9-5 Monster coming to life - Page 18 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #341
Avid TSL User

I, too, have a nice collection of old transmissions and bell housings awaiting new life. At first, I was thinking adaptor plate, but with all the other stuff that would have to be fabricated, I'm thinking this route might be a little less painful.

If I can't get the recipe from Mr. Gazer, I will most likely head to Goldwing and get as much of the 9-3SS drivetrain as possible and start taking measurements to try to come up with the simplest solution....if there is one.

Keep you posted,
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 04:29 AM   #342
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
i think i remember Paul from Automotion saying that he took F40 internals and put them in a 9k transmission before on that race car they have.... i dont exactly know how that translates to a 9-5. but i like the idea of welding the 9-5 bell housing on the F40 trans. what would you do about the shift linkage? there almost completely different..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #343
Avid TSL User

Unfortunately the F40 internals will not work in the 9000 or 9-5 box. Something custom as shown in the picture or an adaptor plate is what is needed to mate the F40 to a B23xx block.
Shifter linkage will be changed to the cables on the F40...easier to shift under load. The shifter in the cabin must be modified to accept the cables of the F40...not quite sure what is entailed but eager to find out.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #344
JK
Elder

Yeah, certainly no way of installing the F40 internals in a different case...there are two output shafts in there, a very different configuration than the more conventional 5 speeds that were in the 9k, ng900/og9-3, and 9-5.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:47 AM   #345
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
ya i did know how much truth was behind what he told me about the f40 in the 9k box but i thought id throw it out there...
Old 08-13-2009, 05:40 AM   #346
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Welding to the case might be ok if it was like the old v8 stuff where the bellhouisng is not part of the gear supports. But anytime you weld anything it will distort. A little here is a big problem the other would be keeping it aligned while welding. Shifter could be fabricated might take custom cables. (To get rid of rubber end of the longitudinal from stock at least) You also know that the spare parts are not available for the f40, so if you tear up a syncro the options are to swap the 1 and 2 or get a new box. If I ever get the time I am swapping the f40 in my Aero for a F35 with diff. Lots quieter, the f40 is so noisy.

Why not fit one of the quaife 6speeds. With the two added bearings per shaft it should help keep the straight and fully engaged.

What is the nature of the failure you have? Gear fatigue or basic overload?

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 08-13-2009, 06:04 AM   #347
Avid TSL User

I was thinking of going the quaife route but, to be honest, haven't heard anything positive or negative (other than maptun website) on the gearset. It does seem like the simpler solution. Quaife rep said gearset good for 350-400hp..not sure why he didn't quote torque numbers.

I usually don't mind being a guinea pig but the cost of the gearset has me frightened...one false move and its over....back to the drawing board.

A few high horsepowered saabs running F40 in Sweden....supposedly bulletproof...has to be stronger than the F35.

Dave

Old 08-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #348
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Dave have you investigated the failures the you have had? Working back from those will help figure out the needs moving forward. For me it was wheel hop allowing nasty tq spikes just completely fracturing teeth. Not a fatigue problem but rather one time overload. I did have some fatigue problems on the crush sleeve and case.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #349
Avid TSL User

there have been a few broken trannys in finland this year also. It seems that peeling off the teeth from 3rd gear is the most common cause. All that have broken have had a LSD installed. Which seems logical, more torque to the road, more torque on the gears.

there are few possible options to reinforce the box that have been talked about here:

1. '94-98 9k & ng900 have a 3rd gearset with larger teeth, might well stand more torque
2. The bearing on the ends of the axis is a cylinder bearing which means that with small amounts of give it will allow the axle to move thus moving the gears from each other lowering the contact surface area, one might try to switch this to a ball bearing instead.
3. The gears have been made to max surface hardness to stand wear. What we are looking here is more of a resilient than hard mix. So letting the surface toughness down by heating the gears might help. to something like under 60HRC might be the target.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #350
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
ive heard good things about teh f40 trans,, i believe Gm rates it for 400 ft/lbs and it is a cheaper option than the quafe 6speed gearset

but then again, your still making more than 400ft/lbs so the box could very easly still break on you,, it could just take longer........

What i would do is investigate the price of the F40, compared to the price of an F35, if they are smiler convert your car to work with an F40,, as said early there is no way they can be any worse than the ones your blowing up

Optoin 2 is that you can just start running really shitty tires, that will convert all that power to wheel spin alot sooner and keep the trannys intack

Also may be worth looking into Cryo treating, check out Nitrofreeze.com they claim a 400% streaght increase via there 150$ process

Even if its only a 20% increase, thats worth a 150$ trial, they have a big saabnut working for them too and are local too Mass

we used them for our FSAE cars, we were able to drastically undersize our control arm thickness (saving weight) and maintain strength via this process,, it could be very usefull to you

best of luck
Mike d

Last edited by mike d; 08-14-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #351
SAABeginner

Awesome build!

Old 08-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #352
Elder

bump

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #353
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
I'm pretty sure mr dave was banned awhile ago

Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #354
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreboost View Post
I'm pretty sure mr dave was banned awhile ago

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #355
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by 132417SAAB View Post
Went over my head sorry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in