Exhaust system suggestions - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Exhaust system suggestions

I have a (new to me) 2006 9-5 Sport Combi with the Sport Pkg and 80k miles.

Unfortunately the exhaust system is very solid so I need to sabotage it.

What are some good set ups for a more performance oriented exhaust system?

Years ago I had a C900T with nothing more that a stainless mandrel bent 2-1/2" cat back and about an 18" glass pack. Improved the breathing first and sounded great as a nice side effect.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

The newer engines will never sound even half as good as a c900 exhaust.....

I would just do a downpipe and that's it. I yanked my perfectly good oem viggen exh years ago for a full 3in setup. Then after getting to annoyed by its sound kept the 3in downpipe and used I think it was a saab sport cat back system.

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

I'd recommend Krona Performance. We go a full 3" turboback with or without cat. Also have the 3" downpipe only, also with or without cat. Good prices for nice stainless work!

brewcityboost.com

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
SAABeginner

Exhaust suggestions

Thanks for the info and the link.
I've already heard great things about Brew City Boost.
I notice you hop up the ECU before you recommend/require exhaust work, does the factory exhaust already breathe well enough to fully handle the added flow of stage 1?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
Elder

yes for stage one stock exhaust is fine
Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I put the BSR dual exit on it from GenuineSaab.com Not sure if it really doesn't fit on the car, or if they welded it up piss drunk but I had to get creative on the installation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
SAABeginner

Making plans

Thanks again for all the info.

I bought my first Saab about 24 years ago, a 1981 900T, have had 3 other 900's and a 99 in the mean time. Bought a 86 900T with 90k mi and drove it to 340k mi.

The 9-5 is new to me, I bought it 3 days ago, but I expect to do some business with Brew City Boost very soon.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
For the advertised prices of brew city, you can get almost two JT setups from Nick @ Genuinesaab.com

I'm going on my eighth year with a JT, and I wouldn't look anywhere else for a Turboback exhaust.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
For the advertised prices of brew city, you can get almost two JT setups from Nick @ Genuinesaab.com

I'm going on my eighth year with a JT, and I wouldn't look anywhere else for a Turboback exhaust.
And these two exhausts are miles apart in quality and materials. And don't forget the cost adder if you decide you need a cat on that JT, oh crap!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Old 02-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Miles apart?

I don't know you. I don't know if you're a vendor on this site. Frankly, I don't care.
It's apparent from the product you sell that they're Chinese products, and in-turn use Chinese cats, and Chinese mufflers. For the $150 it would cost, I'd happily have my local guy install a flowmaster/random/vibrant/whatever cat and know it's going to last me a few years.

JT have a MUCH better downpipe than yours, and mandrel-bent slip-fit downpipe-back.
If I had any problem with my exhaust, It's nice to know I can replace a section without having to shell-out another $1k, or hope my welder can weld onto your chinese mystery-metal exhaust.

As stated, I've used JT exhausts since 04, and I wouldn't look anywhere else.
OP can make his own judgements on where he buys his parts, but hopefully he sees through a guy who's business strategy is undercutting and badmouthing his competition.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Is there a vendor in the US that carries the JT exhaust for 04+ 9-5's?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
SAAB Road Master

We fully back up our exhaust. Which is made in America, fuck ya!

I'm glad you like your JT. Having options is a good thing. So is not being ripped off, apparently it's the same as undercutting.

edit: And we offer them for 2004+ 9-5's!

Last edited by rabbit; 02-28-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Elder

Genuinesaab.com sells jt exhausts
Old 02-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
srp
Elder

They don't list the 04+ variant.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
Elder

Looks like Nick just has the cat-back for 04+
I'd just assume have a downpipe made with a cat, and go that route. $530 for the dual-muffler cat-back is pretty good!

GenuineSaab.com
Old 02-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
srp
Elder

Yeah that's a BSR though. Not a JT.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
Elder

oops. I looked too quickly.
I've never owned a bsr, but people seem to like them.
Bummer about Nick not having 04+ 9-5.

are they actually different? The car didn't change much...
Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
SAABeginner

Re: Exhaust system suggestions

Slamming someone who you know nothing about in the parts or the work they offer, arrogance is a wonderful thing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #19
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
Miles apart?

I don't know you. I don't know if you're a vendor on this site. Frankly, I don't care.
It's apparent from the product you sell that they're Chinese products, and in-turn use Chinese cats, and Chinese mufflers. For the $150 it would cost, I'd happily have my local guy install a flowmaster/random/vibrant/whatever cat and know it's going to last me a few years.

JT have a MUCH better downpipe than yours, and mandrel-bent slip-fit downpipe-back.
If I had any problem with my exhaust, It's nice to know I can replace a section without having to shell-out another $1k, or hope my welder can weld onto your chinese mystery-metal exhaust.

As stated, I've used JT exhausts since 04, and I wouldn't look anywhere else.
OP can make his own judgements on where he buys his parts, but hopefully he sees through a guy who's business strategy is undercutting and badmouthing his competition.
MILES APART is correct...

JT exhaust are very cheaply made, I personally know how much R&D went into the Krona Exhaust... So if you wanna just throw out your opinions on something you haven't even seen before go ahead...

Krona Exhaust:
Stainless Steal
Cat or Catless option
Made in the US
Lifetime Warranty
Uses Audi/VW OEM Clamps
Every Component is made in the US
Design of mufflers is current and uses welds
Uses a center Resonator and one Muffler
Price for what you get = Fantastic

JT Exhaust:
Aluminumized Steal
No option for Catalytic Converter
Made in Sweden
Warranty? if a part breaks you can buy "a la carte" pieces
Uses NAPA equivalent Clamps
Every Componenet is made, somewhere?
Design system for the Mufflers is from 40 to 50 years old
Uses 2 straight through mufflers
Price for what you get = You are paying mostly shipping fee's for this system because it must be imported into the US

Point is IF Krona wanted to make the same system as JT it would cost roughly $200 to produce... When comparing stainless to aluminized steal which would you prefer?

Krona got into this market to make quality parts at a very reasonable price, the quality of the krona exhaust far surpasses JT in every way, shape, and form.

When throwing stones do some research and figure out why you are even throwing them in the first place, because right now you are getting smoked

Last edited by byastremski; 03-25-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
Why had nobody on here mentioned the idea of seeing a local exhaust shop, and suppling your own mufflers? i have had shops in my area build be a 3inch catback for 200-300$ including parts, and installation. and when i do this i get to use the muffler i want, and the tip i want, and get something a little bit more personal than a one size fits all option.

id bet given the flanges, an exhaust shop could make a pretty awesome downpipe too, Even if its not mandrell bent, a 3inch normally bent downpipe will still flow quite a bit better than anything stock,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in