough I may start selling direct fit front mount kits for around $200ish if anyone in interested.

Take care and thanks for the input... opinions are still welcome!

-Chad
Old 09-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Sounds like fun!

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #10
JK
Elder

To be honest, I will do 2.5" if I do it again.

Be sure to do what I wasn't able to do - take lots of photos
Old 09-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Whats the biggest IC you can fit with a 2.5" core? JK... did you have any issues with width and height? I will be taking my car to a performance shop this weekend to chat with the fabricator about fitting a large FMIC.

Should the IC go infront of the condensor or behind?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #12
JK
Elder

Ideally I would have liked an IC that was 6" taller and 6" less wide.

I don't know what the overall dimensions of the IC were including the end tanks...it was pretty much the same width at the inlet/outlet, but the end tanks were a lot bigger than on the stock IC.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #13

This IC just seems much more compact and like it will fit with much less issues than the others. It's 28x7x2.5... which from the measurements I've taken just seems like the perfect size. I'm going to try and do a rough mockup inside before I tear the car apart and try to stick it on there, I probably wont get around to installing it for a few weeks because I'm so backed up with work, every single one of my clients cars broke at once.... Guy had a 9-5 mixer shaft break, 82 900 needs a fuel pump, alternator on a 2002 9-3, and a 9000 that needs two new drive shafts. Oh well, gotta pay for all this go fast shit somehow...

-Chad
Old 09-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I'll ask the question again, I may have missed it. You trying to fit the fit the IC in-front of the condensor or behind?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #15
Elder

why would one go for the 2.5 core version as opposed to the 3.0''?

Chadwick, check your pms?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #16

I'm trying to go out front, I guess the whole point of doing this was to try to get the IC direct airflow. The condenser gets super hot and it doesn't look like it flows through too well either.

The 2.5 core will fit easier I think, that's why I went with it opposed to the 3"

-Chad
Old 09-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaboy View Post
why would one go for the 2.5 core version as opposed to the 3.0''?
As Chad said, it will actually fit, and the fact that it is more than sufficient with that much surface area.

You don't need a HUGE intercooler like the one I have, there is no real need.

The only reason I went that big was because the width at the inlet/outlet was very similar to stock, but since the configuration of the in-out is different it ended up making a big headache for me to get the tubing to fit properly on my car, it's very tight on the driver's side - in fact the tubing rests on the subframe and front frame-horn.

6" narrower than whatever I got would be really, really ideal. Keep that in mind folks
Old 09-13-2007, 05:21 PM   #18

I'll post pics in a few weeks when this is done, I'll be sure to get good pictures of the clearances and whatnot.

-Chad
Old 09-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #19

Here are photos of the IC and very rough mock up of how things are going to go. The pipes will all probably need to be shortened, especially on the cold side. We'll see how it all goes in. The water pump puked so that's my immediate focus right now.

Also, shipping was excellent as was packing.

Anyway, pics here:
http://saabpics.com:3000/gallery2/v/...r/Engine/FMIC/

Someone tell me how to post pics here, it's different on every site.. lol

Take care,
-Chad

Last edited by Chadwick; 09-19-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #20
Elder

what happened to justins 91 9kt u had... did it get traded for this aero..
JP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in