The Saab Link Forums

The Saab Link Forums (https://www.saablink.net/forum/index.php)
-   Performance Modifications for the 9-5 (https://www.saablink.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   E85 in a stock 9-5 (https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20772)

z28hokie 08-09-2007 09:56 AM

E85 in a stock 9-5

Well, it's really hot today (98) and my car was low on gas. I'd always wanted to toy with a percentage of E85 to increase fuel octane and thought today would be a good "control" day.

So I did a baseline run in 3rd and 4th...needle would barely hit the red and then fall back slightly.

Filled with 5 gallons of E85 and then topped off with 93 (figured the new fuel would help mix it around the tank as well). By my calculations thats 30% Ethanol and a little over 96 octane.

I then drove around for awhile to use up any of the old fuel in the lines.

Then I went to the same strip of road a few more baseline runs in 3rd and 4th. What I noticed is the more runs I did the higher in the red the needle would go and the longer it would stay there.

I don't want to mess around with any higher concentrations at this time...but those are pretty decent results. What I'd be very interested to see is my exhaust temperatures with the standard 10% ethanol fuel and then with the 30% mix.

Saaboy 08-09-2007 12:20 PM

i thought e85 was corrosive to some rubber parts? Or is this bs?

Tweek's Turbos 08-09-2007 01:23 PM

Did know that the 85 in E85 stands for percentage mixed with fuel. So 85% ethanol, 15% gas.

So if you only add 5 gallons into say a 15 gallon tank. Only 33.3% is E85. And the remaining 66.6 is gassoline, but don't forget, another 15% of the original 85% is also gas.

But to answer your first question yes E85 is corrosive to some rubber parts. Hence the conversion kit Nick at GenuineSaab.com sells.

Raven18940 08-09-2007 01:24 PM

Ok, so it went more into the red, but did it go faster?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saaboy (Post 312432)
i thought e85 was corrosive to some rubber parts? Or is this bs?

On really old parts, most of the new parts are designed with it in mind.

PaulH 08-09-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos (Post 312454)
Did know that the 85 in E85 stands for percentage mixed with fuel. So 85% ethanol, 15% gas.

So if you only add 5 gallons into say a 15 gallon tank. Only 33.3% is E85. And the remaining 66.6 is gassoline, but don't forget, another 15% of the original 85% is also gas.

But to answer your first question yes E85 is corrosive to some rubber parts. Hence the conversion kit Nick at GenuineSaab.com sells.

not to mention that most regular gas nowadays is at least E10...just to add to the confusion.

as for the corrosiveness, any car made after the late 80's should be compatible with ethanol mixed fuels.

Paul

z28hokie 08-09-2007 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos (Post 312454)

Yes, but the normal 93 octane fuel is already 10% ethanol; so that's why 5 gallons to an 18.5 gallon tank yields around 30% ethanol total.

In a 30% concentration there shouldn't be any corrosion or acid formation issues; there is still 70% traditional fuel. That's why I *only* went to 30% and that's as far as I'll go. My friendly neighborhood metallurgical and powertrain engineers (and second opinions on each) told me 30% would be safe (the manual says up to 20% or 25% is ok, I forget which). With that in mind, I don't plan on going any higher.

There was definately a difference in acceleration.

noxben 08-17-2007 05:23 PM

E-85 is for all intensive purposes campatible with the 9-5. and as said before with any care produced after the late 80's or i believe also an obd II car or higher. they were manufactured with the use of ethanol in mind so they replaced parts once prone to corrosion with parts that were made to handle ethanol.
also, most of the time people confuse the extreme corrosiveness of METHANOL with ethanol. methanol being the corrosive one.
the only really struggle our cars have with ethanol is the fuel mapping. the trionic 7 isn't quite able to compensate enough, so it hic-ups a little bit. as far as i understand nick's conversion is a new ecu, larger injectors and if you like other performance parts. so there are no real changing of lines, gaskets etc. they are already suitable. with nick's ecu swap you will notice a nice jump though.
the mixture isn't as much about the percentage of ethanol as it is about the octane level. typically E-85 is a (industry standard) minumum of 105 octane.