95 Motor Swap (compatibility) question - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
SAABeginner

95 Motor Swap (compatibility) question

So I have an opportunity to pick up a running (although knocking) 1999 95 for $700 delivered. I have a good B204L bottom end. Is there any reason (other than the loss of displacement) that I could't swap that B204 2.0 bottom end in for the bad 2.3?

I've done 2 93 swaps on 2002 cars but never on a 95.

Thanks dudes

Last edited by BigMike; 04-05-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #2

Hi Mike....

The Bx4 is a common replacement for the B235. (There's a B234 in my 99 9-5)

All accessories are swapable but you'll need the oil pan from the B235 and possibly the timing cover. The head swap is a different beast....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Yeah, the plan was to use the 204 with the 235 head, timing cover & pan. This is going to be my beater, so the idea is just to get something that runs well, not necessarily hard.

Mike

Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
what's wrong with the old engine?

If there's no sludge, and it's just a knock, take of the rod caps, and have a look.
If there's no scoring you might be able to get away with new bearings, and be done.

If it's sludged and gross.... then start looking @ other options.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
dip
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Skype™ to dip
I did exactly this swap on my 1999 9-5 last spring. The old engine blew a piston at 436K km, and I had a spare B204L block sitting in the garage. Very straightforward. Had to relocate the oil pressure sensor (there an alternative socket on the back of the block) and used a B204 head gasket to mate with a B235 head.

Flashed with a Euro 9-5 B205R stage 3 tune from ecuproject. One year and 30K later - still going strong. A little less torque than a 2.3, but longer top end and marginally better fuel economy.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip View Post
I did exactly this swap on my 1999 9-5 last spring. The old engine blew a piston at 436K km, and I had a spare B204L block sitting in the garage. Very straightforward. Had to relocate the oil pressure sensor (there an alternative socket on the back of the block) and used a B204 head gasket to mate with a B235 head.

Flashed with a Euro 9-5 B205R stage 3 tune from ecuproject. One year and 30K later - still going strong. A little less torque than a 2.3, but longer top end and marginally better fuel economy.
That's awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in