RareLibra - Page 7 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #121
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarelibra View Post
Well as the former owner of this great beast (and the one who customized it greatly from stock), I can speak for this group to say we would all love to at least hear what you have done to it since you purchased it. And please find a way to post pics ... there are plenty of free sites to use for photo sharing.

You bought it from the gentleman in Richmond, I assume?

-R
Where to begin, the guy who bought it from you is my closest friend and is still part of the car and is always trying to swipe my key from it. He daily drove the car until late 2019 when the head gasket blew. I was in the market for a new car and he knew I loved that car so I took ownership of it in early 2020. We pulled the engine and trans out of the car in early 2020 for what was going to be just a new gasket and freshening up. well that turned into a much larger project. upon further inspection the head was messed up beyond resurfacing. I managed to find a brand new head from a GM dealer here in VA and sent to out to get polished and ported. I replaced all of the chains, and went to ARP head studs. I changed out the silicone coolant hoses to the OEM rubber ones as the silicone ones were leaking and ultimately the cause of the blown gasket. it took a while for me to reassemble the engine due to funds being tight but I got it back to gather in July of 2020 and I have been driving it daily since. The car is largely the same as you remember it. The only exterior changes are the removal of the rack on top and I swapped the wheels to some slightly wider 9-3 Aero wheels. The factory HIDs were replaced with LEDs in late 2019. The car needs to have some paint correction done due to sitting outside for almost a year sadly but thats getting done in the summer. my next steps are to replace the head unit with a CarPlay one, repaint the brake calipers (gold is flaking off the front). performance wise its still running the same tune as you sold it with but im now running a larger oil cooler and ive changed the exhaust to a slightly but more open design custom one. while rebuilding the car I changed the trans out for a 06 one with 30k because we had it just sitting there. I get complements on the car all the time. I take it to our local Cars and Coffee several times a year and it always gets a crowd around it. one thing people always comment on is the berber floor mats (one of my favorite things) and the OEM bug deflector. if you have any questions please ask me and ill be happy to answer them. I have a few as well that have crossed my mind. ill try to figure out a way to get some pictures asap.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #122
SAABeginner

Some photos that I have on my phone. I can take more of different things if requested.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ETTTHCLr8vicC6ng7
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-03-2021, 03:53 PM   #123
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to rarelibra Send a message via Skype™ to rarelibra
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcuzem3 View Post
Where to begin, the guy who bought it from you is my closest friend and is still part of the car and is always trying to swipe my key from it. He daily drove the car until late 2019 when the head gasket blew. I was in the market for a new car and he knew I loved that car so I took ownership of it in early 2020. We pulled the engine and trans out of the car in early 2020 for what was going to be just a new gasket and freshening up. well that turned into a much larger project. upon further inspection the head was messed up beyond resurfacing. I managed to find a brand new head from a GM dealer here in VA and sent to out to get polished and ported. I replaced all of the chains, and went to ARP head studs. I changed out the silicone coolant hoses to the OEM rubber ones as the silicone ones were leaking and ultimately the cause of the blown gasket. it took a while for me to reassemble the engine due to funds being tight but I got it back to gather in July of 2020 and I have been driving it daily since. The car is largely the same as you remember it. The only exterior changes are the removal of the rack on top and I swapped the wheels to some slightly wider 9-3 Aero wheels. The factory HIDs were replaced with LEDs in late 2019. The car needs to have some paint correction done due to sitting outside for almost a year sadly but thats getting done in the summer. my next steps are to replace the head unit with a CarPlay one, repaint the brake calipers (gold is flaking off the front). performance wise its still running the same tune as you sold it with but im now running a larger oil cooler and ive changed the exhaust to a slightly but more open design custom one. while rebuilding the car I changed the trans out for a 06 one with 30k because we had it just sitting there. I get complements on the car all the time. I take it to our local Cars and Coffee several times a year and it always gets a crowd around it. one thing people always comment on is the berber floor mats (one of my favorite things) and the OEM bug deflector. if you have any questions please ask me and ill be happy to answer them. I have a few as well that have crossed my mind. ill try to figure out a way to get some pictures asap.
Thanks for the photos ... she still looks great! I bet the head gasket blew next to cylinder 3... after the initial machine work, it blew in that area because of a flaw in the block. A whole new block was machined over and reinstalled soon after with ARP studs and a new gasket, of course. It wasn't the silicone hoses that caused the head gasket to blow ... those things actually help radiate heat away from the coolant. I put them on every car I own and never have any issues. More than likely it was the stress from all the other things combined - but I would check the tune and tweak the numbers to make sure.
I never enjoyed the HIDs but I liked the look ... I put LEDs on everything now as well.

You know the exhaust that was on it was one of the best custom exhausts available for a Saab? It was a full 3" back with racing cats on it ... I'm glad to hear it still gets all kinds of attention for you ... it won a trophy for People's Choice the first year I went to [email protected] (in 2011) due to it being a more rare color, and it went on to win Best Red Color as well as Best 9-5. It started as a 9-5 Arc and I did a complete Aero conversion to it ... swapped out tan Aero seats and then later swapped out to the gray/black Aero seats (if they are still the ones in there).

Where do you go to Cars and Coffee? Maybe I'll drive down sometime ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
i don't think a c900 has sold for 28k since the day one left the dealership new.

Old 01-03-2021, 04:05 PM   #124
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarelibra View Post
Thanks for the photos ... she still looks great! I bet the head gasket blew next to cylinder 3... after the initial machine work, it blew in that area because of a flaw in the block. A whole new block was machined over and reinstalled soon after with ARP studs and a new gasket, of course. It wasn't the silicone hoses that caused the head gasket to blow ... those things actually help radiate heat away from the coolant. I put them on every car I own and never have any issues. More than likely it was the stress from all the other things combined - but I would check the tune and tweak the numbers to make sure.
I never enjoyed the HIDs but I liked the look ... I put LEDs on everything now as well.

You know the exhaust that was on it was one of the best custom exhausts available for a Saab? It was a full 3" back with racing cats on it ... I'm glad to hear it still gets all kinds of attention for you ... it won a trophy for People's Choice the first year I went to [email protected] (in 2011) due to it being a more rare color, and it went on to win Best Red Color as well as Best 9-5. It started as a 9-5 Arc and I did a complete Aero conversion to it ... swapped out tan Aero seats and then later swapped out to the gray/black Aero seats (if they are still the ones in there).

Where do you go to Cars and Coffee? Maybe I'll drive down sometime ...
It did in fact blow right around number 3. Interesting about the hoses. I still have them I might put them back in next time i have to drain down the cooling system. I never liked the HIDs either. They were getting really dim towards the end as i think the ballasts were going on them or something. The LEDs are miles ahead of them though. The one thing that Iím trying to get figured out is the front corner lamps have moisture in them and the LED strip on the bottom is almost burned out on the passenger side. I know they are boost customs i believe but I canít find any info to see about getting them fixed or if I should just put stock replacements back in with LED bulbs. I should say that the exhaust is the same except it has a new center muffler in it to cut down the noise a little. All the rest of the piping and cats are the same. It has the same gray/black seats and are in excellent condition. I do I remember seeing in the thread that you were putting the ventilated seats in but it doesnít have them. Did you remove them? I love the color someone and it was a rare color. I go to the Richmond Cars and Coffee most weekends. I love that itís won awards and that Iím able to carry on the torch. Itís a little rough in some places but Iím working on slowly bringing it back to its former glory including her name (dont ask me to pronounce please).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in