Feedback after 10K miles BOV - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Feedback after 10K miles BOV

Long term on the BOV and MAF pressure side...

Results: Sounds bad ass
Conclusion: Perfectly safe
Maintenance: Clean MAF every 5K if using K&N

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Elder

I don't know how I feel about these test results
Old 05-19-2014, 03:00 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Explain?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 05-19-2014, 04:37 AM   #4
Elder

please explain what you mean by perfectly safe?

i understand that on a T7 car when you remove the re-circulation the computer gets all sorts of confused. what have you done to compensate for this so as not to jack things up if the conditions are such that the car decides to lean out or something else due to not reading what it was designed to read.

and were these 10k miles of light highway driving? city driving? boy racer nailing it at every stop light driving?

we need more info to agree with a "perfectly safe" conclusion as its been well documented that it isnt.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

it looks to me like you are still running a bypass .. ?

Last edited by bergie; 06-05-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking1975 View Post
Long term on the BOV and MAF pressure side...

Results: Sounds bad ass
Conclusion: Perfectly safe
Maintenance: Clean MAF every 5K if using K&N

so the MAF must be cleaned every 5k if the MAF is relocated?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #7

cking....

So...the major reason to move the MAF is to be able to run a BOV, which you're not doing. And running a relocated MAF just doubles the dirt hitting it because now you need to worry about the vapors from the PCV.

You just increased the fouling risk without getting the desired panty-drop sound...
Old 06-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
it looks to me like you are still running a bypass .. ?
HA! Good catch Bergie
Old 06-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Sorry but;

Results: Fail
Conclusion : Fail
Maintenence : None because Fail
Old 06-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
Elder

Subscribed... I can't wait to see real data(?).

How's the off throttle, transient response (manual trans right)? Get any overfueling, oil fouling and cylinder washdown? What oil change intervals are you planning? Any check engine codes? Any check engine analysis' disabled? How does the cruise control work? Still smog passable? Running a cat? I'll pay for an oil analysis if you don't mind pulling the sample and documenting the miles. How's the jerk control? How do the fuel trims look before and after the additional 5k mile maintenance? How do you know when it's time for cleaning, car starts stalling or something? How many miles are you targeting for a MAF to last?

Is this a race car or a daily driver that you want to have for awhile? For real, and just to be clear, no one is saying that it can't be made to work at a low level of refinement compared to stock. People are just interested in the daily driver, useability ,long term viability, maintenance, consequence of failure, increased eventual failures of running a setup like that.

And what's the main reason why you're running it? I know why the guys in Sweden do it....

You may want to consider researching FMEA/FMECA and consider the failure mode that this style of sensor is vulnerable and susceptible-to experiencing, and then consider that you've placed it into a much harsher environment that lines-up directly with increasing the severity across-the-board of those original modes of failure.

Good luck though! The underhood trim and attention to detail, connectors and stuff look really good; you did a nice job with it for sure. Be sure to followup and report how many miles you put on it as a daily drive before you change it back or sell the car, whatever. If you're serious about really testing it to support your initial post, send me a PM.

Oh, and out of curiosity, who did the calibration work for you and what injectors are you using? Did awesome Craig/g96nt "tune" your blow through setup or someone else? I've heard he's pretty awesome at "tuning", especially for awesome blowthrough setups. I know JZW didn't do any of the calibration on it (although he may have provided a file?), he can't even get big injectors to run right and not stall coming to a stop lol.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 06-05-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
Subscribed... I can't wait to see real data(?).

Oh, and out of curiosity, who did the calibration work for you and what injectors are you using? Did awesome Craig/g96nt "tune" your blow through setup or someone else? I've heard he's pretty awesome at "tuning", especially for awesome blowthrough setups. I know JZW didn't do any of the calibration on it (although he may have provided a file?), he can't even get big injectors to run right and not stall coming to a stop lol.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You just have to replace every part that involves fuel control and then some, then it will still run the same! LOL.

I too would like to see some factual data and evidence towards your test conclusion lol. This is wrong on so many levels...
Old 06-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93viggen View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You just have to replace every part that involves fuel control and then some, then it will still run the same! LOL.

I too would like to see some factual data and evidence towards your test conclusion lol. This is wrong on so many levels...
Yep that's right lol. Real men drive cars that stall when you push in the clutch (and/or go pig rich and dilute your oil). You didn't know that already?

I've heard Steve was able to help you out, that's good. And I do think a small re - angle, pointing as directly to the compressor inlet as possible and some extra distance on your setup should do the trick.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 06-06-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Yep that's right lol. Real men drive cars that stall when you push in the clutch (and/or go pig rich and dilute your oil). You didn't know that already?

I've heard Steve was able to help you out, that's good. And I do think a small re - angle, pointing as directly to the compressor inlet as possible and some extra distance on your setup should do the trick.
He was! As soon as we got logs and some factual data we nailed it! I put my labscope on it to verify the "spikes." Very odd waveform, for sure not normal.
Just finished welding the new intake setup. Maf sensor is about ten inches further away than it was before as well as the bypass valve fitting on the pipe is angled. It is all getting powdercoated right now and installed tonight . Oh and car pulls way harder on 20lbs of boost than when it was on 29-31... Good things are in store for "big turbo" guys. No longer need to move the MAF to the pressure side either like the guys in Sweden do LOL!

Anyways, sorry to hijack this thread lol...
Old 06-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #14
Elder

Yeah...sent you a PM lol. There are some mechanical things to keep in mind when you're relocating these MAF's in relation calibration values and their principle of operation.

When it comes down to it, understanding the underlying technical information is important, which is, well it's a shame, but that's why people who actually know stuff aren't sharing just 'the answers to the test' anymore, because things like making large injectors drive like a stock setup takes time and knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93viggen View Post
He was! As soon as we got logs and some factual data we nailed it! I put my labscope on it to verify the "spikes." Very odd waveform, for sure not normal.
Just finished welding the new intake setup. Maf sensor is about ten inches further away than it was before as well as the bypass valve fitting on the pipe is angled. It is all getting powdercoated right now and installed tonight . Oh and car pulls way harder on 20lbs of boost than when it was on 29-31... Good things are in store for "big turbo" guys. No longer need to move the MAF to the pressure side either like the guys in Sweden do LOL!

Anyways, sorry to hijack this thread lol...
Old 06-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Yeah...sent you a PM lol. There are some mechanical things to keep in mind when you're relocating these MAF's in relation calibration values and their principle of operation.

When it comes down to it, understanding the underlying technical information is important, which is, well it's a shame, but that's why people who actually know stuff aren't sharing just 'the answers to the test' anymore, because things like making large injectors drive like a stock setup takes time and knowledge.
And how many "tuners" actually calibrate MAF's? I have been racing for awhile and around a lot of high hp cars, around dynos and tuning sessions. I think maybe 2-3 of the 65 or so cars I have seen in person tuned had MAF calibrations and everything else done before getting into the session.... Kind of scary if you ask me.

Yes, you sure do. Drive-ability is key. I have a buddy who works for AEM and does a lot of their tuning. He told me that most of the tuning is drive-ability, partial throttle, etc tuning. WOT he said takes the least amount of time and knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in