Wanted performance parts? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
SAABeginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Keymar MD
Posts: 17
Wanted performance parts?

Hey guys, I am still new to this forum, but would like to find out what performance items you all are looking for?
I have very specific items and processes that are not commonly offered in the SAAB world!
Please look at my recent thread for a little insight into who I am and what I can offer!
I have the ability to build or offer a few performance products that are not presently offered!
I have am working on a windage tray with a crank scraper, which reduces oil fog in general none the less what the piston squirters create!
I am also going to offer a custom Reindeer Style header and potentially custom sheet metal intake manifolds.
What I am looking for, is specifics, HP goals flange needs- for either throttle or turbo sizing.
Intakes are obviously aluminum and any custom sheetmetal intake will be the same. Exhaust- headers can have a variety of materials that that they can be made of! Anything from mild steel to stainless steel, polished, coated or otherwise. The goal is to offer a premium product tailored to the specifics that are required for your build.
Ultimately I am looking for what is needed in the SAAB world. So any suggestion will we welcome.
I already have plans to produce items that are not available to free up or produce HP that has not been done!

Any insight will be helpful!
Thanks!
phoenixpnr is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
SAABeginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Keymar MD
Posts: 17
I have a very good friend who is an excellent metal fabricator. He presently makes custom headers in shop for all kinds of applications and is very interested in producing a reindeer style header with greater ease of attainability and lower cost. But I want to give him as much information as possible so that we can offer a header that people are interested in and can afford!
If anyone has come across good images of reindeer headers, can you please forward them to me.
Thanks!
phoenixpnr is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction
 
rarelibra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: People's Republic of Montgomery County
Posts: 414
Send a message via Yahoo to rarelibra Send a message via Skype™ to rarelibra
Sean - I can only imagine that some of the things that members will be interested would include

- tubular (reindeer) headers/exhaust

here are some examples of what is out there

Maptun:



Jak Stoll Performance:



the ebay manifold (UK company):







manifolds would be regularly fitted to the T25 flange, unless the customer would need a bigger/custom flange fitting.

I would think these would be other items in demand (not sure if this is something you would choose to manufacture, but they are items that members are always looking for):

- strut tower brace
- custom downpipe
- front mounted intercooler (FMIC)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
i don't think a c900 has sold for 28k since the day one left the dealership new.
rarelibra is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL
 
Harvey's Autohaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: baltimore
Posts: 1,643
And Bigger sway bars,

As for the header options, most of those are either cost prohibitive or in very custom order short supply.
__________________
HakbarSAABzzz
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can only buy what is sold to you.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 07-23-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Harvey's Autohaus is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Elder
 
oliversexpedition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dulles, VA
Posts: 2,014
C900 skid/Rally plates (protects Oil pan in a classic 900)

3" Downpipes
__________________
99 9-5 Wagon
01 9-5 Sedan
99 9-5 Wagon parting out
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
oliversexpedition is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL
 
Harvey's Autohaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: baltimore
Posts: 1,643
A group buy of stainless stock location equal tube length headers might be a worth while venture to look into. Alex I will be happy to be test mules for any test products you feel like whipping up header wise or a reindeer
__________________
HakbarSAABzzz
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can only buy what is sold to you.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 07-23-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Harvey's Autohaus is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Elder
 
mike d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: nashua NH
Posts: 4,697
Send a message via AIM to mike d
i put some time in too, to test-tune his products.

headers would be great, i would also like to see one that puts the turbo down and towards the gearbox with a t3 flange...

equal length runners or bust with headers!
__________________
MikeDTuning.com
mike d is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction
 
TheSaabNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 458
Headers, downpipes with cats (Maryland is VERY strict about them) exhaust systems, you name it. Genuine saab has some good stuff but can be very expensive.
__________________
2001 9-5 Aero Clone Stage 1
2001 9-3 Base 15t swapped
TheSaabNinja is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
SAAB Road Master
 
93viggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California.
Posts: 349
I would be interested in exhaust and intake manifolds... Down pipes are semi turbo dependent, would differ per setup. I would buy the crank scraper definitely.
But, I would most be interested in valve train components for a t7 cylinder head. It would be nice to be able to buy stronger valves, and uprated springs per application, as no one offers them yet as far as I know.. Or an intake manifold that has a t5 injector/ head to manifold flange with a t7 throttle body flange, fittings, etc. So we could adapt the t5 head to our t7 cars.

Also would be interested in adjustable camshaft gears/sprockets as well as longer duration camshafts. As the current ones offered are $800.00 a set... Maybe possible to send ours to you have them welded, cut and re ground for different lift, duration, etc.

