Sounds like an exhaust leak = new exhaust - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Sounds like an exhaust leak = new exhaust

I'm hearing a small hole somewhere down under, and although I like the extra tone and little bit of a "gurgle" I hear when I let off the gas at around 2k rpm in manual mode, I'd like to get a new exhaust system before the hole gets too big and I sound like some rusty jalopy.

So, what do y'all recommend for exhaust?

I –RIVE SWE–ISH
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Depends on how spendy you want to be. JT, BSR, GS etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #3

I'd love a full exhaust for less than $600, but I feel that might be a pipe dream.

I –RIVE SWE–ISH

Old 09-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #4

No, not for a turbo back. Your price range offers plenty of cat-back options though!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguy View Post
I'd love a full exhaust for less than $600, but I feel that might be a pipe dream.
The turbo back JT used to be that much from GS, but I think it went up. However that did not include a cat.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
TSLMember

I too may be needing a new exhaust. Went to a hippy music festival over the weekend and bottomed out my car on a sizable rock whilst driving through a field. Now my Aero sounds like a Civic with a fart cannon..
Old 09-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabonator View Post
I too may be needing a new exhaust. Went to a hippy music festival over the weekend and bottomed out my car on a sizable rock whilst driving through a field. Now my Aero sounds like a Civic with a fart cannon..
Seeing that you're in MA, you should talk to Finch Welding and Fab in Westford. Sam is building my turbo back exhaust this week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Seeing that you're in MA, you should talk to Finch Welding and Fab in Westford. Sam is building my turbo back exhaust this week.
Good call, thanks for the heads up. He's only 40 minutes from me. I've been following your "Bought a 2000 Aero" thread closely, I'll give them a call today to see if they can check it out.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
SAABeginner

Krona Performance full 3" is the best bang for the buck.

Krona Stainless Turbo Back Exhaust System Saab

I've had it on my car for almost a year now and it's still perfect. They added one of my youtube videos of my car to their site.. check it out. Sounds so clean..
Old 10-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael View Post
Krona Performance full 3" is the best bang for the buck.

Krona Stainless Turbo Back Exhaust System Saab

I've had it on my car for almost a year now and it's still perfect. They added one of my youtube videos of my car to their site.. check it out. Sounds so clean..
Its a great option, without question. However, I am going to end up paying MUCH less for my mandrel bent 3" turbo back. The piping is not stainless, but it is thick walled aluminized steel. The mufflers, flex pipe and tip are all stainless.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
TSLMember

Quote:
Its a great option, without question. However, I am going to end up paying MUCH less for my mandrel bent 3" turbo back. The piping is not stainless, but it is thick walled aluminized steel. The mufflers, flex pipe and tip are all stainless.
Where did you source your parts, and how much did everything run you if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabonator View Post
Where did you source your parts, and how much did everything run you if you don't mind me asking?
I ordered bends and glasspack from Summit, Magnaflow stainless muffler from Amazon prime, stainless flex joint and 2 v-band clamps from eBay. Parts were ~$350 and labor is going to be discounted to me because Finch Welding is building a jig to develop downpipes and cat-backs.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Quote:
I ordered bends and glasspack from Summit, Magnaflow stainless muffler from Amazon prime, stainless flex joint and 2 v-band clamps from eBay. Parts were ~$350 and labor is going to be discounted to me because Finch Welding is building a jig to develop downpipes and cat-backs.
I think I will be down for a cat back. Curious to hear yours SAABEH when it's done. I really don't want anything loud at all.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguy View Post
Did nobody else catch the amazing pun here? (Intentional or not) I found "Pipe dream" quite funny.

2003 9-5 Arc
Old 11-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Did nobody else catch the amazing pun here? (Intentional or not) I found "Pipe dream" quite funny.
Glad to see someone caught the pun!

Update, I still haven't gotten my exhaust leak fixed, but I think it's starting to get louder, which isn't good. So I'm back on the hunt for some pipes. I want to do turbo back, and that Krona turbo back someone suggested looks pretty nice, and doesn't sound half bad either, though I don't like those dual tips, nor do I like that I need to add $100 so they can adjust the hangers to fit my model year. I also don't want to trim the bumper at all.
I live in Florida, so I don't need a cat, which is sweet.
I just want something to bolt right up, from turbo to bumper, with no extra effort required. Is that too much to ask for?

I –RIVE SWE–ISH
Old 12-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

Quote:
What kind of bends did you go with? I'm looking into making a cat back myself and, just from looking @ pictures of stock systems, looks like 4 45', a 90', and some straight should do it for a cat back?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

I spent 250 it only goes to about half way under the car but worth it sure don't look fancy but it works

Last edited by Saab95Aero; 12-30-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochy38 View Post
What kind of bends did you go with? I'm looking into making a cat back myself and, just from looking @ pictures of stock systems, looks like 4 45', a 90', and some straight should do it for a cat back?
I mostly just ballparked and over ordered, I don't know exactly what is needed.

Damn Saab95Aero, those welds are hard on the eyes!

Here's mine:

Quote:
Old 01-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

Lmao I know she aint pretty but she was cheap and she works
Old 01-08-2014, 04:18 AM   #20
Avid TSL User

By any chance any body knows how much finch charges to do a full turbo back? For 02 aero thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in