Lowering a Saab 9-5 Wagon... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Lowering a Saab 9-5 Wagon...

Hello Saablink.net!

I'm a proud owner of a slick all black Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon , and recently was told at a recent alignment servicing that my rear springs were sagging, so why not take this opportunity to replace the old springs and struts all at once and get a new stance at the same time? I have two questions.

1. Is this kit a suitable option for the Aero wagon, considering it isn't listed as one of the compatible vehicles (extra rear weight)?

Eibach 7810.780

2. Has anyone had issues with the existing plastic wheel wells with their lowered cars? It seems that they might make contact. Thanks in advance!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Elder

Yes don't run 235-45-17s on lowered wagons, it will rub.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
if you are looking for springs, look for wagon specific springs. that way you wont need to put spacers in,

im a fan og B&G products like this one

B G lowering Springs 99 07 9 5 2 0 2 3T Wagon 78 1 011 | eBay

Old 11-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
SAABeginner

The thing with the Eibach kit is that I can get that whole kit for under $100, believe it or not, complete with springs, struts, and all, thanks to a supplier that just wants to get rid of them. Unbeatable deal! So where could I get spacers, and do I really need them? We're only talking about 150 lbs weight difference between the sedan and wagon, and my headlights are self leveling anyway, or is there more to it than that?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #5

As long as you never plan on carrying anything in the wagon, you should be OK. The different spring rates and brakes for the wagon are specified for the additional load carrying capacity of the car in addition to the extra sheet metal and glass.

Last edited by mike saunders; 11-04-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

why have a wagon and plan on not carrying anything in it ? get spacers son.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
TSLMember

I got significant front rubbing and some rear rubbing when the rear is loaded on my 03 9-5 aero wagon with 235/45/17 on BBS RKI rims. I drive on bad roads and do carry passengers and load in the bad, so I decided not to lower my car. I also installed ride height spacers and shims in the back to rectify the negative camber issue.

Last edited by Escargot; 12-06-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: 45 profile, not 55.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

55 is massive... 17's should be running 45 profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
if you are looking for springs, look for wagon specific springs. that way you wont need to put spacers in,

im a fan og B&G products like this one

B G lowering Springs 99 07 9 5 2 0 2 3T Wagon 78 1 011 | eBay
i bought these the rears sag and the front sit super high worst option.... trust me eibach i think is the way to go
Old 11-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversexpedition View Post
Yes don't run 235-45-17s on lowered wagons, it will rub.

Im running 245/40/18's rubbing goes away once your tires melt all the plastic away, this is the stance i ended off at loved it...

but this was about 80mm lowering vs stock but it was veryyyy hard to drive the tire would sit on the fender most of the time lol and the jack would not come out :s you also need a lot of camber adjustment, some people do for camber bolts but im getting my coils modified with a custom strut mount / camber adjustment plate...

Last edited by Saab95Aero; 11-25-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Do NOT buy the eibach struts
I thought I had found a great deal, but they are TERRIBLY soft, and under damped.
you'll blow them out quick and be looking for a set of bilsteins in less than a year.

With my B&G springs and TSW spa's, I rub the front with a 235/40/18
rear never rubs.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
Do NOT buy the eibach struts
I thought I had found a great deal, but they are TERRIBLY soft, and under damped.
you'll blow them out quick and be looking for a set of bilsteins in less than a year.

With my B&G springs and TSW spa's, I rub the front with a 235/40/18
rear never rubs.
ahaha it was even worse when i added a 10mm spacer but its SOOOOO flush i also have TSW rims i love them

I actually have a used set with of bilstein sport struts with eibach springs on my parts car it drove like a couch on wheels soooo smooth its insane..

Last edited by Saab95Aero; 11-26-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
SAABeginner

Well, as it turns out, the online store that had them refunded my money, probably because they were out of stock. C'est la vie. Looking for a new solution to my rear camber issues without raising my car. Someone said something about camber bolts/kit? And what is a good spring/strut combo for my car? I'm looking to lower it no more than an additional 1 to 1 1/2 inches.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

for real camber issue they have shims to fix them genuine saab sells them, the two rose buds in the rear control arms tend to let go and get very loose, the main trailing arm also tends to fail and that can cause a lot of bad camber..

check this out that's the rear trailing arm moving a crap load. lol
Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
TSLMember

I tried to replace the rear springs on my 03 9-5 aero wagon with new factory ones but that did not solve the sagging rear end. I think the factory springs are simply too weak and I've been advising people to do shims and spacers instead of wasting money on new springs. Hope your lowering springs don't have the same problem. Also check for worn bushings in the rear suspension.

I live in a place with bad roads so I tried to preserve the stock ride as much as possible with a little more stiffness and durability. I've been running my Eibach struts and shocks for more than 5 years/~70k mi now, still good *knock on wood*.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in