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing some products! As well as maybe a website when it gets going!
__________________
Using waste to make haste!
93viggen is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Elder
 
jssaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93viggen View Post
I would be interested in exhaust and intake manifolds... Down pipes are semi turbo dependent, would differ per setup. I would buy the crank scraper definitely.
But, I would most be interested in valve train components for a t7 cylinder head. It would be nice to be able to buy stronger valves, and uprated springs per application, as no one offers them yet as far as I know.. Or an intake manifold that has a t5 injector/ head to manifold flange with a t7 throttle body flange, fittings, etc. So we could adapt the t5 head to our t7 cars.

Also would be interested in adjustable camshaft gears/sprockets as well as longer duration camshafts. As the current ones offered are $800.00 a set... Maybe possible to send ours to you have them welded, cut and re ground for different lift, duration, etc.

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing some products! As well as maybe a website when it gets going!
Man that'[email protected] backwards. a T7 head breaths much better than a T5 head. Stronger valves??? How many have you ever broken? You can use Vovlo valve springs if you intend on revving past 7000.

DrewP sells adjustable cam gears for 150 I think, PM him
jssaab is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
SAAB Road Master
 
93viggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California.
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Man that'[email protected] backwards. a T7 head breaths much better than a T5 head. Stronger valves??? How many have you ever broken? You can use Vovlo valve springs if you intend on revving past 7000.

DrewP sells adjustable cam gears for 150 I think, PM him
I have broken one valve, actually. And seen 2 broken at the dealer I work at (Marvin K. Brown). So I am skeptical, mind you all stock cars, all being 9-5's, 2 99MY's and one 2001. All three broke right where the valve stem connects to the valve head... Maybe a bad batch?

They barely flow better... At that, the t5 heads can be made to flow just as good with a mild port job. I was just throwing out ideas! He asked so I suggested... Lol. And yes, I know the t7 motors have better exhaust valves. Blagh blagh, we all have our opinions, and I would like to try something different! Kalle Uhr's current 9-5r has a b234 block, b235 rods and pistons (both aftermarket forged something awesome!) to retain the b235 Rod geometry and rod to stroke ratio, t7 head gasket and t5 cylinder head... And that thing screams.

Got that transmission in btw!!! The Viggen drives great now... Minus a few minor engine problems
__________________
Using waste to make haste!
93viggen is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
Elder
 
jssaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,918
Yeah I wnet the 234 bottom end route for $$$ savings woudl not do it again teh 235 bottom ( built right ) rocks...

Glad the trans worked out for you sorry for the issues, my car is good, gotta put on teh new top and recondition teh interior, it drive great! Hope you get your motor issues straight...
jssaab is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
SAAB Road Master
 
93viggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California.
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Yeah I wnet the 234 bottom end route for $$$ savings woudl not do it again teh 235 bottom ( built right ) rocks...

Glad the trans worked out for you sorry for the issues, my car is good, gotta put on teh new top and recondition teh interior, it drive great! Hope you get your motor issues straight...
Yeah it worked out well!! Well, the 235 block has some material taken out of it, specifically cylinders 3 and 3 have some supporting material taken off, assuming for weight. The 234 definitely appears stronger. There is more material at the bottom of the cylinders... Anyways, done hijacking the thread!!!! Sorry ><.
__________________
Using waste to make haste!
93viggen is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
SAABeginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Keymar MD
Posts: 17
I am not completely sure of the metallurgy of the T7 exh. valves. But I too have heard of instances of failure. Now on a machinist's view point on what I routinely see on low mileage or excellent condition engines, is that the exh. valve face (seating area) is VERY pitted as compared to the mating exh. valve seat and the whole int. side. I have commissioned custom valves from Ferrea in the past, and interestingly enough, their first question was why. It through me off at first, thinking, do you want to sell some valves or not? But ultimately the salesman was trying to figure out if there was an issue that needed to be fixed. In the application that I had valves made for, had the same issue as the T7 valves, massive pitting for no apparent reason. The Ferrea salesmen explained that the pitting was actually caused by the fact that the valve and seat are too close metallurgicly close to one another. Meaning that at extreme temperatures the two metals actually minutely fusion weld together. The result is that the mildly weaker metal, gets tiny portions pulled off of it (and is lost in the exh) resulting in pitting. When there is a significant difference between the two, there is little pitting issue if at all, just normal wear.
I have always respected Harvey, but he sounds like Mike Meyers on SNL, "if it isn't Swedish, it isn't crap!" I get it, but the parts don't lie. I want to have not only the different material, but 1mm larger for serious engines.
Now as far as failure issues, they will directly come from the smaller 5.5 MM stem size and the stem material used. Hopefully I can resolve these issues, because in theory I prefer the smaller stem, not only for more flow, but less weight on the valve train and valve springs.

Two other excellent ways to control valve train weight issues is to lighten up the lifter buckets and go to possibly Titanium retainers and or a beehive spring set up.

Everything comes down to, how extreme do people want to go?

