Spec flywheel - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Spec flywheel

just picked up a spec weight fly wheel going to put it in this weekend, had anyone else installed a spec flywheel? GS claims i will need longer bolts but i called up the spec people i bought it from they said it should fit with stock flywheel bolts. who should i believe? any insight would be helpful.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Elder

Yes u need longer bolts but stock fit just not as much bite. I hate how these cars run with that flywheel not very manageable for a street car.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
ditto,, i usally have the stock flywheel lightened 5-8 lbs,, That really seams like the sweet spot for these cars

Old 07-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

i picked up some m10x1.25x30mm after seeing some stuff off of gs. i think they look long enough against the flywheel? i might have to grind the tips down a little but its all good.

what dont you guys like about them? will she stall if i stop to quickly? ive heard of some issues with light weight flywheels on othercars. nothing too bad, any examples of the streetability of the spec weight? i know i wont be able to launch but it shouldnt be that big of an issue will it?

i didnt have the time keep the car on a lift for a week so this was easier/cheeper option.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Elder

Cheaper or easier? Don't really understand that it's max 125 to lighten and takes the same amount of time to lighten as resurface you generally take it to the machine shop while you change the clutch.

I don't like how you need to stay on the throttle when you try to cruise to a stop and it's hard to feather start in traffic.. Not un manageable just very annoying after a while.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Elder

I like mine. Have probably 120k miles on it in a B205R and now a B235R. I've always used stock bolts. If your car's tuned right and you know how to drive a manual transmission it's not an issue to drive at all. It does make the car more diffifult for a beginner to learn-on, if you ever try to teach someone how to drive a manual.

When I sent my rotating assembly out for balance I was surprised how much they had to grind off of this supposed "performance" part to balance it. Overall I'm totally less than impressed with every single SPEC item I've purchased and will try to avoid them in the future if there's any type of alternative.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 07-26-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
I like mine. Have probably 120k miles on it in a B205R and now a B235R. I've always used stock bolts. If your car's tuned right and you know how to drive a manual transmission it's not an issue to drive at all. It does make the car more diffifult for a beginner to learn-on, if you ever try to teach someone how to drive a manual.

When I sent my rotating assembly out for balance I was surprised how much they had to grind off of this supposed "performance" part to balance it. Overall I'm totally less than impressed with every single SPEC item I've purchased and will try to avoid them in the future if there's any type of alternative.

So your spec flywheel wasn't balanced when it arrived at your door? Or are you saying you took the time to send the whole bottom end out ?

I was under the impression this was a plug and play deal the only difference would be shift points and take offs from a stop.

What do you mean tuned right, is there something jzw can do while tuning? Will he have to retune the ecu so it knows there is less mass on the flywheel?

My shop manager is an asshole anytime I want to keep my car on a lift on anyother day but saterday. He wants $50, and I wasn't trying to dissassemble/re assemble my car 4 different times over two weekends.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
sometimes it can help to raise the idle speed withta super light flywheel. ive found that you need to rev it more to pull away from stop lights, and to get up hills from a dig with a spec flywheel and clutch is a mess.

you end up riding the clutch for so long, that you will drastically shorten its life.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordScania View Post
So your spec flywheel wasn't balanced when it arrived at your door? Or are you saying you took the time to send the whole bottom end out ?

I was under the impression this was a plug and play deal the only difference would be shift points and take offs from a stop.

What do you mean tuned right, is there something jzw can do while tuning? Will he have to retune the ecu so it knows there is less mass on the flywheel?

My shop manager is an asshole anytime I want to keep my car on a lift on anyother day but saterday. He wants $50, and I wasn't trying to dissassemble/re assemble my car 4 different times over two weekends.
These spec flywheels have been known to be way out of balance at times just you never know not the best repeatable quality. You could buy a used flywheel have it lightened and resurfaced and take it along when you get the clutch done. That's what I did 100 bucks for the used one and 100 for lightening and resurface way less than a spec unit and balanced better as well as more drivability.
My 2cents.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
So your spec flywheel wasn't balanced when it arrived at your door?
Yes. It was not balanced from SPEC.

Quote:

I don't know if JZW can tune for it or not. I know that it's possible, without raising the idle, and it's not a problem at all.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

so i have been driving on it for two days now, and i dont love it but i dont hate it either. i actually cant really tell a difference in drivablity between the two. maybe i cant drive or maybe i wont be able to tell a difference till after to break in period. either way im happy with it, its very streetable at low speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in