9-5 LPT Tuning Kit - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

9-5 LPT Tuning Kit

Hey guys, long time no see, I've been out of the Saab game for a little while, but I might be getting back into it very soon:

My friend has a 2000 9-5 LPT wagon he wants me to buy.

This post is about something that comes with the car, a new in box tuning kit for 2000 LPT automatic cars. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a pic of it or write down the p/n so I'm having trouble researching it. But the box contains a computer, 4 spark plugs, and a little badge that says "2.3 turbo" that goes on the shroud around the dipstick in place of the stock "2.3t".

Have any of you 9-5 guys seen or heard of this kit, or maybe even installed one?
I'm wondering how much power it will add over the stock 170. Search didn't really turn anything up.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Never heard of it. We're going to need more details.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #3

I don't have the part number or anything, I was hoping somebody knew what I was talking about. If not maybe I can go get the part number for the kit.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT

Old 06-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

A pic of the kit would help. It MIGHT be something like a FPT ECU and colder plugs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #5

If my bike ride gets rained out after work I'll swing by his house and get some pics.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 06-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #6

Here's what I found:

Basically, what i found by searching the part number on the box is that it is a kit that brings the car up to 200hp. I also read that they were being sold at a Saab Owner Convention several years back for very cheap. When I told the current owner of the car about it he said a friend gave them to him after picking them up at SOC.

And a gratuitous pic of the car I'll hopefully own soon:

02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 06-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
Elder

thats sounds pretty cool and the info parts etc look legit. seems to me likes its exactly what Saabeh said.

FPT kit for the lpt
Old 06-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Its not a bolt in setup, it would have to be programmed with the car's immobilizer code and VIN.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Its not a bolt in setup, it would have to be programmed with the car's immobilizer code and VIN.
That wouldn't be an issue for me, I'm buying the car from a Saab tech with access to Tech II, etc.

Just waiting on my Mazda to sell now.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 06-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Just get a stage one tune lol.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Just get a stage one tune lol.
That definitely crossed my mind. But this kit comes included when I buy the car, and my friend will install it for me. And this car will strictly be a daily for me. The car has the wrong number of pedals for me to be too terribly interested in doing much with it.

I must say, though, I'm driving it today as a sort of extended test drive, and I'm real surprised at how nice it is (I always had c900's and 9000's, never a 9-5).
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 06-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #12
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I've said it before, 9-5's make outstanding daily drivers.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #13

It's quite the step up from my current daily, '02 Protege5. Truly a different class of car altogether.

Plus the wheels don't have to come off my bike to fit in the 9-5.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 06-13-2014, 04:53 AM   #14

This is a bona-fide score on several fronts.

Look around for some different wheels for that lovely lady, though. Those base-model shoes give me the terminal sads.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:50 AM   #15

I'd like to see it on the 17" 5 spoke Aeros or the double threes eventually. Anyone have pics of either setup on a 99-01 red wagon?

The stockers are in fantastic shape though, and I washed them last night and they really don't look too bad, so they'll do for now.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 06-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

In case it wasn't clear, the kit you have is like a factory stage one tune. I thought official numbers were like 15 hp or 185 output once installed.

The kits were cleared out at an SOC like 08 or 07??!?! I was there, don't remember. People snatched them up though cause they were like 15 bucks and came with a set of plugs and it made a great spare ecu for tuning.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #17

Whatever year SOC was in Detroit, that's where the guy I know got them from.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 06-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
nice find with the kit, if nothing else it is a spare ECU!

however alll that being said, aftermarket software would still yeild a pretty big gain compared to OEM upgrades. either way you will notice the extra 30hp
Old 06-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Kwrecker View Post
Whatever year SOC was in Detroit, that's where the guy I know got them from.
Yep, SOC '07. They sold like hot cakes, I bought one so I would have a spare ECU to put a Nordic tune on.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #20

UPDATE: I bought this car (officially) today. It was truly amazing how much easier it was to sell my Mazda compared to any Saab I've ever tried to get rid of.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in