I'd love to take on the EU guys with their own cars americanized!!
phoenixpnr is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master
 
93viggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California.
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixpnr View Post
I am not completely sure of the metallurgy of the T7 exh. valves. But I too have heard of instances of failure. Now on a machinist's view point on what I routinely see on low mileage or excellent condition engines, is that the exh. valve face (seating area) is VERY pitted as compared to the mating exh. valve seat and the whole int. side. I have commissioned custom valves from Ferrea in the past, and interestingly enough, their first question was why. It through me off at first, thinking, do you want to sell some valves or not? But ultimately the salesman was trying to figure out if there was an issue that needed to be fixed. In the application that I had valves made for, had the same issue as the T7 valves, massive pitting for no apparent reason. The Ferrea salesmen explained that the pitting was actually caused by the fact that the valve and seat are too close metallurgicly close to one another. Meaning that at extreme temperatures the two metals actually minutely fusion weld together. The result is that the mildly weaker metal, gets tiny portions pulled off of it (and is lost in the exh) resulting in pitting. When there is a significant difference between the two, there is little pitting issue if at all, just normal wear.
I have always respected Harvey, but he sounds like Mike Meyers on SNL, "if it isn't Swedish, it isn't crap!" I get it, but the parts don't lie. I want to have not only the different material, but 1mm larger for serious engines.
Now as far as failure issues, they will directly come from the smaller 5.5 MM stem size and the stem material used. Hopefully I can resolve these issues, because in theory I prefer the smaller stem, not only for more flow, but less weight on the valve train and valve springs.

Two other excellent ways to control valve train weight issues is to lighten up the lifter buckets and go to possibly Titanium retainers and or a beehive spring set up.

Everything comes down to, how extreme do people want to go?

I'd love to take on the EU guys with their own cars americanized!!
Hmm, very interesting. I have experienced that, actually. I always wondered what caused that, very informative about the valve seat material and valve itself.
I, personally, would go as extreme as possible. Given the mentality of do it right the first time... Yes, financially will take more time to purchase parts but I would if they were available and reasonably priced. However from my experience in the Saab community (which for the performance aspect is pretty minimal) we are all pretty cheap.. Which is probably why we did not go buy an m3 and dump 5k into a valvetrain. Not many of us can afford that lol. Not me certainly, which is why I do as much as my own work as possible. Having access to all the tools needed through the dealer I work at isn't bad, either.

Which brings me to the question of swapping a t5 head that has a mild port match and polish, etc... For whatever application. Thus my idea for an intake manifold That would allow for T7 connections, accessories etc. Just throwing out ideas! Feel like I am hijacking the thread. Apologies ><.

Again, Sean, thank you for the time and effort put into this! Will be happy to see how this plays out!!!
__________________
Using waste to make haste!
93viggen is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
SAAB Road Master
 
93viggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California.
Posts: 349
Sean, in case you or anyone else is interested. I, personally have had an exhaust valve failure, looks like the head separated from the stem. Here are some pictures. Note, pitting on ALL the faces of the exhaust valves. I took a picture of the piston that the valve went through, well the head of the valve as well as the combustion chamber (all the metal shavings are from me practicing some porting). I got some time to take all the valves out today so here are some pics.







__________________
Using waste to make haste!
93viggen is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
SAABeginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Keymar MD
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93viggen View Post
Sean, in case you or anyone else is interested. I, personally have had an exhaust valve failure, looks like the head separated from the stem. Here are some pictures. Note, pitting on ALL the faces of the exhaust valves. I took a picture of the piston that the valve went through, well the head of the valve as well as the combustion chamber (all the metal shavings are from me practicing some porting). I got some time to take all the valves out today so here are some pics.







That sucks! But nice bathroom sink though lol.
Alright, the issue is that the head of the valve is a different material then the stem and the are fused together. You have to admit, that when they fail there is more power involved then the factory ever intended. Two piece forgings are cheaper. I have found Ferrea one piece stainless valves for 300 (full set) that work with T5 guides in the T7 heads. This eliminates both problems, plus they are available in stock diameter or oversize(my preference).
phoenixpnr is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
SAAB Road Master
 
93viggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California.
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixpnr View Post
That sucks! But nice bathroom sink though lol.
Alright, the issue is that the head of the valve is a different material then the stem and the are fused together. You have to admit, that when they fail there is more power involved then the factory ever intended. Two piece forgings are cheaper. I have found Ferrea one piece stainless valves for 300 (full set) that work with T5 guides in the T7 heads. This eliminates both problems, plus they are available in stock diameter or oversize(my preference).
Haha, thanks! Just redone! Lol.

The thing is... This was a 100 percent stock car, all of them were (3 failure instances). Oh wow, that is cheaper than I thought they would be! I just thought I would share what I have experienced, with pictures!
__________________
Using waste to make haste!
93viggen is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All content is copyright The Saab Link and it's original authors.


 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.