99 Saab 95 upgrade questions. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
SAABeginner

99 Saab 95 upgrade questions.

Hello all.

I recently purchased a 99 95 for pretty cheap because the crank pulley had come loose and sheared the tabs for the oil pump off.

I've fixed the problem by installing a new balancer/pulley and timing cover which wasn't the easiest job ever

I've went through a ton of threads on performance mods and have decided to sink some cash into upgrades since I only have about 1/4 of blue book into the car and I really like it.

It's my understanding that I can take my turbo off and swap in a direct fit replacement T4 turbo made for later Aeros.

My first question is... All this swap requires is the turbo and a tune to go from 185 hp to 250 hp? I believe some mentioned "red" injectors also? Does this mean red in color? what is a source for these? I see red ignition cassettes, is this the part swapped in?

I also have an aftermarket intercooler that I plan to install and would be fabbing a 3 inch pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body and would be buying a ready fit pipe from the MAF to the turbo from Genuine Saab.
What would be the best place to install an upgraded BOV? closer to the IC or closer to the TB?

My other mods planned would be a down pipe, cat back and a cold air induction.

What if anything should I also do? I have about $3500 to 4k budgeted into this project.

My car is a 1999 95 with the 2.3L and a 5 speed.
It didn't have any sludge in the pan when I took it off, has the PCV revision, and has had a new clutch and timing chain set installed last summer.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Elder

welcome to the community!

I recently built a new engine for my '00 9-5 and it is a monster. I would highly recommend swapping your turbo for a tdo4hl-19t which is commonly referred to as a 19t.

this alone is an amazing upgrade. I spent about $700 on mine. but they can be had less expensively.

if you find Chadwick on here he can build one if you send him a core turbo.

the red ignition cassette WILL NOT WORK on your car. red cassettes are for t5 cars, black are for t7 cars, which is your 9-5 is

so if you were to buy a 19t, an upgraded set of siemens injectors, and have your ecu tuned.along with the downpipe and intercooler I've been told that it will yield approximately 300 wheel horsepower

this is how I've upgraded my 9-5 Aero, I just need to have it tuned

Last edited by turbojohnny; 08-23-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Elder

welcome!

ive got an 02 and am about to do some simple tuning now that im officially at stage 0.

i love the 9-5s

great cars

Old 08-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
My brother had a 99 lpt. Great car but kind of quirky since it was the first model year. The motor and transmission are the same. If u plan on doing any upgrades I suggest u flush your transmission fluid and put in a clutch from a 9-5 aero. The lpt clutch is tiny and won't handle much power. Then yes you can swap on a tdo4-15t (stock) or go for the 19t which will require a fuel pump and injector upgrade as well as a downpipe, intake, intercooler and a tune.

Pics of the car?
Old 08-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #5
SAABeginner

I had planned on getting my 15T from xsboost for $500 but I will definitely upgrade to the 19T now that I know I can make 300hp with it. it's only $150 more for the upgrade and that's for a rebuilt unit and includes a core charge so $650 total... Doesn't seem like a bad deal for that large of a performance increase over stock.

I will do all the pipe, FMIC, injectors, complete exhaust and now that I'm aware a fuel pump too.

I feel the car is worth upgrading as I only have about $1000 into it now as it sits.

In the past 16 months or so the previous owner had the dealer replace the clutch, timing set, both front bearings, shocks and struts, brakes, cabin and air filters.

Right now it's sitting because it has a bad oil leak because I didn't replace the oil pump O-ring or the front main seal because I thought they were good when I did the new timing cover.... You live you learn. I'll have the new seals Monday from eEuroparts.

The only other issues are bad window rollers on the pass front (also ordered with the seals) The heater valve issue that makes the drivers vent blow hot air and the SID display.

The car seems to have all options except leather, moon roof and the automatic, it's super clean with one spot of rust in front of the drivers rear tire and the interior is mint except for the door pulls.

Here's a pic before I washed it really good and cleaned the wheels.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
Elder

believe it or not, that is a rare car
Old 08-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
SAABeginner

My oil O-ring and front main seal arrived early today so it's actually a running driving car finally. Can't wait to start the turbo swap now.

What makes it rare?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgto View Post
My oil O-ring and front main seal arrived early today so it's actually a running driving car finally. Can't wait to start the turbo swap now.

What makes it rare?
Cloth "Wool based" interior, Very rare. in the US
Old 08-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
SAABeginner

Who would've thought cloth interiors would be rare? The seats and door panels were actually on my long list of things to mod after the engine. Was going to switch to later Aero seats and door panels in leather.

I thought it was the 16" BBS RK-1 wheels. I see tons of those and RK-2's but in bigger diameter on Saab forums.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Elder

The interior and the fact that it has no moon/sunroof
Old 08-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
SAABeginner

Does anyone have a link to the exact injectors I will need.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Elder

Genuinesaab.com has them
Old 09-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
Cloth "Wool based" interior, Very rare. in the US
So having no leather ? my 9-5 estate didnt have leather but i swapped it out for leather and scrapped the cloth

also mine has no sunroof

Edit: I think you need to swap out the coolant pipes to the turbo aswell if your using a TD04. im sure the aeros have bigger pipes ? Correct me if im wrong.

is doing the clutch necessary as im going to do the same thing(TD04 and Homebrew remap)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Saab 9-3 non turbo 1998 R.I.P.
Saab 9-3 non turbo 1999 Sold
Saab 9-5 2000 Current

Last edited by Boydy; 09-01-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
TSLMember

Nick at Genuinesaab could verify this, but I'm not sure there is a straight swap with larger injectors because your intake manifold has 'air flushed' injectors. I built 'your' car years ago and changed to the newer style manifold so I could upgrade easier.
Again Nick could tell you if you've got a better injector solution that I didn't back then. Best of luck on your soon to be addiction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in