coilover options... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
coilover options...

So, I've been saying for months that I'm going to replace my eibach pro dampers and B&G springs with coilovers, but I was hesitant based on the quality of products in my price range. Turns out, I have a buddy at a shop in FL that did a little leg-work for me and I've got a set of BC coilovers for a Vectra wagon on the way here. (we're expecting about a month, since they're coming from Germany)

I'm excited to get them, and install them, and review them for y'all.

The good news is that they're TUV approved, and with BC, I can change the springs easily, if they're over/under sprung.

If this goes well, I'll see about getting more here to offer to y'all.
The price for me is a hell of a deal, but I'd imagine they'd be considerably less than H&R.

Anyone that's installed Vectra suspension have any insight to offer?
Should I expect that the pillowball mount won't fit? anything else?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

The ones that a few of us have installed are the FK vectra b and the rears bolt up fine but the fronts are a massacre. The fronts have an issue with making a lot of sounds, the stud on the strut that bolts into the strut mount is smaller then the OE size. It has room to move around and rub in the strut mount so that's the current issue. Also the spring hats ( spring seats ) do not fit together with the thrust bearing and that means metal on metal, for a perfect fitment you need to modify or make custom spring seats that work on the OD of the coil and fit into the strut mount with the thrust bearing. Do you have a pic of the ones you got?

Last edited by Saab95Aero; 03-21-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
This is much different info from what I found in my searches.
It sounded like minimal changes to make the fronts work.

these are the coilovers:
BR Series Coilover : Type RN - Vauxhall & Opel Vectra B 96-01 - Vauxhall Coilovers - Applications | BC Racing Coilovers

Old 03-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

They bolt up perfectly yes but they also do not fit correctly and that makes them sounds horrible. From the pic you posted those will not work at all in the rear, fronts look way different also. You probably saw my thread on saabcentral i bet. A lot of companies don't post the correct picture on their site just hope they don't look like the ones in the pic.

the rear goes in with no work needed like i said...

fronts go in no problem but they sound like crap because of the issue i mentioned and bounce because the spring rate is to light

OE spring seat vs fk spring seat no way to fit them, see the huge hole from the FK seats vs the hole of the top mount? the stud on the fk coilover is way smaller and it knocks around in the mount even when it bolted together..

The gap i was referring to the reason they knock and clunk over un even road..

and the result ahaha ( had to raise it was un drivable )

These are the ones i orderd

Just for the record my front ones are sitting under my bed until i'm confident i solved the problem.

Last edited by Saab95Aero; 03-21-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
SAABeginner

Craig, since you said you had already ordered them.. any update?

also, Saab95Aero what MY is yours btw? I always wanted to ask but always forgot ^^
Old 04-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Have you considered using a steel spacer/bushing to take up the difference in diameter?
Old 04-17-2014, 04:08 AM   #7
Elder

I just skipped trying to save the few bucks, and went with Saab-specific.
It would have been nice to get some rebuildable(sp) KWs, but it would have meant altering a perfect set of coilovers.

I ended up with Yellow-DPS
They have 3 part #'s for the 24, 28, and 30mm knuckles, and got pretty good reviews from what I found online.
(lots of speculation about the Yellow owner being an ex D2 employee that stole coilovers, and improved them to sell as his own.)
They are being shipped from somewhere via bike messenger, so they're expecting to be here at the VERY end of April. (I ordered April 6th)

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

This weekend will be trailing arm bushings and next weekend will be rear rotors.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by renizer View Post
Craig, since you said you had already ordered them.. any update?

also, Saab95Aero what MY is yours btw? I always wanted to ask but always forgot ^^
First gen 9-5, i got a set of used Bilstein HD front struts with eibach springs and im extremely happy with them and the height they sit at so im currently leaving them installed. One day i might finish the coil overs but not for a while, you can't go wrong with Bilstein struts and eibach springs.

Last edited by Saab95Aero; 05-02-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

has anyone run these ??

Neo Brothers - Saab 9-5 Maptun Performance Coilover Suspension Kit - YT-SA03
Old 09-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
Elder

So, ive had them installed for a while now;
They're pretty good quality, fit right out of the box, and the fronts were a bolt-on affair with height and stiffness easy yo key-in. With the 235/40/18, I've found that no matter how low, the inner lip had to be flattened. Once I did that, they hardly rub. I have them so they sit about 1cm above the tires when they're full-lock.

The rears... leave something to be desired. Cranking them to the lowest setting is barely lower than b&g springs, and pre-tensions the springs so much it's unbearable. I had to pull 2 of the 3 adjustment rings it was much better, but still not that low. Someone mentioned cutting some of the collar down, but I'm not super keen on that.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
Elder

I should mention that the company's suggestion for shock settings for daily use are pretty good. They're a little stiff on the highway, but otherwise are very comfortable. (Once you pull those rear perches
Old 09-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #12

Craig are yours the maptun's ? or are they all the same.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
Elder

I got the yellow-DPS
They're on amazon. Don't think they're on ebay.
I'd imagine that quality is the same between the taiwanese brands. Maptun are probably similar, though. They have a much shorter range listed on their site.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Bergie you gonna run coil overs? Thought you were gonna get back into a wagon?
Old 09-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #15
Elder

The way I looked at it... coilovers were $950, and bilsteins were 750-800. Once I sold my springs, the coilovers cost me 50, and I have control over height and damping. I can go low and slow now, and raise it to stock when mini me comes.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #16
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

So the ride is comparable to aftermarket springs/shocks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #17

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing craig. Coilovers are the better option IMO. Something to think about.

No new wagon in the near future Carl. I always keep my eye open for them though and the right deal.

I am in need of a true sports car in the near future.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:45 AM   #18
Elder

I think so. I've got the fronts set on whatever Yellow recommended. It was either 6 or 8 of 33. if anything, it's a little too soft. the rears, I did 2 clicks harder than recommended. so it's either 8 or 10. It is a little stiff, but not as bad as Sports.

When I had the rings still in, it was unbearable unless the car had a full tank of gas. Kristen couldn't stand riding in it. Now, she doesn't mind it at all... even 6-months pregnant.

To be honest, I think these coilovers are move comfortable than the old B&G/Bilstein Sports in the 9-3, and are WAY more sure-footed than the B&G/Eibach I had on it before. Those were pretty good around town, but were super stiff on the highway. The only issue I have now, is bridge joints, but that's ANY lowered car.

Jon had bought the H&R coilovers, and I haven't ridden on them, but he's also redone all the bushings, and I haven't even aligned mine since lowering it. (and have a couple bushings to replace)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #19
Flirting With TSL Addiction

So I was thinking about coil overs and all that mess. Reading up on these DIY stories and I immediately thought of a Hoonigans episode I watch about these guys.
Wholesale Performance Engine Parts - Maxpeedingrods

I though it was pretty comical. Seems they are making really cheep kits. Maye you can do something with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in