Drop in Garrett turbo? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Drop in Garrett turbo?

It looks like I値l be getting back into a 9-5 as I am picking up a 2000 Aero MT tonight. The car has a lot of miles so I figure I値l be replacing the turbo at some point.

I also now work for Honeywell, and you may know that Garrett is owned by Honeywell. I知 looking for a Garrett turbo that will bolt up without large modifications and support stage 3. I壇 like to 徒eep it in the family so to speak. I致e done some searching, and it seems that most people are upgrading the mitsu unit to 19T.

Any recommendations on a Garret unit?

Thanks for the help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

The TD04 should work fine with lots of miles. But its a T25 flange, so you could do a number of different garretts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #3

A GT2560 or a GT2860R with a conservative tune, fueling and injectors would likely fit the bill.

...but it still is subject to all the inherent issues

Old 03-07-2014, 02:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses guys. Picked up the car last night and amazed at how well it runs and drives with 250k miles. Motor sounds great, turbo boosts wonderfully as well. It has trouble getting into reverse, but I haven't looked at it and first I suspect a linkage or shifter alignment issue.

Saabeh, you are right, the mits unit seems fine even with this high mileage.
Mike, what inherent issues? Are Garrett units in general not reliable? I know the gt17 was not, but thought others were much better. I don't know much about turbos aside from how they work. I don't know the naming conventions etc to make me knowledgeable about picking one out either.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:25 AM   #5

No, no...sorry for the confusion. I didn't complete that sentence and it is really unclear that I meant the inherent issues with the B235.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
Elder

The TD-04's (as long as they are rebuilt correctly) are extremely bulletproof. The issue with the GT-17 is they seem to be more sensitive to sludge related failures, and the turbine housings crack around the wastegate opening and the crack opens up and contacts the turbine wheel and it chews itself up.

Someone else will have to pipe up if there's a drop-in Garrett GT series. At worst you'd have to make up some custom lines.

It'd be worth a call to Nick Taliaferro (a phone call, not an email) since he'd probably be able to tell you off the top of his head.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
You're sort of stuck with drop-in upgrades.
T2 turbos aren't really plentiful, and certainly not in the upgrade area.
One of the old Nissans used to use s GT28 that is an upgrade, but not by a whole lot.
The big issue is that the turbo, itself, is the bottle-neck.
The manifold can be ported some, or you could use the 9000 manifold with the t3 flange.
I believe there's a little work to be done there, but the 9000 manifold has MUCH shorter runners, fatter-runners, and the ability to be opened for better flow.
you'd need, at minimum, a different downpipe, and possibly some work to clear the water-pump, but in my eyes, it's a more performance-oriented option that opens the doors to the piles of t3 turbos.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #8

The GT2560 (GT28R) has a T25 flange, and you can likely have lines made (or bent to match) fairly easily. It's not big enough to need a manifold spacer like the GT30 series, so you should be able to have a V-band welded to your existing downpipe.

The compressor wheel on this one is about the same size as a 19T, IIRC, but the turbine wheel is only a bit bigger than the one on the 15T, so it shouldn't be a lag dog at all.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #9

Thanks guys. I didn't get the notification that there were more responses. Not sure what I'll do yet, but I've got some "keywords" or starting points to go search and do research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in